Tough to beat this deal if you want an AR-15

Started by gitano, May 22, 2015, 05:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

From the description, I believe it can ship direct, no FFL required.
Is that correct?
Too bad I have no desire for one.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

You are correct. The receiver isn't one because it is not completed and it takes come skill and at least a good drill press (bench-top will work though) to complete it.

There is a 'fun factor' to shooting one, but the reason I ended up so enamoured with them is 1) They are the definition of "switch-barrel", 2) you can assemble a whole rifle from elemental pieces purchased on-line while sitting on your couch, and 3) and most importantly, they shoot REALLY straight without "fiddling".

They're butt-ugly and I don't like the way they spew empty cases, BUT, with respect to those two points, it really MUST be kept in mind that they are a battle-field shoulder-arm. They don't need to be "pretty", and nobody cares where the empties go on a battle-field.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

The chamber, "Wylde" is a compromise between the .223 R. and the 5.56 US, I wonder how effective it actually is.
I have a Handi in  .223 with a 1/9 barrel, but the only use of it I make is to fire the Aguila SSS with a chamber adapter, and now I cannot find any of it.
Some days chicken, some days feathers.

:confused:  :cens:

gitano

From my perspective, the whole .223 Rem, 5.56x45 NATO and the "Wylde" are a tempest in a teapot. The differences between the .223 and 5.56 are minuscule and completely insignificant to operation. The Wylde "compromise is the fix to a problem that didn't exist except in the minds of those that WANT to look like they're "experts". Ditto for the .308 Win vs 7.62x51 NATO.

One can shoot what one wants, but to think the differences in chamber dimensions make ONE WHIT of difference is nothing more than silliness.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Supposedly, the difference is in the jump  the bullet makes, supposed to have a lot to do with precision, of course, this is a bunch of BR guys looking for a difference of a couple of thousands of group size even though the wind and humidity may be making the actual difference.
Everyone needs a hobby.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul, did you fill out a BATFE form#1 before building your ARs?

sakorick

That's why I chose to just get a complete lower through my FFL who charges 15 bucks. The $200 tax is a killer.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

There is no form to fill out and there is no tax.

Form 1 is SOLELY for a National Firearms Act (NFA) "Firearm". Here's the 'strange' part: not all Firearms are NFA "firearms". An NFA "firearm" is a MACHINE GUN (fully automatic), a silencer/supressor, rifle with barrel shorter than 16", or other "devices" that REQUIRE NFA registration. If you have an NFA "firearm" - machine gun, silencer, etc. - or want to build one, you have to fill out Form 1 AND pay the $200 tax. There is no restriction or tax on "citizens" making NON-NFA firearms for their own use. No bolt action rifle with barrel 16" or longer, revolver, semi-auto pistol, or AR that is NOT FULLY AUTOMATIC, requires ANY government form or tax or notice.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Don's question put me on to something...

I decided not to go through with the paperwork and other **** to get a LICENSE to make suppressors. HOWEVER, using the Form 1, I can make all the suppressors I want for the $200 EACH Tax stamp. I can't of course sell them, but I was never interested in that.

Now that's interesting...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: