Any favorite Marlin 30/30 Loads out there?

Started by teddy12b, October 15, 2006, 06:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddy12b

I was at the range today making sure that my Marlin 336 30/30 was ready for deer season this year and my handloads are grouping around 1 1/2".  I am using sierra 170gr over 32.5grs of Varget.  

I also experimented with the sierra 125gr rounds today and they didn't impress me at all!

If anyone has a handload for their 30/30 that does great I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Mauserfan in TX

Hey Teddy, I also use Varget for the Mrs. 30-30 Marlin. I use a 170 gn sierra sp and get groups about 1.75 in. I will eventually work up others as i have been told IMR3031 gives good results in the Marlin 30-30. Her rifle will shoot 3 shots inside a paster @ 100 yds with Winchester 150 gn sp, and i have a lot of those laying around . So she does'nt need me to load for her to much until she shoots her stash up. So how are you liking that new 6.8 AR?
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

teddy12b

The 6.8 has been great so far.  I've fired some Remington FMJ through it to break in the barrel and I have handloaded some Sierra pro hunters, Hornady HPBT's, and Barnes TSX all setting on H335 in increments of .5grs.  I'm looking forward to my next trip to the range so I can experiment with these rounds and really start to see what ones really work well for my rifle.

I'm still planning on using my 30/30 as my primary deer rifle this year, but I keep thinking the 6.8 with a 5 round mag sounds like a good time as well.

m gardner

Teddy; I've shot a pile of deer with the 170 grain Speer flatnose and IMR 4895. It wokrs well out to 150 yards from personal experience and is accurate. God bless and good hunting.
Mark

teddy12b

Since I originally started this thread I have gone to the range to compare my handloads with the new hornady leverolution rounds.  Needless to say my handloads didn't even remotely stack up.  I will be hunting with the leverultion rounds this season.  I know they say they are safe but I'll only be having one round in the chamber and one in the tube.  I just can't see stacking pointing tipped bullets in a levergun.  Sooner or later those tips are goign to get near frozen and I don't want any accidents.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: teddy12b... and I don't want any accidents.

The right kind of hunting partner.

Mauserfan in TX

I am going to South Tx. next week with the son-in-law. He is going to be using the new Hornady LeverEvoloutin rnd as well. I will let y'all know how they worked.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

Tags: