Here's an interesting "8mm"

Started by gitano, February 15, 2015, 08:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Me too. I'm just not sure I like it $750 worth.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Well, go ahead and buy it, have it shipped to Northwest Pawn here in Craig and I'll shoot it a few (hundred) times and get back to you.

:MOGRIN:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Here's another one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=468087710 I've been watching that has also reached the "no-go" stage for me. I like Rugers, and I REALLY like falling block Rugers, AND I've recently developed an interest in the .22 Hornet. BUT, at this stage in my life, "investment" trumps "want". It does have the 'scope, which I MIGHT be able to get $100 for. Still, I don't think I would be able to realize a significant return on investment in a reasonable time.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

:stop: Why on earth is that rifle worth $650! You have to be kidding me! A bog standard Martini that someone has run a 32 Special reamer into the chamber. Does it come with a decent rifle as well?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

QuoteDoes it come with a decent rifle as well?
:MOGRIN:

Martini's are less available here than "there", 22hornet. Demand drives the price in a free market.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Can that cadet handle a full load of 32 Win Special. Not much meat around that receiver?

That's a long chambering for that type of martini.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Paul Hoskins

I missed the Mauser. I don't like 8mm's anyway. The Martini Cadet at that price is a joke. I bought one in 32 Win. Spl. years ago for 15 dollars. I might still have the action laying around somewhere. I rebarrelled it for the 218 Bee 50 or 60 years ago. Sometimes the breech block trough has to be opened up for the 32 Win. Spl. cartridge but not always. .....Paul H

gitano

If you read the description, the seller explains about the rechambering and it's 'appropriateness'. Since the auction has closed, I copied it below:

QuoteHere's a nice Martini Cadet re-chambered back in the 60s to 32 Winchester Special. I have probably run well over 3,000 rounds through this rifle in the years I've had it. While there's a literal mountain of bunk online about this caliber in this little rifle, I can personally testify that only one part of it is true. Namely, shooting factory 170 grain jacketed bullets from the Cadet IS NOT recommended. Even if you're used to heavy sharp recoil, it WILL HURT. However, on the other hand, with the right bullet and load this is one very sweet-shooting little gun and is very accurate. I do not generally use either cast or jacketed in weights over about 160 grains, not because of bullet weight, but because of bullet length. The 1:16" rifling with a .320" groove diameter on this rifle will stabilize such bullets out to about 75 yards, but then it gets a bit uncertain and grouping opens-up. Some 32-cal (.321") 170 grain bullets do 'ok', such as those from Oregon Trail or Missouri Bullets ... they do fine, but a lighter/short bullet is better. In a pinch, under 75 yards, you can rely on this rifle to do for any small/medium game, but that's not really the main use for the Cadet. For casual shooting and good accuracy, I use any jacketed, solid or cast bullet under 160 grains, this has included pulled 150 grain 8mm bullets ex-Turkish and Ecuadorean ammo in years gone by. Those all shot very well indeed. Included with this rifle in this sale is a new/unused 3x 160gr gas check bullet mold from Accurate Molds (was about $115, delivered) which will produce the optimal 160 grain bullet weight/type for this rifle's bore. This was my 'spare' mold and hasn't been used. My best results with 'store-bought' jacketed bullets have come with using available .323" 125 grain jacketed SP bullets. The very best of all were the 8mm Kurtz 125 grain turned brass bullets sold by Buffalo Arms (seemingly, they're out now). I have a sizable inventory of all these bullets which I'll be selling in due course. The wood shows the typical wear and tear you'll find on a 100+ year old Cadet that spend decades in the hands of Aussie teenagers. I never got around to refinishing the wood, but that would also be well worth doing. Main thing to know is that this is a good, solid accurate rifle in the hands of someone who is willing to make the effort to 'feed' it the correct diet.

The pictures weren't great, and I thought I could see some rough spots on the sided of the receiver. That coupled with some comments about needing rebluing (I redacted those as they weren't about the chambering), and I wasn't interested at anything more than about $250.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: