RMNP fish pic

Started by Hunterbug, July 11, 2006, 09:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

I went up to RMNP last evening for a couple of hours. The Green Drakes were coming off but I did better with a #12 Elk Hair Caddis. This is the only decient picture with the digital camera. We got several others with the 35mm but they're not back yet. The weather on the drive home was horrible! Hail and very heavy rain but other than that it was a good trip.

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Hiker

Hunterbug

Thanx. It's a Greenback Cutthroat which is the Colorado state fish. The parkinglot is at about 8500 feet and we hiked a little over a mile in 30 minutes to about 9300 feet where we were fishing. Here's a picture of the creek.

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

M. R. Byrd

Hunterbug,
Great pics. Have you ever heard of a place called Hideway Park? There was a motel on the east side of the road called sometime like the Alpine Inn? Well come, August 1, my wife and I will have been married thirty-five years. We spent two nights at that motel on our honeymoon and did some fishing at the stream going into Lake Grandby.

The man that ran the motel collected railroad artifacts and when I commented on them he sent me to Denver over Rollins Pass in my Chevy Impala. That another story that I will have to tell you sometime. My wife just mentioned that the other day, about how scary that was. It kinda prepared her for our marriage, I guess??

Anyway, I'm a rambling, so better quit.

God Bless,
Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Hunterbug

I don't know where Hideaway park is but I have been up to Rollins Pass lots of times. A few years ago some people go tstuck up there is their van trying to cross it in November. Morons!

Niccolo Machiavelli

M. R. Byrd

HB,
Hideaway Park is now part of Winter Park. The road(?) going to Rollins Pass was just about a mile south of Hideaway Park, as I recall. I will have to get out some of the old photos and think about old times.

God Bless,
Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

buckshot roberts

:D Bug nice fish an pics  , My 1st wife an I stay'ed in a cabin around there with  I was a FT Carson, Man I miss that ole state, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Hunterbug

Thanx. Here's another fish. This pic didn't turn out so well but I didn't have help with it.

Niccolo Machiavelli

buckshot roberts

:D Bug  now that' s a good pic, what brand of fly rod is that , Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Hunterbug

Thanx, I wish that the coloring on the fish was better.

The rod is a 7 1/2ft Scott STS 3wt with a Ross Cimmeron reel and Cortland DT3F line. I wrapped the rod myself. It's charcoal grey with deep blue wraps and I love it. It's not as versitile as my 5wt but it's lighter, more responsive and  kick on these small streams.

Niccolo Machiavelli

buckshot roberts

:D Bug, Ya done a fine job on her, I have an old Mohawk fly rod I got down in the Springs years ago, not many spots around here where you can use it, but It's a joy to get it out, Ron

sakorick

Nice fish, Bug. When I was a kid we used to hike into upper Coney which is the headwaters of the S St Vrain at the base of Sawtooth Mtn. Buchanan pass trail head starts in the middle St Vrain trailhead. You need to find the Coney flats trailhead that cuts off from the MSV somewhere. The last time I was up there was in 1964 so I'm sure that it has changed alot. Upper Coney sits about a mile up from Coney. There wasn't a trail back then, however, stay on the south side of the creek and whatever you do, stay out of the "wait-a-while" bushes.

In the old days the cuts ran from 2 to 6 pounds with an occasional 8 pounder. Fish with # 18/20 Adams or the 18 Yellow bodied Grey (wet). I too own a Ross Cimmaron and have a Phillipson Split bamboo circa 1965 a Fenwick 7 footer and various new graphite 8 1/2, 9 foot jobs that I Bass fish with.

Find upper Coney. Do not waste your time at the lower lake cause most people are tired and Lower Coney looks so good they just stop there! You can fish it til mid September then turn out the lights.

Gourd lake sits on the West side of Buchanan but you have to get to it from the Granby side ( Monarch L Trailhead)/ Buchanan Pass. Plan on spending the night at Gourd as it's a long haul. The fishing, however, is terrific.

Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

Thanx for the tip Rick. I'll have to get the maps out and find it so I can post an updated report.

Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Quote from: HunterbugThanx for the tip Rick. I'll have to get the maps out and find it so I can post an updated report.

Hello Bug. Dad was born and raised in Sugarloaf in a small house near the Switzerland Trail of America....the old Boulder-Ward and Lyons narrow gague.....a goldminer's son. He and his two brothers knew every trout hole within 60 miles. I started fishing on the Carribou Ranch AKA Barnes Ranch when I was 6 years old. Dad taught me how to sneak up on the brookies. Hands and knees then crawl the last 20 feet or so then the presentation ....soft quiet no wasted motion....then wham....another brookie flopping in the grass. God, I still remember those days like it was yesterday. 7 miles into Coney and you had to be 12 years old to go. I had a steel telescope rod with an old fly reel. Dad would fix me up with a fly and weighted, clear, water filled bobber and I would strip out about 30 yards of line and let her fly.....I sure miss him. Thanks for the post and rekindling old memories. Shoot, I'm crying like a baby. Got to run ...later and regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: