BP Pistols

Started by Brithunter, November 11, 2006, 06:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi All,

Thought you might like to look at these originals that I was lucky enough to look over last week. They belong to a friend lucky Git ;) .

Well as you can see rather nice stuff although a couple have been refinished in the past at some time. The Webley Longspur is not often seen and almost never in this form. It has a number of different things about it having 6 chambers for one thing. Most were 5 shot.

Just thought that you might enjoy the view :D .
Go Get them Floyd!

Jay Edward (deceased)

Absolutely slick BH.  Of all the different mfgs of black powder firearms...  I admire the British the most.  I know there are some fancy black powder firearms (exotic inlays, sculpting, carving, etc.) that have come out of France, Italy, Austria, etc... but there is a 'class' that isn't captured by them that London routinely seemed to turn out.

I've seen one or two on that 'Cash in the Attic' show that went for a couple hundred pounds which I would have loved to have had.  They were exactly what I need for my small collection to show in the demonstrations for the schools and the communities.  These demonstrations depict North West Company and Hudson Bay Company everyday articles... including firearms.

I do not envy the restrictions you have to operate under but I do envy the firearms you get to view.

Brithunter

Hi Jay,

It's 03:00 AM and I have just finished watching "Enemy at the Gates" so I have t be quick before bed.

Now yes I was lucky but these being antiques all you need is luck in finding them and money. I ahve posted phots of probably between $14000 & $17000 US worth of pistols. Now I didn't get chance to photograph the Flinters nor the original Remington New Model Army and the 3rd tranter he has. Let alone the Belgian Pn Fire shotgun whic is very poor shape and the cheaper percussion revolvers and the percusion Dbl Barrel O/U Pistol.

Now if they were mine I could seel a few and make that Elk Hunting trip with money to spare. Speak to you soon ........................ Night.

Go Get them Floyd!

Alboy

Thanks Britthunter

For my tastes the function is the beauty. Really appreciate the pics.

Fancy inlays do not help the shooting any more than chrome will get you home on automobiles. Not bad to look at though.

Being over planned and under financed is a chronic problem in this house too.:)
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

buckshot roberts

:D Yep nice looking handguns, the 3rd and 4th ones look like theso called adams revolver, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Brithunter

Sorry Buckshot,

But they are William Tranters design and trigger cocking. You pull the lower trigger hold it back then squeeze the normal postition trigger to fire the pistol. Early ones like that Rigby retailed one had a seperate loading rammer later ones had the loading rammer on the side of the Barrel. One type had a Adams pattented rammer the one in the photo has a Kerrs patent rammer.

Whoops hang about I am getting confused :o  it's the Webley Longspur wiht teh Keers paptent rammer the Tranter has the ASdams one :D  I think :confused: . You can tell that they are not my normal interest as they are way beyond my means.

The engraving was normal for this period although the basic models would have had none those that could afford the cased examples of course selected engraved models to put in the cases. The Tranter used a conical bullet and those are the correct moulds in those cases.
Go Get them Floyd!

buckshot roberts

;) BH I stand corrected, thanks for the info, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Brithunter

No Problem my friend..................... I only know because Chris brought his reference books up with him last Wednesday and we looked them up. Although these don't quite fit the std specs so hopefully later in the month Bill Harriman will be able to look at them for another opinion.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: