A fathers influence

Started by davidlt89, June 13, 2007, 03:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

I was just thinking last night about some of the stories I have read and pics I have seen on here of fathers taking thier sons hunting. After a little thought, I was just wondering how much influence do we have on these little fellows, then I got to thinking about my dad. When I was around 6 or 7 my dad bought a second hand deer rifle. He put a weaver scope on it and called it his deer rifle. Now I always new the gun was a .30-06, but I always thought it was a remington. when I was old enough to hunt he first bought me a marlin .22 mag. The next year he got me a winchester model 94AE and I ended up shooting two deer before I graduated highschool and went off to the navy. When I got out of the navy I decided to go with a bigger gun. Now keep in mind, I knew nothing about rifles, in fact, the only reason I know anything about rifles now is because of this forum, I was pretty much rifle and ammo illiterate. Anyway, here I am, 23 years old wondering what I should by myself for a rifle when I remember my dad has a remington. So what do I do, I buy a remington 700 ADL. after that, remington became my preferred rifle of choice, all because my dad had one. This past christmas when I was there I went to the gun cabinet and pulled out a 30-40 krag that my gramps had given him and when I put it back I took out the old 30-06. I kept thinking that I should take it home since my father hasn't hunted in a long time and I got to reading the barell and got a big surprise. For 29-30 years I believed that rifle to be a remington, I based my purchase and made it my personal preference because my dad owned it. As I read down the barell expecting to see remington 700 I got a big surprise, instead of rem 700, it said winchester model 70. That will show you how much I know about guns. My point  is, I made something my personal preference due to the fact I thought it was what my dad had. Funny thing is, if I would of know that from the git go, I would probably have a winchester model 70 downstairs instead of a remington XCR. Has anyone else noticed this kind of influence that thier dad has had on them? God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

queen of the woods

Oh yeah!  My Daddy told me to never buy a savage and I never have.  Winchester and Browning was all he ever had.  He had one of the first automatice 30/06 in our part of the country.  Back in those days everybody hunted with dogs and a automatic was coveted.  The first rifle I bought was a Browing but it wasn't a 30/06 simply because I couldn't find one to fit me.  I'm to short or short-armed for one.  I finally found a 270 that fit me perfect.  

So I guess you could say he influenced me but I went out on my own on some stuff too.
I\'d rather hunt with Dick Chaney than ride with Ted Kennedy

RatherBHuntin

Very cool story David, and very good point.   Sometimes because thats what dad did is reason enough for anything.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

drinksgin (deceased)

Being raised up in an extended family that almost all had either lever actions or sxs's, I have never been able to overcome aversions to guns with pot bellies[ magazines showing], no lever, either on the bottom or on the top, knobby handles sticking out the side,  or parts that slip and slide back and forth..
At 66 years old, it is likely too late to change my tastes.
;D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: