A new case wins its way into my 'heart'

Started by gitano, March 30, 2007, 05:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

For more years than I can remember, I have considered the .308 Winchester case to be one of the all-time great cases. One that has spawned some great commerial cartridges as well as some great wildcats. I have no intentions of initiating or participating in a discussion about "great cases" here.... it'd just be the same ol' stuff. Instead, I want to introduce a "new" case that has taken its place right next to the .308 Win as simply an outstanding platform from which to launch a whole familiy of cartridges. At least in my opinion.

That case is the .376 Steyr.

I encourage anyone interested in cartridge design and wildcats to get your hands on a .376 Steyr case. In my opinion, it meets so all of the criteria that describe an ideal generalized platform for cartridge design. It need not displace, and it doesn't, the .308 Win, as the .308 case is a "short action" case, and the .376 Steyr is a "long action" case.

It's not my intention to sell anyone on the .376, Steyr case, rather I'm simply interested in getting folks to actually handle one. If it 'pleases you' so be it. If it doesn't, so be it. As for me, I simply can't keep my hands or eyes off it.

If you do get your hands on one, consider the possibilities from .264 to .375. I've been "working" the numbers, and its ability to deliver, in a reasonable case size, is nothing short of outstanding. To me, it is the equivalent of the .308 Win for the long action.

Get one, and ponder the possibilities.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Ausmarksman

What are the outstanding merits of said cartridge?

What benefits does this new fangled cartridge hold over the veterans of the cartridge world?

Have you been reading alot of Cooper's Corner?  

:biggthumpup:

klallen

Had a passing interest in the .376 when it first came out.  I liked the .284 Win'ish base diameter in a longer case and the wonderful potential for improvement the taper and shoulder lent itself to, but for one reason or another, interest faded.  It would be a nice one to work with.

I'm kinda getting the warm and fuzzy feeling for the potential behind the new .375 Ruger case, now.  Like to neck it down to .277 and replace my .270 Win. with it.  In time, maybe.  Later.  >>  klallen

gitano

HB; I'm workin' on it.

Ausmarksman; I don't know "Cooper's Corner". As for the case's technical merits, I would leave that to the 'eye of the beholder' for the most part. Having been asked, here are some primary issues for me:

1) A well-proportioned case, meaning it will fit length-wise in any "regular" (as opposed to magnum) action.
2) Increased diameter for length, meaning that it has increased capacity without increasing length.
3) Fairly straight-walled, meaning it seals the chamber with less pressure and causes less "bolt thrust" than a case with similar volume but greatert taper.
4) It's "short and fat", taking advantage of the burning characterisitics that "short and fat" bestows, without looking out of proportion.
5) It could (and I think certainly will), make very effective hunting cartidges from .25 to .46 caliber without being ridiculously "over-bore" or under powered.

All without a 'belt'.

It does have one non-trivial draw-back - it's head diameter is "non-standard" at 0.500". I expect the old standards of .473" and .535" to be admitting a "new" member before too long. I also predict that it is going to spawn a whole new flurry of wildcats, a larger proportion of which will become commercial cartridges than we have seen since the .308 Win.

My intent with this thread is not to extoll the virtues of the case... that just invites argument, especially "on the net". The only reason I made the above list was because I was specifically asked. My "intent" was to pique interest, and get someone to actually handle a case instead of "paper-whipping" it with non-hands-on comparisons to their favorite case.

Get one in your hands, and I'll be happy to discuss it. I'll even send you one if you want. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Ausmarksman

hmmmmm.........sounds like a beauty........

It seems as though the late great Jeff Cooper is in agreement with you there. Just thought readin' "Cooper's Corner" on the backpage of Guns & Ammo may have swayed you somewhat.

Do you know what sort of accuracy the .375 steyr produces?

What is the .375 steyr good for? Deer? Camel? Buffalo?

I've heard of someone taking a Hippo with a .375 steyr, I think his name was john gannaway.....

gitano

I don't have any experience with, nor do I know anyone with a .376 Steyr-chambered firearm. My interest is in the case.  I'll likely be making a .376 Steyr on something - Mauser or K-31 - as soon as I can get all the pieces together. It might be a .358 Steyr instead, or it might even be a .323/8mm Steyr. I might even get tempted to try something like a .257 bullet in one, and no one would have to work very hard to get me to build a "6.5mm Steyr". I happpen to think that any caliber from .257 to .460 put on this case, will let no one down.

As for the .376 Steyr cartridge on game, seems to me that any critter for which the .375 H&H is appropriate would be 'fair game' for the .376 Steyr. Personally, I don't "believe" in any such thing as too big a caliber,so deer would definitely be considered by me for the .376 Steyr. I do on the other hand, believe one can have too big a cartridge. One of the "things" about the case that so impresses me is that regardless of the caliber from .257 to .460, I can see a very reasonable and viable hunting cartridge.

As for actions, I am considering the Swiss K-31 because:
1) The head fits the bolt face of the K-31 without modification, (I've already tried it), and
2) The case fits in the K-31 clip and feeds without modification into the K-31 action.
Those are BIG plusses (as far as I'm concerned), when considering a wildcat on a milsurp.

As for the Mauser - basic Model 98 - the bolt face would have to be opened up, but not as much as to a "magnum" .535" rim. The rails and feed ramp would have to be modified for trouble-free feeding, but again, not much. The only reason I would consider the Mauser is because I much prefer it's looks over the K-31. I can't envision any conglomeration of modifications that would remove the fundamental "military" look from the K-31.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Ausmarksman

Quote from: gitano;60151I don't have any experience with, nor do I know anyone with a .376 Steyr-chambered firearm. My interest is in the case.  I'll likely be making a .376 Steyr on something - Mauser or K-31 - as soon as I can get all the pieces together. It might be a .358 Steyr instead, or it might even be a .323/8mm Steyr. I might even get tempted to try something like a .257 bullet in one, and no one would have to work very hard to get me to build a "6.5mm Steyr". I happpen to think that any caliber from .257 to .460 put on this case, will let no one down.

As for the .376 Steyr cartridge on game, seems to me that any critter for which the .375 H&H is appropriate would be 'fair game' for the .376 Steyr. Personally, I don't "believe" in any such thing as too big a caliber,so deer would definitely be considered by me for the .376 Steyr. I do on the other hand, believe one can have too big a cartridge. One of the "things" about the case that so impresses me is that regardless of the caliber from .257 to .460, I can see a very reasonable and viable hunting cartridge.

As for actions, I am considering the Swiss K-31 because:
1) The head fits the bolt face of the K-31 without modification, (I've already tried it), and
2) The case fits in the K-31 clip and feeds without modification into the K-31 action.
Those are BIG plusses (as far as I'm concerned), when considering a wildcat on a milsurp.

As for the Mauser - basic Model 98 - the bolt face would have to be opened up, but not as much as to a "magnum" .535" rim. The rails and feed ramp would have to be modified for trouble-free feeding, but again, not much. The only reason I would consider the Mauser is because I much prefer it's looks over the K-31. I can't envision any conglomeration of modifications that would remove the fundamental "military" look from the K-31.

Paul

Certainly sounds interesting mate, make sure you swing us some photos when you've finished it. Good luck with it!

Alboy

Paul

How about you put up a picture of this .376 Steyr case on a side by side with a .308 win case or any other case that is common. Just for a comparison look for those of us not familiar.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

OK Al, See below as "they" say. For those wondering, the .358 Win is the .308 necked up to .358. Seemed a more reasonable comparison. The length and other dimensions are the same as the .308 Win.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Here are the "official" dimensions and a picture of a loaded cartridge.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Finally Al, the .375 Whelen has a case capacity (to top of mouth) of 74.39 grains of water, while the .376 Steyr has a case capacity of 80.00 grains. The Steyr case at 60mm is about 3.4mm (.134") shorter than the Whelen ('06) case (63.4mm).

Paul

PS - If Ol' John is watchin', how about this Steyr case with 6.5mm bullet on it? :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Gee Paul, since you have the cases you simply have to build a rifle for them. It would be wastefull not to do so. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Actually, HB, not only do I have cases, but thanks to the 'help' of subsonic, I'm soon to have dies too. It's a forgone conclusion that soon I will have a rifle. It's only natural. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: