Which would you pick REMINGTON 700 SPS or REMINGTON 700 ADL

Started by infinity_656, October 15, 2006, 07:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infinity_656

The local Academy sporting good store has both of these The adl is only offered in the .243 and I never really used that caliber.  I will this for deer and a bit of hog hunting in east texas  non of my shots will be over 50 yards  we have a lot of pine trees still.
the SPS 700 30-06  is 444.00
The 700 ADL is 314.

Jay Edward (deceased)

I own a couple of 700s and they both have worked to perfection.  Brit Hunter will be along to slap me down but I'm used to it.  He prefers Parker Hale and the like.

I don't have a lot of experience hunting with the .243 Winchester.  I've owned two and they both shot extremely well and the one shot on deer did the job nicely.

My brother was hunting hogs once with a .223 and had the hog come some distance to cut him up as well as break his finger.  A .223 is not a .243 but I believe I would opt for the .30-06 in case you have larger game to go after as well.  Gitano will be along to slap me down but I'm used to it.  He prefers the .308 Winchester.

Between Brit Hunter and Gitano I should look like I was rode hard and put up wet.

davidlt89

I am with Jay, .243 is ok for your kid, but a 30.06 is better suited for your needs. Now, don't get me wrong, .243 will kill a deer (I have never hog hunted but I hear they can be vicious and I would want a gun that can stop them in their tracks). Never know what else you may want to hunt though. I have one rem 700 (XCR)and I love it. Remington is my rifle of choice (got your back Jay).  Good luck on your decision. Godbless
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

nrthrn_maine_hunter

I have owned 3 Rem's, 300 Ultra Mag, 308 Win, and 300 WSM.  All have been very accurate and every big game animal I have shot has been with a Remington (all 1-shot kills) even though I hunt with weatherby more often, it is just the way it works out.  I would go with the sps only because I prefer synthetic stocks.  Both calibers will do the job on most animals you would be hunting, my uncles have all shot large bull moose with one shot with a .243 and none have gone more than 10 yards along with numerous deer including a 245 lb 11-point.  It is all about shot placement and confidence in your gun.  That being said, there is a much broader range of animals that will be taken cleanly with the 06.  I am a fan of Rem's and they have never let me down.

Dave,
Dont read too much into this, still a weatherby man!

God is Love!
Justin
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

gitano

Here I come... It's always tough to argue with the '06. That said, the .243 is, after all, based on the .308 Win case. :D Anyway, it'd be tough to make a wrong decision here. Either will serve you well. Get one, use it and learn from it. When you're ready for another rifle, get the other one... or something else.

It's life... there's far more to the journey than the destination. Give up on "wrong" or "best". Pick one and enjoy the journey.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Infinity 656,
   if you are buying at a sporting goods store, why don't you just have them order the caliber you want in the ADL, especially if price is an issue? I owned an ADL before my XCR and I was happy with it. Hard to argue with Paul though, pick a caliber and try it, if it doesn't seem to suite your needs or is not getting the job done, then sell it and get the one you want. I will admit that I like the looks of the SPS but looks are not everything.
Justin,
   Can't believe those words came out of your mouth, I am headed underground because the world is about to end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Dayey,
Told you not to read too much into what I said, I'm still a weatherby man until they fail me, which I'm betting they dont. But of corse I am a Rem fan, thats why I still own one.

Infinity,
The SPS will be a much more durable rifle. But as Dave said, if you prefer one gun to the other, have your dealer order you what you want.
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Tags: