Buffalo Size Hog

Started by Paul Hoskins, May 27, 2007, 03:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

This varmint was killed by an 11 year old boy in Ark. or Ala. with a 50 cal. S&W according to the news article. I couldn't get a good picture of it to post but it gives you an idea how big it is. Sure wouldn't want to meet his pappy in a dark alley at night. It supposedly weighed 1,051 pounds. ............Paul H

Daryl (deceased)

I don't doubt that the hog weighed as said, but...

They also put the hog close to the camera, and the kid behind it to make it look even larger than it is.

My horse weighs about the same as that hog, if not slightly more, and doesn't appear half that large laying down.

For some idea of how this has been exploited, try this link:

http://www.monsterpig.com/

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

Daryl,

It actually is for real this time....1,060 pounds shot 10 times by a .460 Express and weighed on certified scales....

Had to chainsaw a path through the woods and carry it out on a tractor...

Was on the news last night...

-Greg
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

Greg,

Actually, I've heard up 'till now that it was shot 8 times, weighed 1051 lbs, and was shot with a 50 caliber handgun (.500 S&W).

I'm not doubting the weight of the hog; I'm just disappointed that they've tried to make the hog look even bigger than it really is by carefully placing the kid in the photographs.

If that hog was as big as it looks in the picture most often posted, it'd weigh at least twice as much as my horse. My horse weighs almost exactly the claimed weight of that hog.

Again, I'm not doubting the weight of the hog; I'm only stating my thoughts about other aspects of it. Congrat's to the kid who got it, but they're sure exploiting it for all it's worth.

Daryl

Not to rain on this kid's parade, but...

A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Paul Hoskins

Daryl, I have to agree most guides and outfitters like you to have your picture taken behind the trophy to make it appear bigger than it really is and my bear guide and close friend in Maine is no exception. It's something I would never allow. It still doesn't detract from the enormous size of the varmint the kid killed. I congratulate him on his accomplishment. It's something I'll never do in my lifetime................Paul H

Paul Hoskins

Incidentally, the little redheaded varmint in the last pic. is a serious hunter now. She has killed bear, deer, bobcat,coons and all sorts of small game. She is still trying for a moose and turkey. She is about eleven years old now I think............Paul H

Brithunter

Hi All,

Yep this photo sure seems to be doing the rounds :undecided: .

It's quite obvious that the boy is quite a way behind the Pig and I really detest that. Why cannot they just show it how it really is? As I have not seen the Pig in real life I cannot say much about the weight but the weight claimed is not out of the realms of possibilty seeing as how it looks like a Domestic pig gone feral. Breeds here like the Saddle Back, Large White often go 70 stone (980 lbs) and that was 65 years ago when Dad left school and worked for the local Butcher who back then slaughtered the beasts them selves. With improved breeding and feeds I have no doubt that Pigs can be larger nowadays.

Heck before I moved I used to shoot foxes and rabbits on a small dairy farm and they had some Freison cows which were monsters, biggest I have ever seen :eek: . They must have been a good quarter bigger than other cows I had come across before.

All power to the lad but all this manlipulation will surely sour what should have been great memories :( .
Go Get them Floyd!

drinksgin (deceased)

I was at a sale barn when they ran a pig through that weighed 1270 lb , ran may be an exaggeration, lumbered would be more like it.
That one was also black and looked like a bison with the legs sawed off at the knees.
The picture reminds me of the fishing rags pictures of fish.
The article I saw said it was going into sausage, so it would appear the animal was taken care of soon enough to eat, rather than throwing the animal in a hole in the ground as the Hogzilla animal was.
I made some kielbasa just before my wife got sick, but it was 12lb, not the 5-600lb this one will make.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Gmoney

Daryl,

I agree totally on the picture...

Why would someone feel they had to that that with the biggest pig ever killed?
Always got to make it better somehow I reckon by any means short of photoshop....

We ate a 30 pound hog yesterday and imagining throwing this guy on a firepit is actually humorous...
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

davidlt89

I agree on the picture also. Pig is big enough, don't need to try and make it look bigger than it is, and it is really obvious that is what they are doing. If the boy was back any further you would only see his head!!!!!!!
   I also went to the website daryl posted and read some of the comments people wrote. There certainly are some pretty negative people out there. It is funny how some of them, who I am assuming are claiming to be good Christians, can tell this boy he is going to burn in ****, call him everyname in the book, tell him they wish he would get shot 10 times, drag the LORD's name through the mud, then say that he is a bad Christian. I would expect more out of people, even if they are anti's. Just hit a nerve with me.
Anyway, I do have a question, being from Maine I obviously don't know anything about hog hunting. What do they mean when they call it a "feral" pig? God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Alboy

FERAL

Generally means its ancesters were raised in captivity and they escaped at some time.

From the TPW web site

Feral hogs (Sus scrofa) are an old world species belonging to the family Suidae, and in Texas include European wild hogs, feral hogs, and European-feral crossbreeds. Feral hogs are domestic hogs that either escaped or were released for hunting purposes. With each generation, the hog?s domestic characteristics diminish and they develop the traits needed for survival in the wild.

This little fella will go about 120 lbs
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Daryl (deceased)

David,

I guess I missed the 'negative' comments page the first time through. Sorry about that, amigo. Pretty sad, really.

They must think it's funny, but it sure detracts from their page.

Alboy pretty well summed up "feral".

Daryl

RIP Linden33

nrthrn_maine_hunter

I think the pic with the kid and his dad show a better represntation of the actual size.
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Brithunter

Hmmmm even in the photo of it hanging the father and Son would appear to be standing back a little from the beastie.

On another note there is no way even converted in sausage and bacon rashers could I fit that "little" piggy in our freezers.
Go Get them Floyd!

Paul Hoskins

Well, it appears the pig is out of the poke now. I just read a news report that the big pig killed by 11 year old Jamison Stone wasn't wild at all and was in a 150 acre fenced field. I sorta smelled a rat from the begenning. ...........Now we know. Some people will stoop to anything for publicity.........Paul H

Tags: