Hunting with rifles of the 1800s

Started by mtsharps, October 05, 2004, 12:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtsharps

How many hunt with the rifles of the 1800s or replicas of them .

makes
  models

www.rooseveltbrowninghunt.com

Daryl (deceased)

Does a Lyman trade rifle count?  It's a poor replica, but I enjoy hunting with/shooting it.

Other than that, I have a modern made Winchester 1892 Trapper, but I doubt that's what you're talking about, either!

Would be fun to hunt with a Sharps though.  Maybe someday!

Az
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Jay Edward (deceased)

I hunt with muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge firearms.

rockinbbar

AZ,

Absolutely it DOES count....The Lyman & the Winchester 92!

I used to hunt with my Cimarron Yellowboy in 44-40 quite a bit....

I'd love to have one of those new Winchester 95 rifles in .405 they are making now! But a grand is out of the question for right now.

I recently aquired 2 Savage 99's....Both in 308 caliber. (I thought my .223 was a tad light for elk..LOL)  
I'll use one for a saddle/pickup gun, while using the other for my less adventurous hunts while walking. I'd hate to mess it up, as it is pristine condition....In fact, it has never been fired yet! I hope to take care of that this week-end.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Rockin',

My '92 Winchester is in .45 Colt, to go along with a Ruger Vaquero in the same caliber.  They make a nice set for bumbling through the hills, either on foot or on a horse or mule.  The '92 measures 33 1/2 inches full length, so it's 2 1/2 inches shorter than a yard stick!  I stick in in a scoped rifle scabbord and nothing sticks out to get scratched up by the mesquites.  It's a new rifle and I don't want to beat it up, but I use my rifles so it's nice to be able to protect it.  I'm shooting a 255 grain lead SWC close to 1800 fps out of it, so it's a fairly potent gun in a small package.

BTW-Should I bring a saddle with me for that February hunt?

Those Savage 99's are pretty nice rifles.  Sounds like you have the right idea by getting two of them; one for hard use and one for light duty and to keep in nice condition!  I oft-times wonder why they stopped making them.

Take care mi amigo.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Az,

Yep, that's a potent load for a 45LC....It will do a good job on deer too. The last deer I shot with my yellowboy 44-40 was shot with 200 gr lead rn bullet that was in front of 7.3 grains of Unique. A pretty light load for that I used for cowboy action shooting. I couldn't get the spike to turn broadside so I shot him under the neck, between the brisket as he was facing me....
That 200 gr bullet went completely through him, & exited through the existing hole in his rear!...

I'd bring that saddle gun when you come....the lions will be hungry & on the prowl, never know when you need a quick shot ahorseback.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Rockin',

I reckon I'll do that, and stick the saddle in too if you plan on riding in to do some calling.

I'm looking forward to coming out there; it ought to be a good time!

Daryl

RIP Linden33

drinksgin (deceased)

AZ;
I use a '92, .44-40, 1910 mfg., a '94, .32sp, 1900 mfg, a '99, 303 Savage, 1920 mfg, a reproduction Hopkins & Allen under hammer .36, 1960 mfg, and a .50 side hammer and a .45 inline recent mfg..
The '92 and the '99 are my favorites, both lightweight, straight stock carbines, that respond well to cast handloads.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Hunterbug

I have a Winchester 94 made in 1926 that actually belongs to my father-in-law but it resides at my house and I'm sure that it will for the rest of my days. I haven't hunted with it yet but if I can get it shooting well enough I may bring it along in Feb with some 125gr FP and try to bag a coyote with it.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well I have  a couple, a Rigby Mannlicher .256" (6.5x53R) made in 1893 a .303 Martini sinlge shot sporting carbine and a DWM Mauser M93 made in about 1896 in 7x57. A little different form the others mentioned in the answers to ths post.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Wilhelm Collath drilling in 10.75x16x16 made sometime between 1890 and 1910. Killed a wild sow wiht it recently.

1878 Martini-Enfield. It is not chambered in a 19th century cartridge nor is it in original configuration. Probably will be before too long though. Have yet to kill anything with it.

A couple of 1899 Carl Gustaf M96 mausers - Haven't hunted with them yet.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Thought this was a good thread to rejuvenate. On topic:

The 1878 ME mentioned above has been rebored to .510 and chambered in .51x.348 Win (AKA 50 Alaskan) has taken a bull moose.

I now have several pre-1900 firearms including replicas. I have to descend to the sanctum sanctorum to make a list.

Kombi1976 - is your little Martini pre-1900?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

"94 and '92's have been the standbys since the first of the last century, My favorites for just about everything is the H&R, NEF handi rifle, the design of which goes back to about 1860.
I am sure millions use a  '91, '93, 94 or '98 Mauser, I now have a RB, design goes back to 1860's,other than some of the UBG's, I think most everything we use is a 1800's design, if not actually made then.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

1898 Drilling G.F. Stormer Drilling used to take another bull moose.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: