problem with stoppages on 10/22

Started by babbyc1000, February 13, 2007, 06:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babbyc1000

hi guys. i finally got the ruger 10/22! got back from the gun shop this morning at 9.30 with it, cleaned it, fired a couple of mags worth of test shots, then spent an hour fitting the auto bolt release and new stock to the rifle, before blasting off 500 rounds by dinner time! well its raining heavily now so thats stopped play for a while (the farmer sprayed the fields with pig slurry about a week ago...) so thats why ive had a chance to get online. :(

im having a bit of a problem with stoppages with the rifle. i dont think i got through a full 10 round mag yet without a casing not being extracted properly and jamming the bolt. im just wondering if anyone else ever came acrooss this problem?? i stripped the rifle down and gave it a good clean this morning so i cant see it being due to dirt, and ive got 5 mags so they cant all be duds. also the first 20 rounds were high vel. hp's and the rest have been subsonic hp's (2 varietys), so i dont think its a batch of dud ammo either. :Banghead:

can anyone help me with what the problem might be? thanks
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Daryl (deceased)

Babby,

Sub-sonic .22 LR ammo will oft-times jam in a semi-auto. Mine would not extract them at all for the first 20 years that I owned it. I guess the springs finally got a bit weaker though, because it now feeds about anything I put in it.

As far as the other, it could very well be the ammo. Try some various types and see how they do. The above mentioned rifle used to jam a lot of different ammunition; even the high velocity stuff at first.

I'm not sure what you can get over there for ammo, but try the CCI mini-mag stuff if you can find it. It's good ammo, and it's all I shot from my Marlin for years.

If you can't find that, then try some other types of ammo and see if you can find something that your rifle likes.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

To add to what Dary already said you mentioned a 10 shot clip.....
Is this the standard metal one that comes with the 10/22 or a plastic one....
Every plastic mag I've shot in a 10/22 with any ammo has jammed at times due to, I'm guessing, the plastic magazine....

Never had a jam with the factory 10 rounder but then again I've never shot it sub-sonic either....

GW
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Paul Hoskins

My old 10/22 has thousands of rounds run through it and the only time it jammed was when an acquaintance shot it like it was a machine gun. He got a jam trying to act like Rambo. Just his mentality too. I use nothing but factory magazines.........Paul H

babbyc1000

two of the mags are the plastic double eagle types, 3 are the standard ones that come with the 10/22. i put another 50 rounds through it just before it got dark (the rain eased off) and got several stoppages again. paul, i was doing rapid fire shooting and taking single well placed shots, i got the same amount of jams from each style. i only tried 3 makes of ammo, though ive got another 3 or 4 to try as well (got a brick of american eagle high vel. too) so ill see what happens over the next few days.

one thing i was wondering though, if you leave your finger on the trigger too long after firing a shot will that cause a jam?

Paul Hoskins

Leaving your finger on the trigger after firing has nothing whatsoever to do with your problem. The only way I could sort out your problem is by checking it personally. .............Paul H

sakorick

Hello Babby. I have had one for about 8 years and have fired the Aguila hyper velocity shells thru mine. I use ruger 10 round clips only. Had one jam, but I can't remember when it was. :eek: :smiley: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

babbyc1000

thanks paul, i remember a guy talking about a 10/22 that was well fitted out with new trigger, barrel, etc. he had said something like that but i could be remembering wrong. ah well ive to take it to the gun shop soon anyway (not the one i bought it from), the guy promised to look over it for me and see if anything needed done so hopefully he'll pick up on it.

now rick thats a nice rifle, when (if i ever) get the camera sorted out ill take a pic of mine and post it. yours looks like something to hang over the fireplace, with the bullpup stock on mine it looks like something youd see in iraq! but having said that im starting to like this rifle even more than i did before i got it, if only i could sort out the jams id be a happy bunny!

babbyc1000

hey guys think ive maybe sorted out the stoppage problem.

i stripped the gun down earlier this evening and found that the spring that gives tension to the bolt lock had come loose, the lock was flapping round like a headless chicken, so that could explain what was wrong.

ive gone back to basics til i get her going 100%, took the bullpup stock off and put the wooden one back on (its easier undoing 2 screws to strip her down than 1 screw and 7 hex key bolts...) and im going to head out tomorrow when it gets light to run a few mags through to see what happens. i dont know about the standard mags but i also found that the double eagle mags are a bit loose and you have to push them towards the muzzle once theyve clipped in to get a tight grip, so that could explain another problem.

anyhow thanks for the advice, ill let you know how i get on

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

babbyc1000

hi guys, i just put 50 rounds through the rifle without a problem, that spring must have been the cause!

thanks for the help

Tags: