Lion in the Kalahari

Started by grayghost, July 30, 2007, 05:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayghost

In the end....the Hunter hunts himself

Daryl (deceased)

Man, that's nice!

Wanna share the story?  I'd love to read it!  

:)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

davidlt89

that is one big cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would also like a little information on this hunt, especially the caliber off the gun.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

grayghost

In May of this year, we were in the Kalahari region that borders Botswana. I put this hunt together with the help of one of my PH's I book for. We were assisted by a small group of Bushmen trackers who did an outstanding job of following Lion tracks and sorting out where three Lions had split up after an early morning drink from a small dam (pond). We chose to follow the single set of tracks as opposed to the twin set. Dealing with one Lion is always a better proposition than having two to sort out. Eventually the trackers found where the Lion we were following had laid under the shade of a thorn bush. It soon became evident that he knew we were following him. I first saw him moving through the high tawny grass about 100 yards ahead of us. We instantly made a circuitius flanking movement at the double quick to cut off his retreat. Gaining his flank I no more than made eye contact when things went south fast. He gave me "the stare" and his tail started the "three flips and I'm charging" twitch. Our lead PH ordered me to "shoot him, shoot him in the face." One of our group injected "set up the sticks" but there was no time as only 40 yards separated us. As those piercing golden eyes squinted he lunged and I fired a 300 grain Swift A frame into his chest, just below his chin. This pushed him backward and as I chambered another round into the CZ's .375 H&H chamber, he spun to his right and I double lunged the beast. He immediately took shelter behind a dense thorn bush to sort out his options. "Shoot again" came an order. I replied I didn't have the shot, but I kept the CZ mounted and the low power Leupold cross hairs on the dark form now crouching in the bush. What seemed like 10 minutes was probably only 10 seconds before the Lion bolted from the safety of the bush. Making an exit stage right, I put another A-frame into his massive neck, killing him instantly. Only after approaching the dead King did I feel weak in the knee's. His fangs were long and claws needle sharp. The entire staff, PH's, trackers and skinners gave me nothing less than a hunt I will always remember. I would take this hunt again tomorrow, but Leopard is next. I've taken 2 but they are an awesome animal to hunt and very cagey. I just received a call today about a Buffalo and Elephant hunt next to Kruger park. Should be a great hunt for someone who likes hunting the Big 5. Good hunting, grayghost

Mauserfan in TX

Thanx for the post, It got my heart rate up just reading it.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

grayghost

Glad you enjoyed it. I hope to do it again someday, but Leopard and Cape Buffalo are first. With the cost of hunting in the US getting so expensive, Africa becomes a better deal. Plus, I just like hunting over there.

Mauserfan in TX

Hey GrayGhost, I am really digging your pics and once again thanx for posting them. I am using them to keep my wife fired up for a trip to Africa.To me chasing the warthogs around would just be oh so much fun. She wants to get a Zebra. Maybe oneday............
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

grayghost

Just let me know when your ready to go. I have places that are perfect for Husband and Wife. She can hunt Zebra and you can hunt unlimited Warthog and Bushpig. Sometimes I have reduced fee hunts for younger Warthog. Take you a big hog and then hunt the young ones. Good hunting, grayghost

gitano

That is an extraordinary lion and an oustanding picture! Sounds like it was a great hunt too.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

grayghost

Thanks Paul, it was one of the most exciting hunts I've ever done. I hope to do it again in the future. Lion hunting has just soared through the roof in Tanzania, from a trophy fee of $2,500 to $12,000! But Zimbabwe and South Africa still offer hunting at reasonable prices.
Good hunting, grayghost

AZ Shooter Gal

three shots offhand at a moving lion, under 40 meters, YIKES!  amazing cool my man.:biggthumpup: awesome. the cat of a lifetime. what did he weigh?

grayghost

Weight was estimated by the PH, Bushmen trackers (6) and an associate of my PH to be 500-525 pounds, live weight. I can tell you his head alone felt like a sack of rock when I lifted it up. Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.
Good hunting,
grayghost

grayghost

Finished mount, ready to ship.

AZ Shooter Gal

fabulous mount. now, do you have a room large enough to display him

properly??

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: AZ Shooter Gal;78704fabulous mount. now, do you have a room large enough to display him

properly??

If not, and it were mine, I'd build the room.  No problem at all.

:)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: