High density shotgun ammo

Started by LT118, April 08, 2007, 07:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT118

Has anyone used this new Remington Wingmaster HD ammo???? At 20+ dollars a box for 5 rounds of the turkey ammo I want somebody else's opinion before I spend that much money LOL

Daryl (deceased)

You know, I don't blame you one bit.

I haven't hunted turkey's much, but I haven't had any kind of a hard time dropping them when I did.

I never had to have any $4.00 per shell ammo to do it, either.  about 17years ago I bought a box of 2 3/4" 20 gauge #4 mag loads made by federal.  Since then, I've shot 4 turkeys, and still have 21 shells left.  Back then I paid about $13.00 for 25 shells, and it sounded kinda high to me then.

To each his own though; if folks want to use expensive ammo, I sure won't hold 'em back.  With the cost of hunting these days, the ammo is a small part of it.  If it gives someone more confidence in their load, then have at it, but I really don't believe that it's necessary.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Paul Hoskins

What Daryl said. I don't do a lot of turkey hunting but the old Stevens single shot and Rem. hi brass #6's do all I need done. I use a 20 ga. and it has been modified just for turkey hunting. I lopped the 26 inch barrel back to 18.5 inches and made a four inch long choke and sleeve soldered it on. I tried several loads including three inch shells with heavy loads and couldn't find anything that gave satisfactory patterns till I shot the Rem. Express #6's in it. On a turkey head taarget at 40 yards it puts 9 to 13 pellets in the kill zone. If that doesn't work, I'll quit hunting turkeys.  ............Paul H

nrthrn_maine_hunter

I have to agree as far as turkies go, lead is plenty heavy enough.
with geese, it may give you some extra beacuse steel is so lite.
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

buckshot roberts

:hat: It's all a lot "HYPE" that $10 dollar stuff has taken many a turkey for me:hanged:... but if your rich...:greentongue: and like to spend ya money get me a box too.... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Paul Hoskins

Amen Ron, ..........Good to see you back from time to time. Just not often enough...................Paul H

buckshot roberts

:hat: I done a field test on some ammo last week...:frown but do to tatctical difficulties I did not get the photos..:Banghead:... that 10 dollar stuff from winchester held up to the high dollar stuff.... as LT 118 saw........ the best of the best was the 3 inch winchester Xtended range shotshell I got at wal-mart for $33 bucks that a lot of money for 10 rounds... if  you have the cash get a box... I got over 20 shots in the kill zone at 70 yards... man thats over 200 feet... just could make at the turkey head.. at that range... but at 40 yards and at 25 yards... OOOO man.. I gave LT 118 the last 3 rounds.. so he can see how good it was... I shot 35 rounds of 3's and 3 1/2 turkey loads last monday.... LOL... I had the shoulder to show for it... that winchester superme for 10 bucks out did the federal flitecontrol ... hands down... out of my shotgun.... not here to say anything bad about any companys ammo... The remington ammo came in just under the winchester by 10 shots less in the kill zone .... but thats from my shotgun.... an the turkey ck that came with it... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Daryl (deceased)

Ron,

I shot a turkey several years ago at around 70 yards.  Used an old Win 37 in 20 gauge, shooting Federal #4 2 3/4 inch mag loads.

That turkey had a broken wing, a broken leg, and several hits to it's head.  Maybe my shotgun just likes that load, but it sure shoots tight patters with 'em!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Ron,
Thank you for a great range report on these loads.
Very informitave and interesting.
I was wondering about these loads and now i know where to start.
Obviously I know it depends on my gun.
We'll have to giv em a try before I head out.
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

LT118

Hey Ron I tried out that ammo you gave me and I also borrowed a few rounds from a friend to try out and this is what I found. My gun set up consists of a Remington 870 super mag sp with a primos jellyhead .665 extended choke tube and it likes the hevi shot the best so far out of all that ammo. Everything I shot was #6 and it was all 3 1/2 inch mag except for the winchester extended range stuff which was 3 inch.

The ammo I was using was winchester extended range, Federal premium mag shock, Remington Hevi shot, and the name brand Hevi shot called Hevi-13. At the start I was shooting 30 yards to see how it patterened in my gun and after a number of rounds of 3 1/2 inch shells I didn't want to move back any further lol. So the long and the short of it is this. Out of my gun the Hevi-13 had the best patteren followed by the remington then the federal and then the winchester.

About the first of next week i'm going to move my targets out to 40 and 50 yards to see how the patterns open up and I may try a different chole tube to see if it has a huge affect on what I'm doing.

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: Well it goes to show ya... some shotguns just don't like some brands of ammo..:undecided: maybe someday these guys that do the ammo test's, should just take the most widely used models of "TURKEY" shotguns per say and just field them with the factory "Choke's" and see how they do....with all brands of turkey loads..... this is the only photo I have of that test.... it's at 70 yards... I took a pic after each shot....it's hard to get your targets back after the trash man cometh...:Banghead: Ya live an learn... as ya go... LOL. Ron

OBTW I was using my super-x model 2 with it's factory turkey choke...... and in full turkey hunting gear... that I use... I set it up just like a hunt....

Daryl (deceased)

Man, look at the pattern on that target!  Your shotgun must really like that expensive ammo.  That'd be a dead turkey for sure.

:D ;)

Daryl

RIP Linden33

buckshot roberts

:hat: Ok Daryl. :biggthumpup: HA..HA.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .You know me and LT118, were working on this for two weeks, even worked overtime and took one day off to do this..... "But" as I was telling another member on the phone today... If your going to use your wifes.... :oops: canon let here know so she does not remove your pics to make room for her woman kind of stuff... and don't get mad :lipsrsealed:..... if ya like to eat in mornings....:bowdown: like I do....:stop: never trash a target untill the post is done... LOL... i was out just under 90 buck's for this test :cry: I'm going to stick with the winchester superme shot for $10 bucks at wally world... my shotgun like it so much... Ron

Daryl (deceased)

:D

I could comment, Ron, but my wife reads here sometimes.  I plead the 5th!

Daryl

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

At least you remember what shot what Ron, and you weren't relying on the targets or pictures.

Hope everyone is still getting their breakfasts.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Tags: