WIP on the BSA Single X11 stock

Started by Brithunter, November 28, 2006, 11:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi All,

This is the BSA Single X11 Shotgun I aquired a couple of weeks ago, well the stock of it ;) , although it appears to be unfired and in almost new condition the gun was made in 1959 and the stock would benefit from a little applied oil.

In it's years of storage somewhere it has picked up a few small compression marks which I decided to leave and just apply or rather refresh the finish. Or rather that was the original plan :o after applying a few coats of BLO it showed up the unfilled grain so................................................

A more intensive re-finish was decided upon and after a slight rub over with 800 grit Wet & Dry a stock finish kit was brought and I am now working with the grain sealer to fill the open pores.

As you can see the stock has some nice figuring especially for a BSA which are normally quite plain. I wonder if this might have been a sales-mans sample?

The "Single X11" was made as a budget shotgun mainly for export whihc is why the wood was not finished to as high a standard which I am working towards. Not quite original that's for certain but as the collectors value is low seeing as how not many are mad enough to want to collect BSA's :confused: I do not see it as a problem ;) .

Hmmm sorry about the size but for some reason it will not let me reduce the size :o
Go Get them Floyd!

babbyc1000

ok, here goes...

THAT IS SOME VERY NICE WOOD

there i said it!!!!!

only joking, that really looks good, post a pic if you get it mounted on a gun
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Brithunter

Ahhh why thankyou.

It was on the shotgun I took it off to clean a finish it. The fore end was very tight and stuck on from being attached for so long. I am treating it with Red Oil as it's a bit lighter than the but so the Red Oil (Alkanet Root oil) will help darken it and bring out what little grain it has. Luckily the fore end is only a small one typical of these single shots. The whole job will take the best part of a week allowing for drying time.
Go Get them Floyd!

Hunterbug

That's some nice looking wood. Does this mean that you finally got your whole licensing thing sorted out?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Hi HB,

Nope spent another 2 1/2hours going through stuff with the Firearms Enquiry Officer today but I won't hold my breathe as so far they have screwed it up each time so we will wait and see.

Now Shotguns are on a different licence :p  it's a shotgun certificate and they mamanged to get that one right so this is all legal on that. I let my Explosives Licence lapse for now, you need one of them and an RCA (Reciepiant Competant Authority) document to buy,store and transport Black Powder but not for smokeless so I am using Pyodex for now :p .

Oh I will be getting a full bore sound moderator (silencer) in the not too distant future which will go on a re-barreled BSA Monarch now I have a better 1st pattern Monarch to replae the ratty one. Moderated rifles are better for Fox control and protect the hearing  ;)  so it's a health and safety issue.
Go Get them Floyd!

Hunterbug

What a pain in the neck. I can live with limited hunting seasons to not have to deal with that!
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

babbyc1000

so i take it no joy with the rfd then?

believe me you think u got it bad over there, look at my situation!!

Brithunter

Hi All,

I will not know what the outcome and whether the new National Firearms Computer system will produce a correct licence until late next week or more likely a week after that at the earliest :rolleyes: .

Now babby I have not applied for a dealers licence yet. That will come later next year ;)  first I have to replace the roof on the machine shope and at the same time extend the lean to on the side and make it solid and secure as that will be my little stock and work room. Once it's built and my two spare steel cabinets fitted in and some racks for display and a little shelving and of course the alarm system :p  then I will put in for the RFD. The Police keep saying it will be the best and most sensible thing to do so we will see.

I applied some more grain sealer this morning and took off the surface this evening after coming back rom the club. The stock is not drying as I have polished it some more and then applied soem conditioning oil. It's gone better than I first thought it would and I am now at the stage of applying the oil finish whihc is a coat every evening and a coat rubbed in every morning with a light polish in between.
Go Get them Floyd!

babbyc1000

a rottweilers better than an alarm system on its own. it incorporates an alarm, a security guard and a garbage disposal all in the one package!

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well the weather has turned very windy and chilly with quite a bit of dampness. Not ideal for getting the oil finish to dry so I am down to one coat a day :(  Oh well.

Now babby,

We have 3 dogs here 2 of which are mine and they are

a 50lb Staffordshire Bull Terrier,

a 70lb BoxerXStaffordshire,

and an old German Sheppherd.

So not much gets by them heck no one is even allowed to walk past on the road :rolleyes: and the birds are not allowed in the garden according to the cross. He catches them given half a chance and then they are dead :rolleyes:  took a very poor Wren out of his mouth a few months back it didn't survive :( .

But the alarm monitored 24hr is a requirement for an RFD so I will have to comply if I want to go ahead with the plan.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: