help with new shotgun shells

Started by babbyc1000, February 10, 2007, 02:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babbyc1000

hi all, just wanted to ask if anyone has ever used 12 bore shells loaded with BB's much? :hat:

i went to the gunshop today, got a brick of .22's and asked the guy for 2 boxes of shells that would take down a dog that was attacking sheep, especially a big dog like a rottweiler (i have two of them, im not trying to show them off or anything but theyre one of the toughest breeds ive come across, so i figured if it could take one of them down i shouldnt have any problems with other breeds).

well the guy gave me 2 boxes of lyalvale express max game, theyre 70mm and the shot weight is 36 grams. the thing is im used to using shells for hunting rabbits and birds, etc. ive always used the number system with shells, so hence i have an idea of the spread, penetration, etc, just by looking at the number. the lowest ive used so far is a no 4. theres no number on these shells though, just says BB on them.:confused:

the big problem is i cant test them out at the minute, i left the s/s into the shop to get re-blued and ive only got the AYA single now. im not sure if it would be up to this type of shell so i dont want to use them in it, however i wont have the rifle for another few days at least so if anything happens in the meantime ill have no choice but to use the AYA (i feel naked having only one gun!!).:shy:

so can anyone out there can help, and give me an idea of what way these shells might act, penetration, etc? thanks!
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Gmoney

You talking about 12 gauge shotgun shells and "BB" loads?

If you are BB will work well for your attacking dogs....BB loads are filled with 18 caliber (.18") pellets and are what I use for coyotes and other varmints....

If you do a google search and type in "shotgun pellet size chart" you should have all pellet sizes and descriptions at your disposal....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

babbyc1000

nice one mate got it now thanks! yep thats exactly what they are, sorry didnt explain that too well.

what sort of raneg are they effective to roughly?

Daryl (deceased)

Babby,

They'll work on dogs just fine.

You'll need to get fairly close though, like 30 yards or so.

Be careful to not hit the sheep!

;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

babbyc1000

thanks daryl, id been thinking they might have had a longer range due to the extra weight but ill keep that in mind. now if i miss at 30 yards and hit a sheep ill be locking the guns in the cabinet and concentrating on fishing. I PROMISE! :greentongue:

seriousley though, im only joking and dont want to sound too cocky, ill only be using these when (if) i have a clear shot at the dog and definitely not if its among the sheep. though that would be an interesting conversation when i got home...

"Did you get anything today dear?"
"Sure did!"
"What did you get?? a couple of rabbits, a pheasant???"
"NOPE, I GOT ME A MONTHS SUPPLY OF MUTTON!!" :biggthumpup:

Tags: