New arrows

Started by Hunterbug, February 03, 2013, 06:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Tonight I tried some heavier arrows for my recurve. They're Easton 2315s with a 145gr field point.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

JaDub

Pretty good shooting fer 10 feet.  ;)

Hunterbug

:nana: That was 20 yards with a bare bow.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

LvrLover

I find heavier better with a recurve myself.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Hunterbug

I'm not going to get rid of the carbons though. The tournament in June is outdoors at 60 yards and the one after that is 80 yards so I want to keep my options open.

Niccolo Machiavelli

buckshot roberts

Bug, nice..........I need to take up the bow myself......Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

You do Ron.  You got all that room now, it's nice and quiet, and a great way to relax.  Tell em Bug, probably brings the BP down quite a bit.  Like going to the range, but you don't need hearing protection and don't have to walk as far to check targets!
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Wow! 60 and 80-yd competitions! Positively unethical! ;)

Good shootin'! I'd keep em', too!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

RBH is right, Ron. It's nice and relaxing. I look forward to my "group therapy" sessions. ;) I am looking forward to the longer ranges. I hope that the target is considerable bigger than my current 40x40cm. I wouldn't shoot that far at game with my 30# recurve though as I think that the animal would migrate before the arrow arrived. :D

Niccolo Machiavelli

buckshot roberts

;)I'll start working on that............Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

The longest shot I have ever made on a big game animal - small game too, for  that matter - was 80 paces. It was a 65# bow, not 30#, but contrary to what all the "ethicists" (ptooey) scream, the animal didn't run off to "suffer a lingering death". Even at 80 paces, the arrow passed COMPLETELY through the caribou, and he ran less than 100 yds before 'piling up' - quite dead.

There were considered reasons why I was willing to take such a long shot.

1) It was a relatively 'large' target.
2) It was wide open tundra, in which nothing higher than knee-high grows, therefore I wasn't going to "lose" the bull in the "woods".
3) I knew my weapon - both the lethality of the projectile and its flight characteristics.

My point is this: Modern arrows, POINTS, and bows are very lethal weapons at ranges WAY beyond what the "ethicists" (ptooey) scream. As it is with EVERY weapon Man chooses to use to take game, it is critical that one knows the specific weapon. If one knows one's weapon, there will be no shots taken that would not reasonably lead to the animal's quick death. Arbitrary "ethical" standards - like the typical 20 to 30 yd that the archery ethicists scream - are stupid. And stupid is as "nice" as I can put that.

I'm just amazed - and I MEAN amazed - that there isn't screaming and shouting, gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair, about how bad an "example" it is setting to "practice" at 60 and 80 yd.

For what ever reason, I never found archery target practice "relaxing". Neither do I find it "stressful". It's just not something I would choose to do to "relax". Now, a walk in the 'woods' to find bunnies and grouse to arrow, that would be relaxing. Reloading I find relaxing. Weaving at loom, I find relaxing. Working on a lathe, be it wood or metal, I find relaxing.

I think, just like with fly-fishing, the ethics fascists, have taken all the "relax" out of the activity for me. I am genuinely happy for those that can ignore the the shrill screams of "Look at me. I'm important. I know what's right, and I'm going to tell you what is right", that the ethics fascists insist on shouting in everyone's faces. They become 'religious zealots' and insist on wearing their new-found religion on everyone else's nose.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: