a cold day on the river

Started by Hunterbug, March 06, 2007, 09:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Sunday my friend Bruce and I got out for our first fishing trip of the year. Normally we get out earlier in the year but between the weather this year and my desire to hunt rabbits it didn't happen. Bruce got to my house at 0700 and we got everything loaded and on the road by 0730. That's the nice thing about winter fishing, nothing really happens early so you don't have to leave real early. ;) It took us about 3 hours to drive the 130 miles with a stop at the grocery store for snacks. So we got up there and started rigging up. The sun was out but it was still cold, maby 20 or so but the river we were fishing, the South Platt, is a tail water there that comes out of the bottom of a dam so it never freezes. Bruce went up stream and I went down. I didn't go to far before I found a nice spot and began to fish. I soon hooked and landed a nice rainbow. There were some midges coming off and several fish rising steadily so I went to find Bruce. He came down to where I was and we began fishing. Bruce is left handed and I'm right handed so we fish well together working opposite sides of the river. I put on a #20 Parachute Adams and cought this fish.

That was the only fish I got on top so I put on a #20 midge emerger and started fishing it in the surface film and cought this fish. After I landed it I saw that it was blind in the right eye.

Thoes were the only fish I got up top so I put on a pair of under water flies and cought a couple more. Here's a picture of Bruce with one of his fish.

Through out the day we fought ice in the guides of our rods and everytime we landed a fish our net would freeze. There was maby an hour where it got above freezing. But we had a good time and it's always nice to get out. I work this coming weekend but hopefully we'll get out the next weekend.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: "Bug" that one fine  post, don't get to do much fly fish'n here, now ya got me :)  want'n to go fishing, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

'Bug, I bet you would make a good duck hunter standing around in freezing water like that.  Good catch, especially considering the conditions.  You are a dedicated fisherman.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: Hunterbug;58702Bruce is left handed and I'm right handed so we fish well together working opposite sides of the river. I put on a #20 Parachute Adams and caught this fish.

HUH?  That would put you casting directly across from each other.

But that's a nice fish 'bug'.  I love pictures like that where the images are really clear.  I'm impressed with your dedication.
[/SIZE]

Hunterbug

Thanx guys. When I get a scanner I'll show you some pictures of my younger days when I was more ambitious, or foolish depending on how you look at it. ;)

Jay, we like to fish up stream so I take the left half of the river and he takes the right.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

davidlt89

I am gonna agree with Glenn and say "you are a dedicated fisherman."  I have fished some cold days but nothing like that. Good Job and God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

MountainMafia

HB great photos for me to enjoy in the warm-snug inside. Truthfully I would rather be out with the fish and wildlife. Your photos make one fantasize about the bigs ones waiting for the rest of us. Keep 'em coming. Thanks.
...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

Tags: