Wildcat Cartridge Series - 285 OKH

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), November 18, 2006, 06:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

The information that goes with this cartridge is inaccurate!

I made one of these up on a Sako L-61 action and it performed wonderfully!  Too wonderfully, as a matter of fact.  A friend (back in the 80s) got it off me to use for serious Antelope and Sheep hunting.  I made it up with a Niedner buttplate and grip cap.  The stock was 'Classic' and it had some sort of scope on it (I can't remember right now).  It would easily shoot small groups at 300 yards and the recoil was not bad... even with a steel buttplate.

The information that is 'wrong' is in regard to the "...these cartridges hold about 2 grains less powder than the 280 Remington...".  The chambers for the true .285 OKH are long throated to accept the 165 grain and 175 grain bullet loaded out so that the base of the bullet is even with the base of the neck.  The 280 Remington does not have this feature.  This may be because the author did not take the trouble to find out how the OKH series was originally designed.

The only difference between my chambering and the original OKH is the interior brass tube and the fact that the original bullets were .288 diameter.  I traded Keith out of some of these bullets (for keepsake) but I cannot find them now.  I believe I still have the letter from him with regard to these bullets but the story can be found in his book dealing with cartridges.

recoil junky

Jay, I'm also a fan of OKH cartridges. My Dad and Charlie O'Neill were close friends as was my Mom and Charlie's daughter Rosie. My 1917 Rem. Enfield 30-06AI shows some of Chalie's handiwork. He did the barrel and trigger work for Dad.

There are many myths surrounding OKH and Mr. Kieth in general but I won't get into that here. I have no particular liking for Mr. Kieth and I will leave it at that.

Of the OKH cartridges I think the 285 had the most potential. If I were to make a custom rifle it would be in this caliber. Why? Well if you are going to have a custom rifle built, why make one that oyu could find setting on the shelf in anybodies sporting goods store. :D The only thing I would change is make it an actual .284 bore for the sake of bullet availability.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Tags: