Desert Eagle

Started by Bruce Baldwin, September 07, 2007, 06:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Baldwin

My son has acquired a Desert Eagle in the .357 Magnum caliber.  However, I am not able to find any reloading data for it.  Can anyone help me?  The manufactuer does not recommend reloading, but I suspect someone out there is doing it.:confused:

subsonic

A friend of mine had one he got in a trade and was reloading for it. It was about 10 years ago.

He ended up selling it.....

Accuracy and reliability with reloads was terrible and it was so heavy that it was a bear to carry around and shoot.

You can only use jacketed bullets with no lead bearing surface, no half jacket sierra stuff or cast bullets. Crimp must be a taper crimp, I beleive, and cases must headspace on the case mouth to have any accuracy (see .38 super). You can maybe use a 9mm or .38 super taper crimp die for this? Loads have to be near max with a slow pistol powder like 2400 or AA9.

Google "desert eagle forums", I'm sure there is one. They will tell you better than I can, as that was 10 years ago.

Bruce Baldwin

Hello subsonic,
Thanks for your reply.  I have tried H110 at the max for .357 Mag from the Lyman handbook.  Of course, I use a FMJ bullet.  It seems to work the action OK, but it does seem to be a very powerful load.  That's why I was asking for other loads from members.
Thanks again.
Bruce Baldwin:)

subsonic

The DE is a heavy pistol, the humongous grip spreads the recoil over a large part of your hand, and the gas operation tends to suck up what recoil is there, so they are very soft shooting guns for the calibers they come in.

The .357 we messed with kicked less than a 9mm in a light pistol.

If you can deal with the shortcomings I mentioned, and don't mind looking for scattered brass, they are pretty good guns. The one we messed with had a great trigger and the sights were nice. Overall quality was pretty good too.

We like revolvers better for magnum stuff though.

Bruce Baldwin

Hey subsonic,
Thanks again for your reply.  I'll try a forum.
Bruce Baldwin

Tags: