6.8mm SPC as a hunting caliber?

Started by teddy12b, August 20, 2006, 08:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddy12b

Hey Everyone,
         I've been looking over the internet and I'm starting to notice more rifles being chambered in the 6.8mm SPC.  What do you all think of this as a hunting round?  It seems that generally speaking most people think that a 223 is too small but many people use it to great success, but will the 6.8mm SPC be considered too small still?  Remington has 4 kinds of ammo at 115grs and a 308 is between 125grs and 180grs with some exceptions.  
         The two seem pretty close so that's why I wanted to ask everyone here what they thought.

Hunterbug

There is a big difference between a 223 and a 6.8 SPC. The SPC shoots a bullet that is twice as heavy and is .054" larger. At the muzzle the 6.8 has almost 500 more foot pounds of energy. So there really isn't much of a comparison. I would have no qualms about using the 6.8 SPC and actually think tha tit's a cool round that I wouldn't mind trying. The 223 on the other hand is not legal in Colorado for big game and I wouldn't use it if it was.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=R223R1*PRC68R4
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

teddy12b

I agree that there isn't much comparison between the 6.8mm spc and the 223, but at the same time there isn't that much to compare it to the 308 either.  I think it'd be a good gun but I have never shot one or heard of it's affects on game.

Hunterbug

I think that it compares favorably with the 250 Savage or a light loaded 257 Bob. I read an article by gitano's favorite writer, Bryce Towsley, on the 6.8 SPC and he liked it. He used it for mountain lion and I think a couple of deer but I don't remember. Look at it this way. Anything the 270 can the 6.8 SPC can do, just closer.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

klallen

It wouldn't be my first choice as a big game cartridge.  But there's no doubt it'd work.  If looking for a new rifle in a short action cartridge, those same companies offering the SPC also offer, more then likely, the .260 or 7mm-08 or .308 .  All much better choices for big game.  That light 115 gr. bullet that the SPC's designed around, again, would function, but with them readily available, I'd like the option of loading the cartridge up with a heavier .277 bullet.  Problem with these really small cartridges is the second you try a longer, more appropriate big game bullet, you loose fuel for the fire.  And when powder capacity is at a minimum already, loosing more just is't a viable option.

That said, I do understand the thinking behind hunting with the mini cartridges.  I've had this desire for many years now to get myself a light-weight, sporter, bolt action in 7.62x39 boughten or made for close range hunting.  CZ, Ruger and now Remington all offer them.  Like the SPC, it wouldn't be an ideal choice for an all-around big game weapon, but if use wisely and not pressed into doing something it could not, it'd work fine.  Certainly would be a drastic change from the cartridges I typically choose for my big game hunting needs.  Later.  >>  klallen

teddy12b

If I ever bought one I doubt I'd ever use it for big game.  Big game being anything larger than a deer.  One of the new bushmasters in this caliber may be great for hog hunting where it's close action and a quick follow up shot may be required.  Does anyone know if the military is offially going to be switching to this round?

Mauserfan in TX

The only military people who are using it are S.F. guys . A friend of mine just got back from Afghanastan and had good reports about it. He says it has better knock down than the .223 at longer ranges. The only difference is that they were'nt hunting 4-legged critters , just 2-legged vermin. A neat trick would be to re-do a Ruger Mini-30 in this round, It would make a handy truck rifle. There is just got to be a nitch for a semi-auto .270 short.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: Mauserfan in TX... A neat trick would be to re-do a Ruger Mini-30 in this round, It would make a handy truck rifle. There is just got to be a nitch for a semi-auto .270 short.[/quoteWell, color me ignorant.........I have read some of the advertising hoop-la on this cartridge and I am not swayed one way or another. I would think that if you want something worthwhile ... just rebarrel the Ruger Mini-30 to the 6.5 Grendel and get with the program....Why a .270? Now don't get me wrong...do what tickles your fancy!:D Here is a pic or two of the 6.5 Grendel, (if I can find them)........

Ol' John;)

The first pic is the 6.5 Grendel on the left compared with the 6.5 BR on the right.

2nd pic is the long list of the 6.5 cartridges......the 6.5 Grendel is on the far left.

Forgive me for being the 6.5 fan that I am....like leprosy..there is no cure!

Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Hunterbug

I would use the 6.8 SPC on deer out to 250 or 300 yards or so. I would use it on elk under very controled conditions. Would it be my first choice? No, but it would work. I also wouldn't worry about using heavier .277 bullets in it. If I wanted to use heavier .277 bullets then I would be shooting a 270 WSM or 270 Winchester. This round was designed for the M-16 but it will work great as a hunting round for deer, hogs or antelope.

John, I don't know if the 6.5 Grendel would work or not. What is the head size on it? One of the design requirements with the 6.8 SPC was that it had to fit the M-16 and it was determined that this was the maximum head size without redesigning the upper reciever. All you need to convert the M-16 from 5.56 to 6.8 is a new bold face and barrel both of which are easy to replace.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Here we have the old Trapdoor and Snider scenario all over again! Gotto use the existing stocks and convert them whilst not admiting that it was a huge balls up in the first place.
Go Get them Floyd!

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: HunterbugI would use the 6.8 SPC on deer out to 250 or 300 yards or so. I would use it on elk under very controled conditions. Would it be my first choice? No, but it would work. I also wouldn't worry about using heavier .277 bullets in it. If I wanted to use heavier .277 bullets then I would be shooting a 270 WSM or 270 Winchester. This round was designed for the M-16 but it will work great as a hunting round for deer, hogs or antelope.

John, I don't know if the 6.5 Grendel would work or not. What is the head size on it?  The head diameter is the same as the 7.62x39, for more info see this site  ... www.65grendel.com ...One of the design requirements with the 6.8 SPC was that it had to fit the M-16 and it was determined that this was the maximum head size without redesigning the upper reciever. All you need to convert the M-16 from 5.56 to 6.8 is a new bold face and barrel both of which are easy to replace.

Ol' John:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

Hunterbug

EH, I guess that it would work ok. :p

Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

All. Colorado has ruled them out for big game for a good reason. I see no use for the cartridge other than plinking. I know of no game animal weighing around 100 pounds that stands around at 100 yards. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Mauserfan in TX

Hey John, 6.5 's RULE. I still favor my little chopped Swed for my all ' round truck rifle. However I did pick up a .270Win. this past weekend. Why you ask? Because I did'nt have one. When I get down to Brady in the next month or two I am going to have to look you up.   Take Care All,
                              Danny
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: sakorickAll. Colorado has ruled them out for big game for a good reason. I see no use for the cartridge other than plinking. I know of no game animal weighing around 100 pounds that stands around at 100 yards. Regards, Rick.

Rick,

Now which cartridge are we talking about? The 6.8SPC, the 6.5 Grendel or the .223? The 6.8SPC is bullet diameter of .277, the Grendel is .264(:D, my personal favorite;) ).

Now as to the .223 and no game animal standing around at 100yards.........well, the Aoudad ram that fell to my .223 was at about 65yards, standing around, and best guess was about 200lbs. Now Texas Hill country whitetail are smallish, 75-100#'s, mostly. 35+ have fallen to my .223, longest shot about 175 yards(shame on me) and all were one-shot kills. It can be done if you are selective about the shots you take, have an accurate rifle and use Remington or Winchester 55gr SP's. The Federal 55's are much too explosive and I have quit using them. Now would I use this cartridge on CO muley's...........NO!..........Thats what I have the 6.5 Swede for....bigger deer and longer shots.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

Tags: