Best Hunting Magazines

Started by Gunslingergirl, November 03, 2006, 01:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunslingergirl

I want to subscribe to some hunting magazines, and I'm not sure which ones I should pick.  Once I started looking I realized there are a lot of them out there.

I'm hoping to get some recommendations from you folks here.  What magazines would you recommend and why?

Thanks for your help with this.

Kristine
We still do not know one-thousandth of one percent
of what nature has revealed to us.
Albert Einstein

Paul Hoskins

Morning Kristine, It's me again. After subscribing to a dozen or more of the mainstream hunting and shooting rags over the past sixty years or so I don't like any of them any more. I used to like Guns and Ammo but it has developed into the same thing as the rest for the most part. Mostly advertising propaganda and articles on such wore out things like the .45 ACP and the '06 Springfield. There is shiploads of ink wasted on these two items alone. How much more can be said about them? Their hunting stories are by so called "experts" are for the most part paid for hunts and you will see the same old thing over and over. It really gets boring. None of them have the appeal of Outdoor Life and Sports Afield from years past. Maybe I'm just getting old and tired of reading the same old stuff over and over. Most any outdoor magazine will be intresting to newcomers I suppose. If I were you, I would buy a few over the counter and pick the ones with the most appeal before decicing which one you want to subscribe to...........Paul H

Jay Edward (deceased)

I agree with Paul.  I receive the American Rifleman (as a Life Member) but I prefer to pick and choose from off the magazine stand rather than subscribe.

The only magazines I receive right now are:

Archaeology in Montana
Musem of the Fur Trade Quarterly
Primitive Archer
Military History

I'm thinking of subscribing to:

Ancient American
American Archaeology

For 'hunting magazines', I lean towards Blackpowder type magazines that are more informative as to the rifle and ammunition rather than specific Big Game.  I do not ever purchase magazines that concentrate on 'the biggest game animals' or 'the most game animals'.  Either subject leads me to think that the goal is one-up-man-ship rather than developing the expertise to take a game animals fairly.

buckshot roberts

:D I'll go along with  Jay and Paul,;)  Me I always like "Outdoor Life"  I grew up on it, still have a lot of the old ones  from the 40's 50's and 60's  but like the rest they have more add's  in them :( than anything, 18 out of 68 pages had some kind of add for something that was to make hunting more eazy for me or anable me to take more or bigger game, Ya get more out of sites like this than a magazine, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Gunslingergirl

Jay, It sounds like you are a history and archeology buff.  Me too, although my interest lies more in English history.  I may have to check out some of those magazines you recommended, they do sound interesting.

Ron, I agree I can learn a ton on the forums, and do all the time.  That said, I also need to monitor the hunting media.  I want to read what the majority of hunters are reading.  So far Deer and Deer Hunting and North American Whitetail seem to be the popular choices.  

Thanks for the input guys.

Kristine
Albert Einstein

babbyc1000

well we would have different mags here in the uk, one i would normally go for is combat and survival (its actually a military mag but gives great tips on concealment, etc, plus i like looking at the guns, wishing i had a Barret light 50 instead of a .22.... ahh no rabbit left, just a steaming red hole in the ground) but i also get shooting times for some tips on shooting

one thing i hate about the mags is that they try to tell you to get expensive equipment, a friend bought a £300 sight (about $550 us i think) and when we compared it to my £24 ($44 ish) sight i got from hong kong off ebay, it was a load of scrap!

you should just pick and choose different mags for the articles at the start til you find one you like, one thing that really bugs me over here is that shooting deer and pheasants is seen as a "gentelmans sport", so everyones always dressed in stupid tweeds looking like an 18th century lord in the magazines, whereas im normally dressed up in camo and webbing looking like an sas trooper (thats were the webbing came from, but it was given to me, its a long story!!)

as someone said already the best place to get tips is on this forum probably, or from friends that shoot. you have to remember that sometimes the media can have another agenda (as i said) from you!
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Gunslingergirl

I hadn't thought about the difference in magazines in the UK.  It looks like we may be doing some selling over there, so I guess I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the advice.

Kristine
Albert Einstein

babbyc1000

that would be a good idea, just go to google.co.uk and look for shooting mags, theres always loads of classifieds in them and itll give you an idea of the market and competitors
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Tags: