Unusual Winter Storm

Started by M. R. Byrd, December 31, 2006, 09:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. R. Byrd

We had a very unusual storm here in Dodge, that even the old timers(older than me) said they have never seen anything like it. Western Kansas and Eastern Colorado had a variety of snow, freezing rain and rain. Here in Dodge it all started at 10AM on Friday with a clap of thunder, then heavy rain. It rained steady for twenty-four hours with temperatures in the mid thirties and when I got to the ranch to feed cattle on Saturday morning, I had 4.40 inches in the gauge. Later the rain changed to freezing rain and wind and it took down lots of power lines and trees. It put about 44,000 households in the dark, with many still out of power. West of here at Sharon Springs there was 32 inches of snow. Many roads were closed including a three hundred mile stretch from WaKeeney, Kansas to Denver, Colorado.

I certainly welcome the moisture, even though it causes some problems with the cattle and the corrals are really sloppy. We have not had good winter moisture since the winter of '92-'93. The windbreak I planted in 2000 will really benefit from this along with my winter wheat that was headed backwards due to lack of moisture.

The ranch is without power and likely to be out for some time. The longest outage was in 1975 when an ice storm took down lines. At that time it was out for four weeks. I certainly hope that it will not be out that long this time. I drained the water in the house today since there is no heat there. I changed the water well out a few years ago and do not have a generator capable of handling it and all generators in the area have been sold. I will have a few options on water that will buy me a day or two, then will either need to have a generator going or haul water from town.

I will attach a few photos of the storm.

God Bless,
Maynard Reece Byrd
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

rockinbbar

I know you welcome the moisture, Maynard. Anything helps! :D

You got what spawned some snow here as well. Not as much as I'd hoped for, but enough to help.....

Caught this doe just watching from her refuge.

God Bless, & drive careful in that weather!

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Paul Hoskins

Maynard, looks like you have your hands full. We haven't got any snow in northern Ky. this year, YET. My brother near Clovis, N. M. has been helping clear roads but says it isn't too bad there. At least he doesn't have to feed cattle any more. He sold all of them. Thanks for sharing with us. Sure hope things get back to normal for you soon...........Paul H

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Maynard,

I do not envy your situation...it looks just plumb miserable.:frown   Hope it passes soon and damage to buildings & livestock is minimal.  Wild & domestic animals sure do suffer when the freezing rain hits!

Please keep us updated as your time permits.  Take care, neighbor!  My most hopeful thoughts to you and yours!

Ol' John:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Brithunter

Hi All,

Hmmmm I know it's very bad in places as I got this e-mail from a friend who is now back in Colorado :-

QuoteProwers County Colorado, [/SIZE]

First storm was 8 inches of straight down snow.  (rare ! ... no wind)

THEN .... !!!!! ..... ONE WEEK LATER .............if YOU SAY we got
21 inches .......... ok !   Still like to know how anyone knows since
the damn stuff blew around (violently!) for a day or two.

Folks, What you hear on FOX News is only  1/10  of what is
actually happening out here.  

I will attach one or two photos for now ... more if you want them.

However, a few days ago ..... EVERYTHING ...... Springfield could
possibly need, had to be taken in by chopper.  The stores were
emptied by the first 8 inch (straight down) snow .... a week earlier.
This ..... "cow-kill'in son-of-a-bitch" really has things jumping (now)
since NOTHING moved for 5 or 6 days.  There are men and
heavy machinery here from all over two states.

Although the FOX-NEWS TEAM from New York City stayed with us ..
..... they have NOT a clue !!!!!!!    Glad they are GONE !!!!!!

I hear from the Natives today..........

..... the feedlot that I sent you a picture of back in the summer,
.. the first night of the storm, was shooting cows that had froze
to the ground .... A BUNCH !
And there are a LOT of other feedlots close to us.

.......... this morning I was told that one hog farm (there are a lot of them too)
lost 3000 sows and have no idea of how many feeder pigs they lost.  
Roof's caved in on the feeder pigs.

............... Had a TX Veterinarian & Family stay with us (good people) trying to get to one of seven of the feedlots he is responsible for.  The cows shipped from Mexico to Stratford, TX ..... wellllllll....... they were not acclimated to the cold RAIN they had, power was out (ice), no water ..... and 1000 flopped down dead in their pens.   Sam has 200 post-mortums to do there ..
.. more at the other Lots.

Lori and & I "know" ..... that, no doubt, 10 to 14 days from now ..... they may
start finding the "People" that didn't make it. ( Hope not ... but ..... ????? )

[/SIZE]

Now that does not sound too good does it.

Funny thing is that not one little thing has been seen on our new over here nothing not even the slightest mention :o which shows just how bad the BBC has got.

I am just glad that our members here seem to be OK :) .

Go Get them Floyd!

Daryl (deceased)

Brithunter,

Hate to say this, but they might be getting more yet! The storms this year have been going through my area, working their way up through New Mexico, and going into Colorado. When the storms do this, they're refered to as an "Albuquerque low", and they really dump on Colorado for some reason. My wife's from that area, and she says normally they get ONE of these lows per winter.

They've actually had three of these storms now, and a fourth may be on it's way to Colorado. It was snowing here again yesterday, so...?

I hope everyone's ok up there. Should be headed up there myself some time in the next few weeks, and I'm glad I have tire chains!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

nrthrn_maine_hunter

The weather is definately odd, and we are getting the better of the situation, as we have had 40-50 degree weather the past few days with rain.  I know I am only 21, but I have never seen rain in Jan in Northern Maine!  No one else I have talked with has either, very odd, but fine by me, not a winter person at all.
Hopefully those of you who are experiencing the crappy stuff stay safe and all is well with minimal damage.
Drive safe and God Bless!
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Paul Hoskins

NMH, We are having the same weather here in northern Ky. Yesterday morning it was 61 deg. at 6 am and went to 63 before dark. This morning it is 52 deg, and rainy. We haven't had ANY snow YET. We have had bigger frost's than snows. Really weird. My hunting buddy in Mechanic Falls, Me. is staying up in Eustis/Stratton with his mother so he can trap. Haven't heard from him in almost two weeks. Don't know what is going on. ........Paul H

Jay Edward (deceased)

We just got about 4 inches here and I'm on my way out the door to do some plowing.  It shouldn't be too bad but I've got a pretty steep driveway with a curve at the bottom.  That 'curve' causes plenty of grief but I cannot change it.

Week before last I was feeding cattle in Trout Creek (about 20 miles west) 2 or 3 times a week and the snow was deep there... about 12 inches while we were getting rain here.  Trout Creek always catches the snow when we get freezing rain.  My friend is back from Wyoming and is using his Cat to keep the ranch open.

Those cattle (there's only about 50 head) can sure be a pain sometimes.  A tree took out the electric fence facing the main buildings and they've demolished all the block feed for the turkeys, ducks and pheasant.  My friend re-built the electric fence but feed (hay) is getting a little scarce.  The fella who was going to sell him a bunch sold it to some other gent.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of those cattle ended up at the butcher's shop.  (There's a couple I could stand to see come first:mad:)

Anyhoo... sure glad to see the site back up... now out to the plow instead of sitting here making remarks at other's expense.:(

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Paul H,
Yeah, we had snow, but the only thing left are the banks from the plows, none really left on the ground.  Unbelievable!
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Hunterbug

Here's a picture of the storm we had the week before Christmas. There is still snow from that one and we've had 2 since.

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: Jay Edward;55051We just got about 4 inches here and I'm on my way out the door to do some plowing.

I was wrong... it more like 6 inches and my little plow had a tough time plowing on the uphill leg of each pass.  I did get out and I did get to my meeting but... oh man!

Stock up at the grocery store guys... I already have and have selected the book I'll be reading.

buckshot roberts

:D All that snow look's good, we not had any this season, just rain and we could use it all, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

babbyc1000

its stormy here at the moment, very windy and very wet rain (i know that sounds silly but its a drizzly rain that the wind blows everywhere and soaks you in places you didnt think could get wet - hence "wet" rain...)
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Paul Hoskins

Ron, Hush your mouth. We don't need anything but sunshine........Paul H

Tags: