Hardness and pressure and velocity

Started by drinksgin (deceased), August 21, 2006, 04:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

On another forum,some posters wanted plinking loads for .45-70.
I have 2 bullets I use for that, I had some 205gr SWC plain base, .459".
I had a few of air cooled wws, BHN 12, and some water dropped wws, BHN 28.
I loaded 10 of each with 23gr of a milsurp ball powder, WC 820,same speed as AA #9, a medium and magnum pistol powder.
I have been learning about ball powders, seems they are like 2 cycle engines, need some back pressure to perform best.
I shot the loads, the A/C BHN 12 bullets gave a high of 1548 and a low of 1215fps, average of 10 shots, =1355fps.
Same bullet and powder charge, just water dropped and BHN 28, high of 1624 and a low of 1529, average of 10 shots, = 1575fps.
The harder bullet was faster and had much less variation.
Mean much, not really, but interesting for casters.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Don,

Thank you for the input......most interesting.  I am not a cast bullet person but may be trying some stuff next spring.  Question or 2..........where are you obtaining you surplus powders?  As to lead buddits........is there anyway you can harden the base and soften the tip...you know about 50/50?

As you can tell by my question  .. I am totally ignorant of lead bullets............duhhhhhh!:(

Ol' John:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

drinksgin (deceased)

John;
So far, I have just bought from the site at GIBRASS, I was getting tired of $24 a pound powder and some at about $ 8 or so a pound, delivered, was an attraction.
The site gives references to regular  commercial powders for loading info.
I have been learning on ball powders, they do not behave as the extruded powders.
I have used BLC-2 for at least 30-40 years, but only with jacketed bullets and more or less full power loads.
I was not aware reduced loads of ball powder gave erratic ignition and velocities until I started in on these powders a few months a ago.
The faster powders are not much of a problem, the mid and slow speed are really bothersome.
As to soft piont cast bullets, there are people who are doing it, it is not a really easy route.
Using low antimony alloys, adding a trace of Arsenic and water dropping or oven heat treating the bullets give bullets that are hard without being brittle, that being the problem with linotype, which is high in Antimony, a BHN of about 20 and much more brittle than water dropped wheel weights, up to BHN 32 in water dropped bullets.
If using larger calibers, a 50% or larger meplat is a good game load, 70% or so is a real shocker.
I prefer heavy bullets with a large meplat and medium velocity, 1500-2000 fps.
I am just starting with a new mold, a 370gr RF GC in .459, .45-70, I hope to get 1600-1700fps, should be a pig roller!
I shall infect you with casteritis one of these days!
Don;)
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: drinksginJohn;
So far, I have just bought from the site at GIBRASS, I was getting tired of $24 a pound powder and some at about $ 8 or so a pound, delivered, was an attraction.
The site gives references to regular commercial powders for loading info.  Thanks for the info....will have to look at their website...$8 a lb. is really good news to those of us on Social Security.

I have been learning on ball powders, they do not behave as the extruded powders. Yes, they are definitely a different "breed of cat!"

I was not aware reduced loads of ball powder gave erratic ignition and velocities until I started in on these powders a few months a ago.
The faster powders are not much of a problem, the mid and slow speed are really bothersome.  Reduced loads of the slower 'stick' powders like H4831 and 4350 or slower are not recommended at all from what I remember reading in the Hodgon manuals.

Appreciate all the info, neighbor!:D
I shall infect you with casteritis one of these days!  Just what I need is another "itis"...as you well know I am already suffering from 6.5itis, accuracyitis, free-floatitis and wildcatitis.  I guess one more can't be all that bad..........................;)
Don;)

Ol' John....:p
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Tags: