bought a new scope!

Started by babbyc1000, February 03, 2007, 08:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babbyc1000

hi all, just got my new scope yesterday! i bought it from ebay for about £50 ill put a link up to shows you what its like.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zos-6-24x56AOE-Illuminated-30-Tube-Hunting-Rifle-Scope_W0QQitemZ330083859086QQihZ014QQcategoryZ31714QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

its a decent scope but WAAYYYY too poweful for a .22lr. its like something youd see on a .50 or something!

just wanted to see what everyone thought of it. i only got it cos i wanted one with an illuminated reticule and a slightly higher magnification (one i already had was 3 - 9), id put bids on 5 or 6 different ones and this is the one i won. its a big hefty beast, no doubt about it, but it will be good for target shooting, especially when i try to push the 10/22 up to 200 yards!!!

id be greatful if you took a look and see what you thought :biggthumpup:
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

gitano

There was a time when my attitude was "You can't have too much 'scope." So... I went and got a 6x18, mounted it on my 7x300, and cranked it up to 18x. Sitting at the bench, fully rested, I could see my heartbeat move the point of aim in the sight-picture. I don't like that. Of course, simply because I can't see my heartbeat's influence on POA with a lower-powered 'scope doesn't mean it isn't still there. Nonetheless, it is/was a distraction. Since then, I've stuck to 12x and below.

I'm interested to hear what you think of it when 'cranked up'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

babbyc1000

ill let u know paul, im still waiting on the rifle coming, tho today i fitted the scope to the new stock i bought and it was quite amazing - i was panning it around the countryside and saw some sheep - when i took the scope away i could hardly see them, they were about 1 mile away!

i know what you mean about heart beat, im not going to use this for hunting (not the 24 mag anyway) as the slightest movement was shaking the picture all over the place, though i reckon if i use my shooting rest it will allow me to hit targets at 200 yards easily enough, ill keep you posted...

recoil junky

babby, I have 2 soon to be 3, 6x24 power scopes on my varmint rifles. Not near as big of objective as that. (44's and a 50mm)That one does look pretty good although I've never heard of a ZOS scope before. It is German though and they tend to overbuild stuff.

Good luck with it.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Mark R

marktx

babbyc1000

im not sure myself, the instructions had oriental writing on them as well as english, not sure who zos are but i saw somewhere theyre changing the name to rex optics, dont know if it rings a bell. just wanted to see what everyone thought really, when i got it i was kinda in two minds whether to keep it or sell it on due to the size and weight, tho i think ill hold on to it now anyway. really need the rifle to test its quality, but from what i saw so far its quite impressive (to me anyway). maybe sometime in the future ill get a larger calibre rifle that it would suit, but hey we'll see what happens!

sakorick

Not to burst anyone's bubble, however nearly every scope made has Chinese parts/ made in China. The three exceptions that I know of is the Burris Black Diamond, the Kahles...made in Austria and the Zeiss Conquest....assembled in the USA with parts from all over the place. Leupold is total Chinese as is nearly all others. Leupy is the biggest loser....since 1990 or so gone straight downhill. They missed the boat on BPlex and lighted reticle technology.....they haven't done anything revolutionary in 20 years, while their prices have risen to egregious proportions.

The Scope that gets my attention is the Bushnell 4200 with the lighted cross hair technology and total weather functionality. I'm going to try one when funds become available. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

babbyc1000

yeah the 4200 looks nice, bit pricey though, im at the stage where im trying to spend as little as possible, i know sometimes you only get what you pay for but the 4200's about 5 times more than what i paid for the zos. plus i find i always break things (no matter how careful i am!!)

the other scope i have is a tasco and im assuming it is from china (i checked and the zos was shipped from there), it was shipped from hong kong anyway. i dont mind where its made as long as it does the job!

Gmoney

Quote from: gitano;56773There was a time when my attitude was "You can't have too much 'scope." So... I went and got a 6x18, mounted it on my 7x300, and cranked it up to 18x. Sitting at the bench, fully rested, I could see my heartbeat move the point of aim in the sight-picture. I don't like that. Of course, simply because I can't see my heartbeat's influence on POA with a lower-powered 'scope doesn't mean it isn't still there. Nonetheless, it is/was a distraction. Since then, I've stuck to 12x and below.

I'm interested to hear what you think of it when 'cranked up'.

Paul

This parallels my exact experiences as well....4-12x or fixed 6x for me probably for the rest of my life.....:undecided:

GW
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Paul Hoskins

I have owned all sorts of scopes over the years and find most anything over 6 or 8 power just about useless for anything but target or long range varmint shooting. Just looked in my junk box and found two high magnification variables in it. One is a BSA 6-24 power the other is a Simmons 8-32 variable. They are more or less useless  for normal hunting. Back in my varminting days, I found the same things Gitano talked about. With the Litschert Super Eagle varmint scope in 15 power on a heavy HI Wall it was easy to count the heatrbeats by looking through the scope. I tried a Litschert 30 power target scope on the HI Wall for a short time but it was almost useless for anything but target work from a bench. I went back to the 15 power Super Eagle and the 30 power hasn't been used in 25 or thirty years. The 15 power Unertl 2 in. target scope was nice but weighed something like 2 1/2 pounds. In my opinion the BSA scopes are junk but they do make good pellet rifle scopes in 2-7 power but maybe I was just lucky there. The 6-24 makes a fairly good spotting scope and is cheap too. I dislike Leupolds immensly. Now I'm reluctant to buy a scope I know nothing about..........Paul H

babbyc1000

well i was like that at the start about not buying a scope unless i could actually try it first, but the prices for them over here are ridiculous - there was a 4 - 12 mag in the gun shop when i first got the old .22, i was considering it but the price tag put me off - almost £100 - thats about $200 us!

the way i see it, if i buy something from ebay and its a heap of junk i can re-sell it there and get my money back! though most things that ive bought for the guns have been fine.

anyway i doubt ill use the zos 6 - 24 too much for hunting, it really will be target shooting, i have a 3 - 9 thats far smaller and does the job, and ill only be hunting up to about 100 yards so shouldnt be any problems with it. ill use the zos when i target shooting and seeing how far i can push the ruger out to.

Tags: