The Hunter's Life

The Hunter's Life (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//index.php)
-   FIREARMS & OPTICS (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A New Rifle (http://thehunterslife.com/forums//showthread.php?t=18178)

Brithunter 03-10-2015 02:02 PM

Re: A New Rifle

OK Gitano ........................................ I'll keep my thoughts to myself and my own council.

BTW I would read other forums on THL but my lists start once again at Big game nowt above that.

gitano 03-10-2015 02:12 PM

I'm not sure what going on with that, BH. I haven't changed anything recently except moving some "stickies" to the "Reference Library". If you have a Skype account, we can connect and I can look at your settings to see if I can determine what's happening. In the alternative, you might contact j0e_bl0ggs for some 'closer' help.

I'll look around at the general settings and see if I can find something.

Paul

recoil junky 03-10-2015 05:35 PM

IMR7828, 117 grain Sierra Gamekings, Remington brass and CCI primers.

LRJ

gitano 03-10-2015 06:19 PM

With a COAL of 3.25" and 56.1 grains of 7828, QL predicts 3177 f/s, at a modest - for this cartridge - 57,000 PSI. So, according to QL and "quick and dirty" numbers, you shouldn't be seeing any pressure. That is of course if you are using something close to this charge.

With that bullet at that MV, it's got pretty nice external ballistics with 200 yd zero; 5.5" low and 1600 ft-lbs at 300 yd.

According to the 'experts', that's an elk cartridge. It'll certainly handle mule deer and pronghorns.

Paul

j0e_bl0ggs 03-11-2015 08:04 AM

Nice rifle RJ, quite like the 25-06 too!

Brithunter 03-11-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gitano (Post 137914)
I'm not sure what going on with that, BH. I haven't changed anything recently except moving some "stickies" to the "Reference Library". If you have a Skype account, we can connect and I can look at your settings to see if I can determine what's happening. In the alternative, you might contact j0e_bl0ggs for some 'closer' help.

I'll look around at the general settings and see if I can find something.

Paul

Sorry no skype .................... perhaps I should look into what is required. Hmmm I do have mic and head phone from the Xbox 360. I beleive that bit is still in the box. No camera here though. Will look into it a bit more.

The site did this once before then it seemed to reset itself.

recoil junky 03-11-2015 07:15 PM

I was hoping to see some numbers from QuickLoad. Thanks Paul. I need to measure the case volume in cc's of water so we can be more accurate.

I'm right at 55 grains of IMR7828 right now. I want to say the COAL is 3.155. This because the farther I seated the bullet IN the more accurate it got. Kinda like the 300RUM in that respect. Weird huh. :stars:

If the weather holds I'm going to play with it more this weekend. I have to go to my Marine's welcome home barbecue on Saturday after I take him and his girlfriend out for breakfast.

Paul, he's the one in the video on facebook you "liked". To say I'm proud of him is an understatement!!! OOrah!!!

RJ

gitano 03-11-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

This because the farther I seated the bullet IN the more accurate it got. Kinda like the 300RUM in that respect. Weird huh.
Not weird to me at all. Seating depth changes timing. It's that simple. Lotsa folks, myself included, think that the optimum off-the-lands distance is between 65 and 120 thou. This of course flies in the face of the benchrest 'experts' that insist that on-the-lands is the only way to go. They are wrong, and I'll make no apologies for saying so until they apologize for the harm they've done to the hunting reloading community.

According to QL, 55 grains of 7828 with a COAL of 3.155" gives an estimated MV of 3155 f/s. That's pretty close to your 3173. Estimated pressure is only 55,920 PSI. "On paper", you've got 'room to move'.

Is the marine coming back from boot or over-seas?

Paul

PS - Just noticed COAL of 3.155 and estimated MV of 3155.

Paul

recoil junky 03-12-2015 06:52 PM

He just got back from over there. He's a V22 Osprey mechanic on the USS Makin Island (LHD-8)

As with the 300RUM, I am over the stated velocity before a "maximum" load was reached by a goodly amount.

We agree (which is rare :toff: :clown:) on benchrest shooters. PTOOEY!!!

It is the opinion (unproven with accurately gathered data) of this shooter that with the bullet closer to or touching the lands that dangerous pressure spikes can be seen in over bore cartridges or cartridges with freebore (like the 300RUM) I experienced this while working up loads for my 22-250, .243, 7mm Mag and 300RUM.

As for "room to move" that's exactly what I'm going to do 1/10 of a grain at a time until I reach the desired accuracy or I get pressure signs.

RJ

gitano 03-12-2015 08:46 PM

We agree completely about "on" and "off" lands, RJ.

I used to increase loads in 0.1 grain increments, but I read from reliable sources - mostly the fellow that developed the Optimal Charge Weight theory - that 0.3 grain increments show 'things' more definitively. Then when a .3 grain spread looks best, I move to .1 between them. However, changes in ambient temperature can mask a .1 grain difference.

I'm not trying to tell you how to work up a load! You're long past the need for any of that. I'm just passing on some of the changes I have gone through as I moved down my reloading path.

Looks like you're going to get some good velocity from that rifle.

Paul