Centerfire Pellet Gun

Started by gitano, March 27, 2015, 10:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie.270

I have to wonder if a similar sized cartridge with a more modern design and shoulder:neck configuration, like the .218 Bee would be a little more forgiving,...
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

The "k" version has a straighter body, shorter neck, and sharper shoulder - essentially "Ackley'd". I don't know if it's easier to work with or not. I have drilled out the flash-holes on the fired factory Hornady brass. The least that will do is make reloading easier.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I would be thinking along the lines of a wildcat, .38/.357 necked down to .22 , 6mm or .25.
the only problem with the .218 bee is brass, it is getting very hard to find, including the parent .32-20 and .25-20.
I really wish Savage made the .17 superduper RF  rifle they have just brought out in either .32-20 or .25-20.
It should be an easy change as it was done before, regard the 23 a, b, and c models.
Oh,well, just an older person having a flashback.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

drinksgin (deceased)

A friend, now dead, and his wife both had "K" hornets, mostly shot cast gas checked  bullets.
They both liked the cartridge.

Jamie.270

Quote from: drinksgin;138363I would be thinking along the lines of a wildcat, .38/.357 necked down to .22 , 6mm or .25.
the only problem with the .218 bee is brass, it is getting very hard to find, including the parent .32-20 and .25-20.
I have been mulling over the idea of the 22-.357 since this discussion on "finicky" got rolling Don.
Basically, clone the Bee's dimensions as closely as possible with the .357 case, so that brass is more available.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;138350From what I read about the Hornet, (thanks in large part to Branxhunter), the Hornet was pretty darn 'finicky' from the beginning. I never understood Ol' John's dislike of the Hornet. Now I do. Not that I dislike it, but rather I now understand why he does.

Paul

A reason why I like the little Hornet. Most other people don't. But I spend time to make mine work right. If you want easy every time, get a .223.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

QuoteA reason why I like the little Hornet. Most other people don't. But I spend time to make mine work right. If you want easy every time, get a .223.

:MOGRIN:

:biggthumpup::biggthumpup::biggthumpup:

QuoteI would be thinking along the lines of a wildcat, .38/.357 necked down to .22
You mean like the .22 Remington Jet? I have brass and dies.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I just looked at the Jet, seems a real candidate for AKing.
I was actually thinking of the .256 cartridge.
Both are more or less  reshaped .357 mag. case.
Pau,l the Lee bator mold at Midsouth would make  pretty heavy air rifle pellet/ bullet and can be gas checked if needed.

gitano

I found some more pellet gun "bullets" (pellets) at ebay. The look VERY interesting to me, but the shipping from Argentina is a deal killer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORBEA-coppered-pellets-22-x-200-hunting-magnum-heavy-airgun-copper-PCP-Co2-/281649254376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41939a8fe8

These would be trivial to swage or cast. The copper 'washing' would be add a bit too much extra labor so that I wouldn't cast or swage them myself. But, I'll be keeping an eye on these to see if/when a US distributor shows up.

One could Ackley the Jet, but I'm not inclined. I'm not looking for more 'oomph' from these small cases. I'm actually looking for less, to tell the truth. I'm thinking PCP pellet gun "on steroids" performance, (1000 to 2000 f/s range with "heavy for pellet gun" projectile). If I want more 'gas', I'll use the .223 Rem or the Hornet with full-house charges. I do like the idea of the .25 Jet wildcat though.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Bought a tin (£12.25 for tin of 200) of the H&N plated rabbit magnums 25.77 grain should be fun with the Hornet!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Tags: