Dead kitty...

Started by Gmoney, March 24, 2007, 08:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

Folks,

John and I have had a dry run of late calling together, a combination of bad luck and bad spots I think....
Tonight we changed that as we got this female at about 40 feet....
I was calling with the Psycho Tweety and manning the light. We had a fox, I think it was a red, coming hard but I think he saw the truck and swerved into the thick stuff. He then proceeded to scream at us for a few minutes....
I was trying to coax him back in when I caught a face looking at me about 40 feet away in some thick stuff. AllI saw was a whitish face and some ears...
First thought it was a rabbit as she was in thick brush and then thought it was a plain ole house cat....
John was convinced she was a rabbit but he didn't have a view of the ears that I did...
We were having a conversation literally trying to decide if we wanted to take this "feral cat" and ruin the chances at the fox returning...
Feral cats are serious pests around these parts, we were going to do the quail population a favor...
At 40 feet a full choke with #1 Buck put her down and when we walked over to her we saw this lying dead...
An absolutely beautiful kitty..
The pics don't do her justice as she had serious spots all over her all the way down to her paws...
Here is the grinning hunter while the lowly caller and lightman is behind the camera....
By the way I won't say how many times the grinning hunter shot at coons tonight without ever putting one in the truck...
John got his first coyote this year and now his first cat. AllI need to do is get him a fox now but they seem to be hard to come by over here in the deep woods...

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Gmoney

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Gmoney

-Greg

Daryl (deceased)

A very pretty goto, Greg.  Congrat's!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Paul Hoskins

Greg, that one pretty cat. I love beautifully spotted cats like that. I have noted that the cats in Maine are usually large but they have a yellowish color to them with very little spot definition. These cats in Ky. are really beautiful too with their black markings and spots. Congratulations on a job well done......Paul H

RatherBHuntin

Yep, it's good to see you back at "work" Greg.  Did ya'll keep the hide?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

nrthrn_maine_hunter

congrats guys, would love to call in a cat!
keep up the good work.
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Gmoney

Thanks fellas...
We're pretty much wrapping up this years hunting but that said this cat's fur was still good....
She should bring a hundred or so I reckon....
We all need to do a group hunt get together thing one day...
Don't know how but it'd be fun....

-Greg
-Greg

buckshot roberts

:hat: We have a few come around here, as i'm a cat love'er, I've never taken a shot at one, what did she come in at, looks like ya got a nice hide, We can hunt the wildcat here but we must turn the body in to fish & wildlife.... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Antler3

Wow now that is a pretty kitty ! Good job ! The ones I have taken around our parts are more grey colored. They have some spots , but Not like the one here. Are you gonna mount it or tan it ? Very pretty hide. Thanks for sharing.  OOps  !!  I just saw the post where you said it would bring a hundred. Well then,   do you skin it yourself ?  And if so,  do you skin the feet out too ?
ANTLER 3

Gmoney

Thanks Antler...

We gave this one to the landowner....

Will mount one soon someday as I seem to be collecting guns instead of mounted animals....grin....

I either skin them out or freeze them....

Greg
-Greg

bowhunter 51

Took this male with my 45 cal. CVA with a 175 gr. R.E.A.L.
Broad daylight, calling up some crows for target practice and
spotted this varmint sneekin' up on me..Chip shot, 20 yrds..
Didn't know what hit'em..I wish I had the small game it took to
build this critter....................................................................BH51
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Daryl (deceased)

BH51,

Looks like a nice cat.  It's too bad that the hide's not really any good.  Would have been a good pelt if prime.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Mauserfan in TX

Congrats, It appears that cat still had a prime pelt. A very fine specimen indeed for this time of the year. Do you think all the rain we have had this summer had anything to do with it?
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

bowhunter 51

Well, I'm not much on gradeing pelts on critters but I have seen better....
We don't seem to see real pretty pelts out this away...Ain't seen as much rain
here as you guys have been seeing lately...Been unseasonally warm and dry
for several years, as I can remember....Don't know if'n rain would've had any
effect on pelt quality or not. I would imagine cold weather would play a
bigger role developing quality fur and geological location a factor as well..BH51
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: