Asking Aussies About Hornet

Started by gitano, March 07, 2015, 11:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I have been reading that the reason the "K" version of the .22 Hornet was 'created' was to improve the life expectancy of Hornet brass. While I am well aware of the wide-spread belief that "straight-walled" cases last longer than "tapered" cases, it has been my belief that that 'longevity' is only realized in the context of "high pressure" - say over 50 kPSI - cartridges. I would have thought that "low pressure" - say 40 kPSI and lower - pressures wouldn't have much effect on case life.

'You Aussies' seem to shoot more .22 Hornets than the other members of THL, at least for the time being ;), so I thought I'd ask if this was a 'real' issue, or more internet extending 'theory' beyond its original application?

What are you fella's opinions on 'brass' life of .22 hornet? And, if you have some knowledge of, in comparison to .22 K-Hornet brass life.

Thanks,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Not a great deal of info from personal experience, but I have emailed you some information you might find useful.

Marcus

gitano

Thanks, Marcus.

QuickLOAD - other people's versions too - is giving 'strange' results for the .22 Hornet. Extremely high estimated pressures with charges that 'everyone' is finding "just fine". For example: QL predicts a muzzle velocity of 1920 f/s with the 3.0-grain charge in post #11 of this thread http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18245&page=2, and the actual measured average of four shots is only about 1670 f/s. That's 250 f/s, a 13% error, on the high side.

Looks like I will have to find good loads the old-fashioned way for the Hornet.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

I reckon I have an article somewhere - I think it might be from John Hill in Guns Australia magazine - where he develops a full power load and reduced load that shoot to the same windage but approx 2-3" difference in elevation at 100m. From memory the reduced power load approximates the 22wmr.

I will try and find it for you.

Marcus

22hornet

I can't really comment about the K Hornet. I had thought about getting my Sportco reamed to the K chamber but in the end I didn't think it was worth it.
 Case life? I don't hot rod my Hornet, keeping things mild I am on the 5 reload of my current batch of Remington cases. And these cases I have had to do some work to before they were "shootable".
 I generally lose cases before I have to junk them. I have got some, about 25, Highland cases (PPU) which are way better quality compared to Remington or Winchester brass. I would like to chase up some more when my Remington ones are lost, junked, retired.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

No "K" versions here. I don't really see the need since I have a few .223 Rems.

I have been trying to get the PPU brass or ammo, but no luck. Both are about 1/2 the price of domestic stuff from Remington, Hornady, and Winchester.

That would be great, Marcus, thanks!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: