Range report

Started by Brithunter, August 27, 2006, 08:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Well the weather held but the wind was brisk. This is not too much of a problem at the club range due to the way the small range is built:-

As you can see it's banked up either side which provides a wind break. Behind the firing point facing the opposite way is the 25 meter pistol range so the backstop for that provides a wind break from that direction :D .

Today I took 3 rifles to try out:-

CZ ZKK 601.308
P-H 1100 deluxe .30-06
P-H 1200V 6mm

The .308 was up first, the new load with the Speer 150 grn RN prooved to be not as good as I had hoped producing groups of 1 1/2" :( However I had put soem old 165 grn loads also using Reloader 15 into the range bag and so tried them.

The stray is from a Factory 180 Grn Win Silver Tip which this rifle hates. It spread them in a wide group :confused: .

As you can see they are more than adequte :D so 165 grn bullets it is from now on ;) The shot low left with the Speer 165 grn was caused by a fellow club member with a darned Muzzle break :frown the 3 shots in one hole I am very happy with, pity I could not calm down and get #4 in with them :rolleyes: .

The 165 rn Nosler BT is a sterling performer. Yes sakorick I know you said try them :rolleyes: however these were loaded back in November 2005. Now it was with a one of these Nosler BT's that I shot my first Roe Buck ;) the Speer 165's were loaded in March 2005.

The 30-30 did not like the Speer 150 Grn RN loads I had made up either producing a 9 shot group of 3 1/2". I fouled the bore first with a 155grn A-Max load as I had two cartridges left over with these bullets in them. At the end of the group I fired the remaining A-max load and well guess what?.................... it went 1/4" above dead center :p . So at least I have an accurate load for the 30-06. I seem to recall they grouped quite well too.

The P-H 1200V which has been driving me nuts is now behaving much better. Seems that the old Pecar 4-10x45 has some issues so a quote from Pecar for overhaul will be sort ;).

The loads still need refining and I got a nice tight 1/2" group and a couple of 1" groups. A better scope optically would help. This old Japanese one I hauled out of a drawer is not that clear but it did proove that the rifle is capable of shooting to the same place. Plans will be made to aquire a new scope for this rifle :p ;) . Perhaps one with more magnification, something above 10X would be nice, but time will tell.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Great targets BH, and a great-looking range too!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Why Thankyou Paul,

The range is owned by a family of Farmers who all shoot and they rebuilt it like this about 3 years ago. The facilities are actually quite good and they even have a running Boar target set up with small railway tracks behind and below the target frames. Oh and proper toilets too. The 25 Meter benches are under cover the prone 75 meters ones are not as yet. They did buy a steel barn to go over the firing points but the planners (local Council) refused it as it was an argicultural building and it was not be used for agricuture and they claim that the steel beams are 1mm to thin for industrial use which the claim the range is!!!!! Sheesh where do they get these people?

Hmm thinking about this I have some Speer 180 grn bullets and I wonder if they might shoot better in my 30-06. Will dig them out and give them a whirl.

Oh club fees are £80 ($144 US) per anum with no range fees.
Go Get them Floyd!

buckshot roberts

Brithunter, :) That is a well kept range, I'm no reloader but found this post very interesting just like all the othes, I've got a 94 in 30/30 that gives me the best groups with the 170 stuff,Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Brithunter

The range is an old one built for the military to train on. There are some old newspaper cuttings in the Range shack. The family rebuilt it and updated it to meet the currect regulations which meant raising the back stop higher. On Sunday the local Army Cadets were shooting there and during the week the police use it as it's only about 7 miles from the County HQ.

Oh I checked the reloading manual and it looks like to get the best out of 180 Grain bullets in the 06 I may have to get another powder from what I already have. This may have to go on hold due to the cost of powder here. Hodgdons is about £31 ($55:80 US) per 1lb tub!!!!!! Will look and see what I have in daylight before deciding what to do.
Go Get them Floyd!

2ndtimer

Quote from: BrithunterThis may have to go on hold due to the cost of powder here. Hodgdons is about £31 ($55:80 US) per 1lb tub!!!!!! Will look and see what I have in daylight before deciding what to do.
Yikes!  What do other powders cost over there?  I guess I shouldn't be complaining about the almost $50 US I have to pay for a 2 lb container of Vihtavuori N-165.  And I am almost ashamed to admit that I recently got my second order from Powder Valley of a pair of 8 lb kegs of Accurate Data 86 Extruded, for just over $153 US delivered to my door.  (Works out to less than $10 US per lb)  The Data 86 powder isn't quite as clean burning as the Vit powder, but at 40% of the cost with almost as good accuracy, I can't pass it up.

Brithunter

HI 2ndtimer,

Vhit is around £50 per tub which is about $90 US. I started using soem Vectan powders from Nobel Sport namely TU 5000 and SP7 as they are cheaper but up here where I now live they don't stock them. I think that some of the problems with the price are all the new regulations imposed here bu the EU. This means more testing so more expense and we are no safer now than we were before yet some pen pusher in Brussles has created more paper work so justified their position!

I also think it's designed to make it more expensive so that les people will continue reloading and less will take it up. They are trying to tax it out of existance. For instance primers took a price hike and a lot of that wa sblamed on new regualations and  am getting low on rifle primers. Shooting is getting to be a very expensive hobby here now.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

QuoteI also think it's designed to make it more expensive so that les people will continue reloading and less will take it up. They are trying to tax it out of existance.
While I do not think this is the primary reason stricter regulations and elevated costs are implemented, I do believe is it a very close second.[/COLOR]

QuoteShooting is getting to be a very expensive hobby here now.
It is everywhere unfortunately, and in large part for the very reason you stated above. I know who my enemy in this is. He is easy to spot. What galls me is the widepread collusion with the enemy by self-proclaimed "sportsmen". Those that ram "ethics standards" (now there's an oxymoron for ya), down their fellow hunters throats, for example. By the way, I'm NOT thier/your fellow hunter. I could go on (probably ad nauseum for most), but I'm already way off-topic here.

My condolences on the burdens you have to bear in England in order to pursue a heritage of hunting.

Paul[/COLOR]
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Hi Gitano,

Hmmm well hunting is indeed in MY heritage as my Grandfather, thta is Dad's father, was a Gamekeeper. Mum was always surprised that I never went into it. However in the mid 70's openings were not exactly abundant :(  so I ended up in Engineering just like Dad. The daft thing about all this is that Stalking is now more popular than ever before with more people getting involved. The Deer population is larger than ever due to modern agriculture and due to more people leading to more roads and more & more traffic. Accidents involving Deer are increasing every year :rolleyes: .

When the green bunny huggers get their Porsche or Toyota Land Cruiser bent by a deer them seem to quickly change their stance and call for the Deer to be controled :p especially if little Tarquin is shaken up or even hurt :eek: .

It's funny how they claim to be green yet drive expensive vehilces which are not that efficient on fuel but are always fashionable :rolleyes: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: