The Leman Rifle - An American Classic

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), November 17, 2004, 04:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This is another firearm that I owned at one time and regret letting someone talk me out of it.  The one I had did not have such fancy wood but it was in all other respects, a carbon copy of this rifle.

This is the type of rifle that was really treasured by American trappers and much more moderately priced than a contemporary Hawken.  Full stock has always appealed to me but half-stock seems to be more desireable to many.

In .54, .58 or .60 caliber...this rifle is the perfect rifle for hunting larger North American game.

Stryker

A truly, magnificent speciman. My only complaints about the Leman, Tennessee rifles or late Ohio rifles, are the half-moon or cresent butt stocks. I simply find them uncomfortable. I like some curve to them, but not one that wraps around my shoulder. Other than that minor issue, they are a joy to shoot.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Smokepole

I also thought the curvature of the butt was to much for my "svelte figure" (More like a bowling ball), but was instructed to mount the firearm different.  And it sure did make a difference.  You never even notice the recoil and my scores went up.

This style of firearm was not intended for shooting from the shoulder pocket.  You actually mount the firearm more on your upper arm just outside the shoulder.

This will allow for possible bags and powder horns to be secured and not in the way of your shooting and to accommodate the extra clothing during the winter.  The extra clothing will cause a change in the length of pull and therefore change your POI.  I use both 50 cal and 54 cal Lyman great Plains in the manner.

Sincerely
Smokepole

ccole26

The Leman rifle! I have been looking for good pics for reserch as I plan on building one from pecatonica river somthing or other.I am wondering if flint locks ar historicley corect on thes and what type is recomended?And what do I do to make it accurate for shooting as I plan on shooting it alot.

quigleysharps4570

Stryker

Quote from: ccole26The Leman rifle! I have been looking for good pics for reserch as I plan on building one from pecatonica river somthing or other.I am wondering if flint locks ar historicley corect on thes and what type is recomended?And what do I do to make it accurate for shooting as I plan on shooting it alot.
The short answer to your question is yes; Flintlocks on the Leman Trade Rifle are historically correct. Did he build rifles with percussion locks? He certainly did, but I remember reading somewhere there any many more surviving Leman flintlocks than percussion locks. If I can find the article I'll post it. He was definately a traditionalist. Had he not passed away his company would probably have gone out of business as he refused to make the "new-fangled" breach loading weapons. In my opinion the last of the great gunsmiths to come from Lancaster, PA.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."

ccole26

Thanks!!! I have made progress! I ask and ask and people say Le-what? I cant eaven get info at the Houston Public library and it is HUGE! Now do you know where I might find a good sorce of pictures and historical info to use as refrence while I build?

Stryker

Quote from: ccole26Thanks!!! I have made progress! I ask and ask and people say Le-what? I cant eaven get info at the Houston Public library and it is HUGE! Now do you know where I might find a good sorce of pictures and historical info to use as refrence while I build?
You may want to try Trade Rifle Sketchbook by Charles E. Hanson III. Lot's of Leman stuff in there. His rifles were a bit different though, I understand he would mix brass and steel furniture. Use oval, round and pinapple cap boxes. Seems to me he was a little eclectic in his building...
- Mark

ccole26

This is what has drawn me to this rifle! But I only find kits and that is great and they are WAY in my price range I just cant get good info.I want a rifle that is historicly correct as well as all the goodies that go with it.Could the mixed up parts be from repairs or just being thrown together to get them sold?

RumRunner

Quote from: ccole26This is what has drawn me to this rifle! But I only find kits and that is great and they are WAY in my price range I just cant get good info.I want a rifle that is historicly correct as well as all the goodies that go with it.Could the mixed up parts be from repairs or just being thrown together to get them sold?
[/size]

I "think" Sir, what he was sayin is.....Both Leman and Gemmer sometimes stepped outside the box when it came to "their" rifles, either on their own, or sometimes at the request of customers. However, their "style" was definitive in every way.

It is my opinon that differences seen in skeetch books was sometimes the creation of the artist, as much so as that of the gun builder. I am also just as sure that some were built, on request, that differed from their customary work, and looked just like those seen in skeetch books. You choose which one fits you best.

TOTW is noted for being historicaly correct on all their rifles. Both TOTW and Pecatonica River Rifle Works are know for shipping their kits COMPLETE.
Not everone who sells kits does this...you get a few parts, a few moths later you get a few more, and still later you may get something else.
Be very careful who you order from, and make sure they guarantee all parts will be shipped at one time.

Some excellent reading might be "The Gunsmith of Greenville County" by Peter A. Alexander.
Walk softly and carry a big ol\' Smoothbore!

ccole26

Thank you verry much.I was going to ask about pecatonica river rifle works next but you took care of that one for me.When I get my kit I will be posting pics as I go along for comments and such.I will be going to get me some tools for the job today since I dont work today.Thank you much for the infoo and if you got it I will take all you got.

Tags: