Go Back   The Hunter's Life > HUNTING FORUMS > SMALL GAME

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

The 410 & Small Game Hunting
Old 07-21-2006, 10:24 PM

buckshot roberts is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up The 410 & Small Game Hunting

There has been many a big debate over the 410 shotgun, like itís a good learner for little kidís, the kick want put them on there buttís, and it starts you out at being a good marksmen, or itís an expertís shotgun, I never grew up on a 410, my first shotgun was a Savage model 24 in 20 ga/.22, That was the gun I was to use for sometime, I just started using the 410 3 years ago when I got a winchester model 94-410 shotgun, and itís been a meat getter on squirrelís, and rabbitís, When I go bird hunting this fall, itís going along with the 12ga.
The 410 shotgunís are generally the lightest weight shotguns and kick least, So they are good for the person of small stature or very sensitive to recoil, depending on the load recoil is about 7- to 10 lbs. But still some hunters just donít like to use it, they say it a poor killer ,frequently wounds game, Dang that can be said about any shotgun, or rifle in the hands of a bad shot, You have to understand that the 2 Ĺ 410 shells contain less shot and the patterns are thin about 4" from my 94-410, itís not the 3 Ĺ " or a full choke model, as long as I keep it under 25 ft, Sheís brings home the meat. Iíve used Winchester high brass #4 ,#6 and # 7 Ĺ they best for my 410, Anyone know why 3/4 ounce shot was reduced to 11/16 ounce in the high brass 3" a few years back I read that they did buy donít know why, Ole squirrel season opens in 3 weeks, and Iíll be back out in the wood with my 410 shotgun.
There is a lot of 410 out on the market, mossberg and remington have two good model pump guns, out and new england has a fine single shot to name a few, you just can't beat a winchester model 37 best single shot ever made to me, good luck finding one.

The Ole 410 Sheís either a beginnerís or an experts gun. Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0486.jpg (30.8 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg rabbit.jpg (85.4 KB, 272 views)