The new Rem 798

Started by sakorick, July 14, 2006, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I looked at the new Mod798 on Remington's web site. It sure looks like a ZCZ to me. It is a mirror to my Whitworth. The Serbs have been making high quality actions for years so it true, Remington has a winner. Anybody have any additional info on these new rifles? Wow, the Mauser returns in the form of a Remington! MSRP is $599 with a laminate stock....a steal at hundreds more. I need to sell a few rifles so I can get one! I'll restock it with a beautiful Maple stock that I have and.....I'm babbling again.:D I think I need to join a therapy group!:rolleyes:  Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

azhdryder

It does solve the problem of magnum mauser actions for my trip to Africa, since Winchester isnt around to make the M70 African any longer.  Another FINE reason to keep Remington at the top of my favorite list:)
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Brithunter

Errrrrrr as far as I am aware Magnum Mauser actions have not really been a problem as CZ-Brno carried on making them :D. I am lucky in that some years back I picked up a Parker-Hale 1100M in .458WM which has a proper magnum trigger guard and magazine so it can easlily be re-barreled into any of the full magnum length catridges should it so be wished :D .

The barrel has a recoil lug about 4" in front of the recieve ring which is bedded into the stock and P-H weighted the stock to help control the recoil and it has a good set of fixed iron sights as well for close work ;)  all I had to do was lighten the trigger and fit a low saftey ( a P-H one) and it has a weaver K1 1/2 scope on it.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Quote from: BrithunterErrrrrrr as far as I am aware Magnum Mauser actions have not really been a problem as CZ-Brno carried on making them :D. I am lucky in that some years back I picked up a Parker-Hale 1100M in .458WM which has a proper magnum trigger guard and magazine so it can easlily be re-barreled into any of the full magnum length catridges should it so be wished :D .

The barrel has a recoil lug about 4" in front of the recieve ring which is bedded into the stock and P-H weighted the stock to help control the recoil and it has a good set of fixed iron sights as well for close work ;) all I had to do was lighten the trigger and fit a low saftey ( a P-H one) and it has a weaver K1 1/2 scope on it.

Hello BH. Well some of the older Zavodi's have that problem. The Mag on mine is on the short side. I'm sure Remington has fixed that problem. I know one thing for certain, I can't build a custom for that price. Shoot, The action, barrel and bolt will set you back 475 dollars! Then you need hardware, trigger, stock, butt pad, swivel posts, headspace checked, barrel installed.....oh dear oh dear, I've given myself a headache!!!:D Regards, Rick

tomme boy

A little expensive for a Charles Daly
Camanche, Iowa Ducks Unlimited Chapter #139 Commitee Member

2ndtimer

Quote from: tomme boyA little expensive for a Charles Daly

Come on, you know that Remington stamped on the side of the barrel adds at least $200 to the value.:rolleyes:

Brithunter

Hmmm as I understand it Daly is out of business and they never actually made anything just put their name on somone elses products :rolleyes: . Remington have not gone that way quite yet :p  and as regulars of this forum wel know I am no lover of Remingtons ;) . Also costs in Europe have been steadily rising so things exported will be more expensive plus you have the patriot act to thank for higher import costs as well :confused: :rolleyes: .

Now if these rifles are indeed from the same source as the Daly ones then they are Yugoslavian and not CZ which is in The Czech Republic, so they are the old Mark X Mausers, and that country and those rifles have an excellent reputation :p .

This re-naming of others products and selling them as your own seems to be a strange but comon thing in the US :confused:  Beeman has been doing it for years :rolleyes:  and does Weatherby actually make any of their rifles? :frown
Go Get them Floyd!

tomme boy

They are a Zastava gun. I hope Remington has upped the QC. These guns are not the same as the old Mark X's. Zastava's Customer support is non existant. They look real good on the outside, but, holes are drilled at angles and not straight with the bore. Lugs have been reported to shear off. I realize that every gun manufacterer can have problems, but the Zastava's had more than normal. Hopefully Remington has this worked out.
Camanche, Iowa Ducks Unlimited Chapter #139 Commitee Member

Brithunter

Quoteholes are drilled at angles and not straight with the bore. Lugs have been reported to shear off
[/COLOR]

Hmmm anyone know of verified occurances of this?

Zastavas are sold here in the UK and I have never heard of problems like this. The worse I have heard of is that the internal bolt ways were left slightly rough and could do with polishing :o  scope mounting holes out of alignment with the bore axis, which I am assuming tomme boy is refering to, are I am sorry to say not as uncommon as they should be :frown I am wondering just how squeeze Remington and the old Charles Daly outfit put on the prices with the manufacturer :rolleyes: if enough squeezing is going on perhaps some corners in quality may be the result :confused: .
Go Get them Floyd!

rockinbbar

I had an Interarms mini Mauser action in .223, that I suppose came from the same plant as the new Remington. The wood to metal was great, as well as the finish. The rifle was accurate to boot.
If it is representative of how they make the Remington, then I would buy one. :)

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Mauserfan in TX

The biggest problem Remington has is with their customer service, it also is practally non-existant.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

sakorick

To all Zastava naysayers.....first off they are not Charles Daly, secondly, this arms manufacturer in Belgrade has been making things to shoot since 1830, third, This plant has made more Mausers than any other manufacturer including hundreds of thousands M48's, fourth, their old steyr styled double set trigger actions were sensational and President Kennedy had them banned after the Cuban missile crises, fifth, these actions have always been sensational and probably will always be. You people need to do your homework ......look up Zavoni Crevna Zastava and do your homework before badmouthing something you obviously know little about. :frown Regards, Rick.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Rick and I are in the same camp as far as the Zastava's are concerned.  I have 2 of the C Daly barreled actions I purchased new (22-250 and 25-06)...but unfired as yet.  Workmanship is pretty OK with me...all commercial firearms need a little "tweakin" to suit my tastes.  I haven't seen any of the Remingtons as yet but if they are as good as the CD's..I will be a happy camper!:D

Just my 2 cents worth!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Tags: