116-year-old Drilling Takes Moose

Started by gitano, September 17, 2014, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Thanks, Marcus. You may be right.

Don - Most of the 'rivalry' I've picked up on - and not too much of that, really - has come from the other direction. It is interesting to observe what components of one's personality one's children inherit. Erin is pretty much "what you see is what you get" and Caitlin is more difficult to read. Only her youth allows an occasional revelation of the 'simmering cauldron'.

Rick - It is difficult to get youth to appreciate 'moments'. To the young - and rightly so - "there'll be another". It is only the repeated experiences of "that's gone forever" that we learn to appreciate special moments.

A "flame" I am willing to "keep" is the one that preserves the 'moments' for those that have yet to appreciate them. This recovered bullet is a good example. When I dug it out, there was very brief interest by Caitlin. A quick look, and back to the butchering. I had to stop and say "That's the real trophy, here", and make an issue of making sure that it got put in a place where it wouldn't be lost. That caused the 'wheels to start turning, and by the time we had gotten back to the house, she had fully embraced its significance and taken 'ownership'. I had to ask where it was when I wanted to measure it and take pictures of it. She dug it out of a special keepsake box I made for her some years back.

I'm still processing meat. I just completed the 42# of burger from the neck. The tenderloins (3# each) and backstraps (total 25#) were taken care of the next day. The weather has been too hot, at 50 to 54 during the day, and only 48 at night. The quarters and ribs are still hanging, but I'm keeping a close eye on them. I wish it would get into the low 40s during the day and low 30s over night. But, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. I'm happy that I can watch them closely and have the processing station nearby so that when the time is right, they can be taken directly to it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Awesome!!! Moose season kicks off here tomorrow!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

drinksgin (deceased)

I must have missed the cartridge ,  It appears to be an 11mm something, from the small rim,I would guess the Mauser.
Caitlin did a really nice job, but then she does.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

The cartridge is an 11.2mm (~0.440") "something". I don't know what, but if you go to the second link in the first post in this thread, you can read about the "development". It's a 'strange' one. The rim diameter is the same as the .348 Winchester, which I wouldn't call "small".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

It appears similar to the 11.15mm x60 Mauser, introduced about 1875, The rim is noticeably smaller than a number of cartridges from that period as it was designed to be used in a magazine rifle rather than a SS and the references recommend making it from the .348 case.
If it is the Mauser and not the Spanish, I believe Lee has a die set for it.
There are 2 Spanish, the original and the reformado, which is slightly reshaped from the original.
A lot of RBs are reformado,many are arsenal updates .

gitano

Based on measurements from the chamber cast and fired cartridges, it is neither the Mauser nor the Spanish cartridge. I looked 'long and hard' at all three of the cartridges you mention. The Reformado was the closest, but it was still WAY off.

Something that has bothered me from the outset is that the holes in the bullet trap in the butt do not fit the unfired cartridges (or the chamber cast). Which suggests that the arm was rechambered OR restocked at some point. I do not believe it was restocked, as the existing stock has 3 pellets from a shotgun in it. Of course it could have been restocked once before it 'received' the pellets. I also don't THINK it's been rechambered. The trouble with that is that the unfired cartridges don't fit the trap. Not even close, really.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

.Interesting, if you have time can you post a dimensioned drawing?
Of course, it may be a very limited production proprietary cartridge as was the almost .44-40 of the Collath you used for a boat anchor.

gitano

Go here http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15192 and look through the first 10 posts (the first page). The chamber cast, its measurements, a drawing, and all the cartridges considered and compared are in those first 10 posts.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Here are pictures of all of the cartridges considered:

The 11.15x60R LK Express

Here is the drawing I produced based on measurements of the casting:

and

And here are various pictures of the casting:

A "slug" of the muzzle:

Fired cases:

Bullet choices:

Sidexside comparison with some cartridges on hand:

And the comparison chart:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Great job! That will be some good eating.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: