A good .257 cal bullet for deer?

Started by kombi1976, November 15, 2004, 02:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

Today a mate dropped in to pick up a VW engine I've been "storing" for him and he told me that in the new year there are a heap of deer to cull from a particular property. Apparently the owner only wants one species on the land and there are 2 so one lot are to bite the dust. Best thing is there's only 3 of us that are doing it and there's a proper meat dressing shed and everything.
But, as usual, the catch is using the correct bullet and as the only rifle I have that's suitable is my Enfield .25/303 I'm limited to that cal. All the bullets I have loaded for my .25/303 are either varmint bullets or are hollow points, hardly an appropriate projectile for knocking down decent sized deer. I can't use bullet weights above 100gn effectively because the barrel twist won't stabilise them and to be honest, the .25/303 really shines with an 87gn projectile. Unfortunately most of those in .257 cal are varmint bullets.
The Enfield can push a 87gn to about 2900fps and can push a 100 to around 2850fps. Any tips, guys?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

kombi1976,

You didn't state what brand of bullets you are using but yes you can use varmint bullets for deer...........You just have to be more selective in placing your shots. I used the Sierra 90gr HPBT for years as my varmint/deer bullet in my 257 Ackley Improved. If your rifle is as accurate as you say try the following...........at 100 yards or less..neck shot only. Make sure the deer is looking at you. Past 100 yards, broadside shot only just behind the shoulder, mid ways up the body. Try to place the bullet in the lung area. Don't do shoulder shots. My 257 Ackley had a 1 in 12" twist and, like yours, would not stabilize anything over 100 grains.

Go to it and getter done!!!!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Hunterbug

I would use a 100gr Hornady Interlock. That's the bullet that I use for antelope and would use for deer if I used my 257 for thoes. My friend has used it in his 257 AI and killed deer at a hair over 300 yards with no problem. Good luck.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

If you insist on "non-varmint" bullets, Nosler makes a .257 Partition in 100 grains.

Unless the "deer" you're talking about are moose, (and actually even then), the 87 grain Combined Technology SilverTip (AKA the Nosler Ballistic Tip with moly coating) will do just fine provided you don't shoot the deer in the gut or butt. You will not be able to shoot them in the butt and "drive through" to the heart, nor will you be able to gut-shoot them and have them drop on the spot.

How come nobody ever asks me to come "cull" their deer? :(

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: gitanoHow come nobody ever asks me to come "cull" their deer? :(

Paul
Paul my friend,

The only conclusion I have been able to come up with is...............................................

...........WE HAVE BEEN STANDING IN THE WRONG LINE!!!!......................................

Ol' John..:( :( :( :mad: :mad:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

kombi1976

Hondo, the most successful bullet so far has been the Sierra 90gn HPBT GameKing you spoke of. It's accurate(I suppose due to it's shape) and it has smacked down roos with authority. I suppose the question is whether or not it is suitable for trophy animals.
I have some custom loaded 100gn soft points but I'd only use them on pigs. I can't be sure of their accuracy. The big question is do I need to get bonded core bullets or am I wasting my money?
I would be paying about $29 per 50 projectiles so I'm not rushing into it.
The thing that mystifies me is why bullet companies don't sell 10 bullet sample packs. I'd be buying lots of them to trial.
And Paul, I don't get asked to do this all the time. In fact it'll be my first go at deer hunting. Actually, it's a case of who you know, not what you know....... ;)

BTW, if anyone has a spare rifle in 7mm Mauser they aren't using it'll solve all of my problems this way. Surely you can donate one to a lowly Aussie :p
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

kombi1976,

Hey, a good morning to ya! (it is morning there in NSW, isn't it?) Its nite time here @9:19PM central standard time in Hondo, Texas.

Just how BIG are those deer there in Australia?????? Tell me in kilo's as I can do the math!
I would not hesitate to use those Sierras on any thing up to 300#'s (136 kilos). Using the perametersI noted in my previous post. I am aware some of the 'roos get pretty big but which variety have you hunted? The bullet we are discussing will perform very well with positive expansion to about 300 yards based on my past experience. The whole secret to any quick & positive kill is bullet selection and bullet placement.

When you get on with the hunt.......camera is a necessity. We need pics of the animals and any bullet autopsy you might do. If the autopsy pics are too graphic for the forum you can send via -e- mail. I would love to be there to test bullets and calibers..WOW--WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY...

Getter done, neighbor!!!

Ol' John (GREEN WITH ENVY!!!!!!)...:rolleyes:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

CAfrica

Kombi,

We have a local manufacturer who makes Monometal HP bullets.  Their 257 calibre bullets are 80 and 85gr at about R45.00 for 50 (That is about $7.50 US Plus postage).

Go to their site at GSCustom.co.za and you can order online (Their HV bullet line).  If you order Airmail (and subject to bullet availability) you might be able to get some in time (don't know when your hunt is).  This bullet is similar to the Barnes X and it is an excellent strong bullet that will not fail.  Here is a pic of the bullet.

Regards.

C

gitano

That's an interesting site CAfrica, and those are interesting bullets. You seem to be off by an order of magnitude on the price though. From what I read, 50 HV .257 bullets would cost between $54 and $56  USD, plus all foreign orders requiring a $13 customs fee, plus shipping costs. Assuming something like $17 (just to make round numbers) for shipping, that brings the total to about $85 USD for 50 bullets.

Correct me where I'm wrong here, please, as I would buy a whole bunch of these GS bullets for $7.50/50 plus shipping!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: gitanoCorrect me where I'm wrong here, please, as I would buy a whole bunch of these GS bullets for $7.50/50 plus shipping!

Paul
C-,

I am with Paul on the site..most informative-------thanks for sharing!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

kombi1976

I too agree with Paul. A friend is regularly in Sth Africa but if I have to pay the equivalent of AUD$70 for a box of 50 I'll give it a miss. Perhaps th prices the site lists are for boxes of a 1000. Actually the .25 cal 85 gn HV bullet they make looks perfect for my rifle. It might not be suitable for smaller soft skinned game but it'd really dispatch goats, pigs and deer well. Could you check that out for us all, C?
Cheers & God Bless

CAfrica

Sorry all,  my Alzheimers light kicking in there.

You are quite correct, the price is more like $55 / 50 rounds.  Just note the $13 is per package so if you order several packets, you only pay that once.

Sorry if I got everybody exited with those incorrect prices. I think I'll go sit in the corner for a while.

C

gitano

It's too bad, as I would really like to try some of both the HV and FN varieties. However, I really do like to recover bullets, and I can't hardly imagine ever recovering one of those shot at a range of less than 350 yds.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Quote from: gitanoIt's too bad, as I would really like to try some of both the HV and FN varieties. However, I really do like to recover bullets, and I can't hardly imagine ever recovering one of those shot at a range of less than 350 yds.

Paul
You never know. I wouldn't have expected to recover a Barnes X from a 338 but I did. Yes it was 305 yards and the bullet went lengthwise through a good sized cow elk but that's beside the point. ;) In all honsety I don't see how these bullets are all that different from the Barnes Tripple shocks. Yes they do have a more pronounced boattail but other than that they are pretty close. And the Barnes is quite a bit cheaper. Which is saying alot because they ain't cheap!
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

CAfrica

Gitano,

You are right, so far I have recovered one 30 calibre (150gr @ 3100ft/s from a 30-06) from a Blou Wildebeest and one 40gr (220 Swift @ 4270ft/s) from a Warthog.  Everything else went right through!

The amazing thing was how much retained weight that 40gr bullet had despite the extreme velocity (shot was only about 80 yards).

They have recently upped their prices and the Rand also strengthened significantly against other currencies so yes, these bullets are now very expensive.

By the way, if you order and you don't want yours moly coated, just tell them and they will oblige (not that there would be too many orders at these prices).

Regards.

C

Tags: