New Bullets for the 50 Alaskan

Started by gitano, April 03, 2007, 08:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Well, I took the Aussie's advice and got some 450-grain Woodleighs, and I talked to the guy HB pointed me to and got some 500-grain Northwest Custom Projectile custom bullets. I'm pretty pleased with both.... so far.

Due to the results I got two weeks ago at the range, I decided to up the pressure on my loads to between 25,000 and 30,000 PSI. With that change, Quickload predicts:
A muzzle velocity of 1996 f/s.
A chamber pressure of 29,632 PSI at a Optimal Barrel Timing theoretical node.
With those numbers, and considering a 6" target, this bullet is:
Dead on at 158 yds,
3" low at 186,
28" low at 300 and carying 1717 ft-lbs.
It's got 3981 ft-lbs at the muzzle. That's a bit stiff, but I'll try it and see how they shoot.

Quickload's predictions for the 500-grainer are:
A muzzle velocity of 1835 f/s.
A chamber pressure of 27,887 PSI at a Optimal Barrel Timing theoretical node.
With those numbers, and considering a 6" target, this bullet isL
Dead on at 150 yds,
3" low at 177 yds,
33" low at 300 and carrying 1811 ft-lbs.
It's got 3735 ft-lbs at the muzzle. That's fine.

The next node up on the 500-grainer generates a MV of 1962 f/s; at a chamber pressure of 33,854 PSI, and a ME of 4273 ft-lbs. While the rifle can handle the pressure, I don't want to practice with a rifle that generates more than 4000 ft-lbs of ME. It's just not fun.

I hope to get to the range tomorrow. I'll post what happens if I do.

Paul

The 450 Woodleigh is on the left, the 500 RwCP on the right. Fine lookin' cartridges.
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Wow, top work there, Paul! :)
Just under 2000fps with a 450gn......that's polar bear territory, mate. ;)
Mind you, up it to 40,000psi and you'd be in elephant territory. :D
The action is still about 5000psi under maximum safe loads too.
Can't imagine why you don't like more than 4000 ftlbs of ME? :lol:
Incidentally, were the Woodleighs very pricey and how much were the NWCP pills?
Are they bonded core too?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Hunterbug

Always glad to be of assistance. I can't wait to hear how they shoot. I'm home tomorow if you want to call. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Ausmarksman

Woodleigh's won't let you down!  

I've shot tonnes (literally) of buffalo with woodleigh solids and so far not a single one has ever let me down.

Good choice!         :biggthumpup:

gitano

Actually Kombi, the Woodleighs turned out to be cheaper than the Barnes 450s, and definitely easier to get my hands on. The Woodlieghs are $21.95 for 25 bullets ($0.89/bullet). That beats the Barnes 450s that cost $21.99 for 20 ($1.10/bullet). Barnes changed hands some years back, and they are catering to a different crowd now. Consequently, they're phasing out their old reliables in favor of the TSX. After talking with Barnes, I doubt seriously that they will be offering any bullet design other than TSXs and big-caliber solids in 3 years or so.

The NwCP 500s are about US$45.00 for 50. I was very impressed with the NwCP bullets for consistency in both weight and diameter. If the two bullets are similar in performance, I'll probably end up using NwCP. They are a small, custom bullet-making company, and 1) I prefer to support small, "mom-and-pop" businesses, and 2) they will make any weight my little heart desires. Also, they're going to make a rebated boat-tail for me in .510. That should up the BC considerably, which means that the 300-yd drop should get under 24". It will also mean that the delivered energy at 300 yds will likely be above 2500 ft-lbs without increasing muzzle enrgy above 3750 ft-lbs.

I seriously doubt that I will ever shoot at a game animal at over 250 yds with the 50 Alaskan, although it is a remote possibility, should I ever get drawn for bison. The 300 yds stats are simply a ruler with which I make comparisons between bullets and loads.

I'm so impressed with NwCPs consistency, that I may consider having them make bullets for the .338 MAI. In 55 bullets, (Bob sent an extra 5 bullets along - something the "big guys don't/can't do), I could not measure differences in diameter greater than about 0.0003"! In weight, the max spread was 0.07 grains! All of this in a .510" diameter and 500 grain bullet! That's pretty tough to beat.

Paul

PS - Oh yeah, I forgot about "bonded core". Truth is, I don't know the answer, but I suspect they are not. Matters not to me one way or the other.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Paul, is that a crimp on the r/h cartridge? What brand of dies are you using to get a crimp like that on a non-cannalured bullet? Being a single shot I would think you could get away without much of a crimp anyway.

Just wondering...............................

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Actually RJ, both ar crimped with Lee's Factory Crimp die. I wouldn't have put a crimp on these cartridges, but as I was loading them I noticed that some were looser in the neck than others. Turns out that the blown out .348 brass is fairly variable in wall thickness at the mouth. Since I'm in test mode and working up loads, I wanted everything as consistent between groups as I could get it.

Also, I'm seating the Woodleighs to just below the cannelure, so the crimp is actually in the body of the bullet on the 450 just as it is in the un-cannelured 500.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

I'm pleased to hear that about the Woodleighs.
I can also understand why you'd go for the NWCPs.
Incidentally, Woodleigh began as, and still are to some extent, a small backyard business.
The difference of course is that they always aimed to duplicate the sort of bullets used in the Kynoch big game cartridges to cater to the double rifle and safari hunting crowd rather than letting customers determine their product list.
But I look forward to seeing some results from both types. :)
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

M1Garand

Paul those are some dandy looking rounds, I look forward to seeing how they shoot. You're also making me want to take some of my 348 brass and look into a 50 Alaskan:biggthumpup:

Tags: