shotguns & coyotes.

Started by tquiet1, July 01, 2006, 04:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tquiet1

What is the minimum shell to be used for eastern coyotes ?

Daryl (deceased)

Any of the buckshot loads will work fine.

I don't use a shotgun much, prefering something like a .17 Rem, but I'd probably use #4 buckshot if I had to use the shotgun.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

tquiet1

Thank you Daryl.I'm hoping to thin the population a little @ dawn tommorow morning.Will have to pick up a 243 or something for deer & coyotes,any sugestions ?

rockinbbar

Stevens 200....Best value on the market in an accurate centerfire rifle now.
I got mine in .243. It shoots really well, & topped of with a 3-9x40 Leupold scope, holds zero excellent...;)
I got the rifle new for $300

I painted the stock myself, it was grey from the factory.

Shoots 95 gr Ballistic Silvertips @ 3000fps MV, groups sub-moa.

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

tquiet1

Thanks for the info rockinbbar,that's in my price range,bye the way nice paint job.Much better than draping cammo cloth over it,like I'm doing.
                                tquiet1.

Gmoney

Sweet!! Another excuse to talk about shooting varmints.....:p

Actually just got done shooting about 15 greys tonight, boy were they moving....Got 3 before dark on video....hehe!!

I, like Daryl prefer #4 buck and even some stout BBB goose loads out of a full choke over the larger diameter buckshot (0,00,and 000 buck)......

Daryl, bet you'd love a shotgun in the stuff I hunt them in......:)

Ditto on Barry for a .243 in the killing dept...22 centerfires would do the trick as well but for extermination purposes, as in your case, his recommended gun/caliber is great for just literally bang/flop everytime.....

On a side note, funny you mention your .243 Barry, I almost did something stupid yesterday..:D ....I had a chance to buy a Savage 110 with an upgraded stock, (nice looking salt and pepper stock) for 250 bucks with mounts and rings in .243.....

Yikes I was close.....kicking myself right now, even though I "don't need it".....:p :D
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

rockinbbar

Greg!

Havn't you learned that you always NEED a new gun...?? :D

Better enjoy that latitude while you are still single..;)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Greg,

You're likely right about the shotgun, but out here in the open country I much prefer a rifle.

Sometimes a buddy of mine carries a 12 gauge pump, and I carry a rifle.  It's a deadly combo, that's for sure!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hunterbug

My question is when did "need" ever enter the picture? You might also look around at the local pawn shops. If you are gun savy you can get some screaming deals.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Gmoney

Not to hijack your thread here tguiet, but guys, I KNOW....:)....

Daryl, I figured that was why you prefer a rifle, buckshot is not very effective when you shoot across the desert floor at who knows how far....:)...

On the other hand last night/evening we were calling in an area last night where if we were going to see anything they would have to get within 20 yards.....well we did and we didn't even have a rifle out, it's just no good ....wish I could show ya'll guys some video!!

Barry, you know what's sad.....my dad told me the EXACT same thing yesterday!!!  

HB, need never has entered the picture....I put that in quotes above for a reason..;)....

Have a good 4th guys....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

buckshot roberts

;) I've shoot them with a 38 super, .300 savage an  the last one was with a 410 slug,:frown wife got very mad over the last one ask me never to shoot from inside the house at 4 am or any other time, :D
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

tquiet1

Hey Greg,

Sounds like a great combo,shotgun is all I have right now,will have to invest in a 243 or something,coyote & deer gun.I am thinking about combo,12ga/243.Any ideas on this choice.
                     tqueit1

Gmoney

I personally am not a fan of combo guns....trying to have them both at one place takes away from both their effectiveness IMHO......
-Greg

Tags: