last rabbit hunt of the season

Started by Hunterbug, February 25, 2007, 07:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

This is the last weekend of rabbit season so I went out with a guy from work. Carlos is a new hunter, this was his first hunt as a hunter and not just a companion. We went out east along the South Platt River looking for cotton tails. I was using my 12ga and Carlos was using my single shot 20ga. The weather was great and we worked up a pretty good sweat beating the brush.  We only saw one rabbit which Carlos didn't get a shot at and I personally didn't even see. But we found a dead weasle which you don't see every day. We also found a bunch of feathers where a coyote got a turkey and a dead coyote where something else got him. I have no way of knowing this for sure but I suspect that a waterfowl hunter on his way to or from the river got the coyote with a load or goose shot. There was lots of coyote scat in the area and I might have to make a trip back out there with the shotgun and some #4 buck. There was also lots of deer sign but we never saw any. Near the end of the day I kicked up a quail but they are out of season so we just watched it fly away, it would have been an easy shot too.:Banghead: I was most disapointed for Carlos that he didn't even get to shoot at a bunny but he had fun and we'll get out earlier next season.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

RatherBHuntin

Sounds like an interesting trip none the less.  I hope your new hunter maintains his interest till season opens again.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup:Some here, it's not about how many ya get, but the enjoyment ya get out of hunting, be looking for more post from ya this season,I'll be right back out there this  fall...... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

babbyc1000

hmmmm well sounds like its time for me to wind everyone up again, get my own back a bit.... :biggthumpup:

now not to rub it in (as if i would do that...:angel:), but we dont have a season for rabbits over here, theyre counted as pests and so can be shot all year round, day or night!

anyhow i couldve had 6 or 7 today if id really wanted, id been sighting in the .22 with high velocitys and a smaller scope, not too bad but at 100 yards best grouping i could get was 6", not bad i suppose for a .22 but then again i need it for long shots. i had 3 rabbits ran across my path, from ranges of 15 to 30 yards, easy shots as i was in the open field; i saw another 2 sitting beside a hedge on the far side of the field, about 80 yards or so; then when i came back to the house there was 2 sitting in the field in front of it, no more than 40 yards from the front door!!!

but i didnt bother taking any shots, i reckon theyve had enough of a pounding the last couple of months between me and the cats, so ill leave them be for another 5 or 6 weeks to let them get breeding, hopefully give the population a bit of a boost for the summer months. no point clearing them all out and having nothing to go in the oven!:food04:
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Tags: