Back to Choices...

Started by gitano, April 01, 2013, 05:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22hornet

My vote goes to the 8x33mm Kurz. But I like going for the underdog. :grin:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

22hornet - That's where my heart is too, but because of it's head size, it is being relegated to the AR-10 platform. While the overall cartridge size is perfect for the AR-15, it is a ROYAL pain in the butt (read EXPENSIVE AND LONG WAIT) getting bolts for cartridges that aren't based on the .223. Even the x39 bolt is at least $50 more than the exact same bolt for the .223 head. The AR manufacturing community is extremely GREEDY.

RJ and Jamie.270 - I simply have an aversion to mold-makers other than Lee. That's not to say I WON'T use them, I just don't LIKE them so I don't look very hard at them. I've cast too many good bullets from $25 Lee molds to believe that one has to have an $85 to $200 mold to cast "good" bullets. That said, I would 'bite the bullet', (couldn't resist), and purchase a mold from one of the other mold-makers for a "specialty" application. I still wouldn't "like" it.

RJ - ONE of the "problems" I have with Lyman is that they NEVER show what the bullets look like. It is as if they are saying "We know what's right for you. You don't need to know what the bullet looks like." I don't care for that kind of arrogance COUPLED with what I consider to be high prices. THEN ADD ANOTHER $40 FOR HANDLES! I have no idea what that 204-grain bullet looks like. Since I am LOOKING for a specific LOOK - as close to a cylinder as I can get - it's difficult to decide if that bullet would 'fit the bill'.

Jamie.270 - I note three things on the Midway page:

1) Heaviest bullet is nominally 200 grains. That is a 'middle of the road' weight for .358. I'm looking for HFC for subsonic.
2) $165 or $169 - THAT ain't happenin'.
3) To add insult to injury - "Special Order - 90+ days"

That Lyman is a good-looking bullet, and I might cough up the $65 for the mold, but it's also only nominally 195 grains. At least I can see what the bullet looks like by seeing the mold.

The two pre-cast Hunters Supply are excellent choices! Thanks! I'm going to have to see about those 300-grainers.

Yeah, the Woodleighs are "out" for the very reasons you note. Although, it's surprising how slow a twist rate can be used as the bullet diameter goes up. For example, I was surprised to find out that I could use a 1:16 twist rate with a 1.2", 250-grain 8mm cylinder that was only doing 1050 f/s. As the caliber increases, 'it' just gets better. I don't anticipate any problems with twist rate in any of the larger calibers.

Pointing out the pre-cast option also reminds me of what I was thinking about a couple of days ago... Taking existing Oregon Trail 405-grain, .458 bullets I have and swaging them down to something smaller, possibly as small as .358. Certainly .416 or .375 are realistic options. You may recall that I have used those bullets as cores for my .510" bullets for the .50 Alaskan.

Keep in mind that I now have a press made specifically for swaging. Essentially, what I am considering is a "core swage die" as the "point forming die". A cylinder (core) with a slight curve at the point to facilitate feeding.

Thank all of you for the links, comments, and suggestions. SERIOUSLY. I hope my comments haven't made you think I don't appreciate the input. I DO!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I should mention that there are considerations other than just "what looks best on paper". If I don't use an 8mm bullet, I am going to have to get another barrel. Sort of. "You" may recall that I just purchased a 'bunch' (10) barrels from the bankruptcy auction of A-Square Bullets. Among those 10 barrels, (all pressure test barrels that are 2" in diameter at the breech and 1.25" at the muzzle), are FIVE in .416 caliber and one in .358. (The other four are .30-40 Krag, .303 British, .425 Express, and 20 ga shotgun.) So...

If I don't use a .416 or .358 bullet, I'll be looking for another barrel. Not TOO big of a deal, but since I can't find any A&B barrels any more, "cheap" 'has left the building'.

By the way... I paid $6 for six of the barrels, $9 for one, $10 for one,  $13.50 for one, and $118 for the 20ga. Of course by the time I finish getting them to me - via Hunterbug - I'll end up paying, including delivery, about $50 each. I'm OK with that. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: