Hmmm it's a little bit WET!

Started by Brithunter, June 26, 2007, 12:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi All,

Not sure if you have heard but the UK has been having some storms and a lot of wet stuff. Large parts of the Midlands are flooded, Sheffield, Leeds and S****horpe all have flooded areas, we on the East Coast have had not only torrential rain but high winds as well.  The city of Hull is flooded and I believe Grimsby has been hit hard too. Luckily on the fens here where I live despite it actually being below sea level has not been hit so hard no doubt due the the drains, dykes, ditches and pumping stations. Those Dutch enginners who drained this land 300 or so years ago really did a fine job :) .

Hopefully the flooding in our back garden will not last too long as if it does all our vegtable crops will be spoiled. We grow a lot of it in a "Poly-Tunnel" which is a tubular metal hooped frame covered in special UV resitant Polythene sheeting. At present there is about 8" of water in the tunnel and the surrounding veggie plot, the potatoes are submerged as are the Beetroot, Carrots, Broad beans, Peas, Tomatos, Cu***ber and Butternut squash plants. The water would have to rise another foot or so to threaten the actual house. Once I get some phots downloaded from the camera then uploaded I will post them.

In fact it's been such a wet year that our field has not dried out from the winter :eek: in one spot it forms a pond and this has not fully dried out this year at all. The farmer who used to rent it did manage to disc the field earlier in the spring  however as we want to plant trees and grass it really needed to be broken up a bit more and he was going to power harrow it for us but then the rains started and it has been too wet to get machinery on the field. In fact he couldn't get most of the Callibraise crop off due to the wet as the tractors got bogged down.

We are thinking that perhaps it would be a good idead to dig a pond on that wet patch seeing as how it always floods there and if we can get a machine with a back hoe or a mini digger in we will dig soem ditches across the field to drain into the main ditches either side to hopefully drain the field some.

Anyway the ducks seem to like the wet patch as did the Curlews last winter so perhaps all is not lost.
Go Get them Floyd!

Gunslingergirl

Wow, I hadn't heard you were having such big storms over there.  If you can figure out a way to ship some of that water over here, there are some States down South that would probably love to have it.  

I hope the water goes down and your garden survives.
We still do not know one-thousandth of one percent
of what nature has revealed to us.
Albert Einstein

recoil junky

Brit, I'd like to have some of that rain if you can send me a cupful or two. It's getting rather parched here.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

tn.varmit

Brithunter, wow didn`t know y`all were havin such sevier storms. Here in east tennessee we are havin a drought. My garden is strugglin big time. The cukes are about as big as my thumb. The corn is tasslin and silkin but the cobs are no bigger around than a pencil. Have a good set of green tomatoes but new blooms are dryin up and falling off same way with the !/2 runner bean blooms. Even the oakra is some what stunted. Think I`ll go out and wash the Jeep and the truck and leave the windows down. :)

Paul Hoskins

BH, here in northern Ky. we are haveing pretty much what the other guy's are having. My little garden isn't doing well at all since we have had little rain. I only planted one row of beans this year but the deer got in them Sunday night and  did a number. Monday a big doe was out there in them again and I ran her off but she came back at night and brought all her relatives, I reckon. Deer tracks all over the garden. I sowed sunflowers so they would eat them instead of the garden but they prefer the beans anyway..............Paul H

Paul Hoskins

Here is what I'm having to put up with in the garden lately. Deer in the beans and tomatoes and rabbits eating the wife's flowers. As you can see, the upper half of the garden is sunflowers. Normally the deer eat the sunflower plants..............Paul H

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well we are slowly drying out, only had a little drizzle yesterday and not the heavy rain forecast, it by-passed us on the coast and hit further inland it seems. The range where I go shooting which is not far from Lincoln (the City) is most likely flooded as I brought the local county paper whilst visiting the Hospital to get Dad's frame serviced :biggthumpup: ( he wore the rubber feet out) anyway the village next to the range is flooded as is one about 7 miles this side of it called Bardney so the range being on low lying moorland missing out on the flood waters is unlikely :undecided: . I will have to phone and check iof the range is usable this weekend.

Just went outside to feed the fish in the ornamental pond and I see that the water in the garden has dropped about 5" or so and if the rain keeps missing us then we should be able to save our veggies before they rot in the ground and the sun is even showing it's face this morning through breaks in the cloud cover :) . Talking to one of the locals in the Fish & Chip shop which is 5 miles away they are having trouble getting potatoes as they are rotting in the fields from the wet :eek: .

It's officaily been declared as the wettest June in record and I see on the news that a lot of folks have been evacuated as a dam in Yorkshire has cracked under the deluge :eek: . If this link works for you then it should give you some idea how things are here in the UK:-

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/news/video/index.html

If it works you get to see one of our polititions spouting nonsense as normal and showing that he has not got one clue to how things really are :Banghead: .
Go Get them Floyd!

tn.varmit

Paul Hoskins, Great pics. I know they are a bit of a pain but I sure wish I had your deer problem.

Brithunter, Hope you dry out and get to go to the range.

EVeryone have a great day!

gitano

Wait a minit... This is England we're talkin' about here. Isn't this where the term "liquid sunshine" was coined?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Quote from: gitano;63757Wait a minit... This is England we're talkin' about here. Isn't this where the term "liquid sunshine" was coined?

Paul

No Gitano,

I believe your thinking of either the West Coast of Scotland or Ireland this east coast of England is normally much ..................................... much drier. In fact when I lived 25 miles South of London we had more rain than here where Mum & Dad live.

In fact the dry weather here is what caused thie Bungalow to crack in two through subsidence. The one we live in now wa sbuilt about 12 years ago and is built upon pillings and a raft. Some of the pillings go 20 feet deep. No this June has been the wettest on record. In Hull nearly all the schools are closed due to flooding and some are so badly damaged that they say it could be a year before they are fit and safe for the Childrent o return to school there.

Typically if this was somewhere like Indonesia, Africa or Pakistan then our Glorious leader, who is now Mr Brown of course the one who fiddled the budgets here and took the UK to the perlious postion it's now in finacially :frown scheming thief Blair retired, would be on the TV promising Millions in flood relief. Instead it's up to the people to try and salvage what they can and wait for the waters to receed. Depsite the fact that it was the same Mr Brown who cut the flood defence budget drastically over the last few years.

Of course allowign the building of large amounts of properties on flood risk areas regardless of local concerns to provide more housing as we need more an more to house the economic migrants :frown .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: