Parker - Hale???

Started by mmoser, November 17, 2004, 11:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmoser

Has anyone heard of a Parker - Hale rifle?  There is one for sale on my local classifieds in 270 winchester, any information would be apprieciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Jay Edward (deceased)

I picked up a Parker-Hale in .243 Winchester and gave it to my son many years ago.  It was made very well, it was very accurate and accounted for several head of game including my oldest son's first Antelope.

I'd say I traded for it around 1982-4 and, as I recall, was quite satisfied with the trade.

kombi1976

Parker-Hale was a British firm that built rifles around Mauser actions from end of WWII onwards. They made well built, functional rifles that stood up(and still stand up) to hunting conditions and are on the whole quite accurate. A few people have described them as a little clunky but any P-H I've ever seen hasn't really fit that description. Probably it's best put that in their heyday they were competing against the pre-64 Model 70 and other more highly regarded US built rifles. But if the price is right and you like the look of the gun you probably won't be disappointed. In fact rather the contrary.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

swede

I know people that use the Parker Hale and they like them . For a hunting rifle at the right price i do not think you will be sorry.

mmoser

I haven't looked at it yet, but does $425 sound reasonable for the rifle with the Bauch & Lomb 2 1/2 x 8 variable scope?  Here is the link to it. http://www.rollanet.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/shopping/classifieds/index.cgi?mode=view&viewcategory=Sports&adindex=593156390692

RumRunner

Quote from: mmoserI haven't looked at it yet, but does $425 sound reasonable for the rifle with the Bauch & Lomb 2 1/2 x 8 variable scope? Here is the link to it. http://www.rollanet.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/shopping/classifieds/index.cgi?mode=view&viewcategory=Sports&adindex=593156390692
The term "reasonable" is somewhat subjective. I have owned several Parker Hale rifles and I was very pleased with all of them. The Parker Hale is on a Mauser Type action that was control feed, if I remember correctly.
If I were looking for a .270 caliber I would be very tempted. It appears pretty clean from the picture. Notice the "California Rake" of the stock....somewhat reminsent of the earlier Mark V Weatherby's??? In the 1960's and 1970's that was a very competitive design, and has probably sold a lot of rifles, regardless of the rifles virtues....it has that certain "look".
Is $425 reasonable? It's all in the eyes of the beholder.
Walk softly and carry a big ol\' Smoothbore!

Daryl (deceased)

My dad had what appears to be the exact same rifle back in the 70's and early 80's.  It was marked "J.C. Higgins", but it looked exactly the same, including the pistol grip cap and fore-end cap.  Shoot, it was even a .270 Win!  Based on a Mauser action, and it shot pretty well from what I remember.  I know he killed several deer with it.

Funny thing about that rifle was that it had a left hand cheek piece and a right hand bolt.  He paid about $45.00 for the rifle, a scabbard, and several boxes of shells.  It had a messed up Weaver scope on it, so that was replaced and the cheek piece was rasped off and the stock refinished.  Was a nice rifle when he finished with it.

I think he sold it for about $250.00 in about '84 without a scope.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hunterbug

I would say that 425 for that rifle with the B&L scope is a reasonable price. It's not fantastic but you're not getting robbed either. But I'm kind of picky as I can walk down the street right now and buy a pretty nice Ruger 77 30-06 with a Bushnell scope for 300.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Fortunate Son

I hunted with one briefly some years ago while in Europe.  It was a good reliable and accurate rifle.  The price, especially with the Bausch and Lomb, seems very fair to me.
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

Brithunter

Hi All,

If the price is right for you and you like the look and feel (if you get chance to handle it that is) then go for it!

The rifle is a P-H 1200 Super from the look of it, I have a vey late one in 7.92mm (8x57) which the bedding needs loking at. It was NIB when I got it but it had been is storage from many years. These were made for an export order and this is one of the over runs. Stock is Turkish or Italian walnet and very light, there were some Quality issues about 1996 when mu was made hence te poor bedding which is easily correctable.

That one is an older one I woudl guess and P-H were nown for good accurate barrels that seem to last well. The action ..........well it's a pure 98 mauser action so what can one say

Scope is a Leupold Vaxi X 111 2.5-8x36 in Leupold QR bases/rings

Parker-Hale made several models including the 1200 Super Clip which had a detachab;e magazine, 1100 which was tha magnum line up. I have one in .458 WM, 1000 which was alighter more conservertaivly style rifle more British than the 1200 whihc was aimed at the US market hence the California styling. The made a M81 Classic which is a real beauty, I nearly brought one in 7mm Rem Mag but brought a Ruger No1 instead. perhaps I got that one wrong

as it came from the box complete with hang tag.
Go Get them Floyd!

Flatlander

Are you close enough to go shoot it it's a very good looking weapon if I were in the market I would pay the price for it as if it's been taken care of as it looks with that scope which I like

kombi1976

Out of interest, MMoser, did you buy the Parker-Hale?
I'd love to see a 5-shot group at 100yds from that rifle. :)
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well I wandered into the local gunshop nosing around as you do;) and what do I spy on the rack but a as new P-H 1200 Super chambered in .308. I look at the price and as usual he has it priced too high:rolleyes: I may just see what I can get him to shift the price down too, not that I need another one you know, but it would be an interesting comparision to the one I already have in 7.92mm.
Go Get them Floyd!

BCHUNTER

I had 2 parker-hales 243 win,30-06. Wish I never sold them, better shooters than the mod 70 and abolt
that i bought to replace them.

nebhunt

i really like parker hale guns i have had a 22 250 for about 20 years and now i am looking for another one for my son. if anyone would know where a model p - h 1200 super 22 250 heavy barrel could be located i would realy appreciate hearing from you.
thanks

Tags: