Newbie with CVA Bobcat - and/or TC Renegade

Started by flyer, June 05, 2006, 02:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyer

Howdy folks,
I am a complete newbie to BP and I just bought a used Bobcat off the internet. It was cheap, and I just felt the urge to try something new.

I have been around hunting and firearms for almost 50 years, but other than an afternoon playing with a friend's flintlock about 30 years ago, and an impulse buy of a flintlock pistol, and Remington cap and ball (kit guns) about 20 yrs ago, I have not had much experience with BP.

I haven't even seen the Bobcat yet because it has not been shipped by the seller yet. In the meantime, I have found a couple of TC Renegades that look interesting, and I am resisting (with some struggle) a desire to buy one of them as well.

Even though I don't have a clue about what I am doing in the muzzeloading world at this point I feel the urge to acquire more! :eek:

Anyway, for now I would appreciate opinions/suggestion on the questions below:

1) One of the TC's has a single and the other is a double; is there any advantage to a double trigger over a single trigger.

2) What is a reasonable price for a decent Renegade? One of them can be had for $150 (single trigger) the other (double trigger, but not as good condition) for $100.

3) What would be 'must have' accessories (other than powder/ball/caps) for a newbie BP shooter? I don't plan to do anything other than shoot at the moment. Might get into matches or other events later, and a good likelihood I'll want to go BP hunting in the fall, but in the short term, just want to play with a muzzle loader.

4) Anything else you experienced BP shooters care to provide in the way of information, publications or websites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers
Kerry

quigleysharps4570

Welcome flyer. Those set triggers have me spoiled. Can set it as light as you like.
Accessories...powder horn or flask, powder measure, capper and nipple wrench are a good start. Having a possibles bag to keep the stuff in is nice. A good cleaning kit with patch puller, bullet puller, jag and brush. Be a good start.

flyer

Quigley, thanks for the suggestions for accessories. Sounds like good things to have.

Do you know if a single trigger can be replaced with a double trigger?

quigleysharps4570

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: flyerDo you know if a single trigger can be replaced with a double trigger?

Hmmmm... it's obvious that and particular modification can be done to just about any type of firearm... if you are willing to pay the price.

First I should say that I prefer single trigger firearms to double triggers (set triggers).  I should also state that, most times, the rear trigger can be pulled far enough rearward to disengage the sear on the lock.  It's usually a long pull but single set, double pulls work that way.

Another little bit of information is that set trigger systems almost demand that there be a 'fly' on the tumber so as to not chip the lock sear or the lip of the tumbler engagement notch.

However, for factory firearms, there just may be a double set trigger available.  I don't usually see a single set on factory firearms but that might be available as well.

Track of the Wolf just might have some aftermarket products for your firearm and the are awfully helpful folks:  http://www.trackofthewolf.com/
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Smokepole

flyer,
Just to add a little to your additional components. I'm sure everyone here at one time or another has dry-balled a load, loading the patch and ball but forgot to use powder, so something to add to your list of supplies would be either a ram rod puller or a C02 discharger. I carry the C02 unit in my bag.

Also you might consider getting some cigarette rolling paper (i.e. Zig Zag). This comes in handy when your are trying to find the perfect load combination. Once you decide on a powder charge i.e. 70 grs FF, and ball diameter (.490), you will need to adjust your patch thickness. Using the old standby of 0.015 thick patch, you would fire 3-5 shots to determine how tight the pattern. You use single sheets of the "cig paper" between the ball and the cloth patch each time repeating the process. There will come a time when the patteren will tighten up. Now you can measure the cloth patch and the extra paper to find the desired patch thickness. It is much cheaper than buying and trying all the possible patch thicknesses.

I usually start my patterning at 12 yds. Much easier to see the results without extra walking or equipment. After I'm happy at 12 yds, I move to 25 yds, then 50 yds, 75 yds and finally 100 yds. At first I never worry about where the pattern is located as long as its on paper because I'm originally looking for repeatability not accuracy. Lastly I would adjust my zero at my nominal shooting range, 75 yds. Now I have a good pattern and the accuracy I want.

drinksgin (deceased)

I have had a Bobcat for several years, caught one on closeout for $45 plus shipping.
Mine has a 1/48" twist barrel, this is a compromise twist, will do ok with patched ball and is also ok with the short and medium conicals.
I use Lee REAL in both weights, 250 and 320gr with Lee liquid alox or LBT soft blue lube, but I use 777, not smellie ol BP.
2 1/2" 50 yd groups are easy enough , since I put a silver bead on the VERY thin front blade sight.
A lot of fun for the money and several people have reported dropping deer with no problems.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

bigblock455skylarkcustom

Get the double triggered TC renegade. i owned a single trigger renegade and it was a great shooting gun out to 100yards but i just didnt like the heavy trigger pull. The TC for $100 is a great deal, even if you have to take it apart and redo the stock finish. My brother and i redid his cva hawkens and it looks awesome now. We even browned the barrel and added a german silver front sight with and adjustable rear sight. Great shooting gun. I also own a bobcat and can tell you right now. That tc renegade will out shoot that bobcat on its own. If you have a picture of the TC, post them and we will tell you if its worth the $$$ or not. I sold  one that was in great shape for way under price of what it was worth. $275 with a new custom recoil pad and i updated to fiber optic sights... But trust me, get the TC!
Jon

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

bigblock455skylarkcustom

why does everyone call real blackpowder stinky? i use goex BP and it only smells when i pour my cleaning solution down the barrel. Pyrodex and the 777 powder smell like eggs when its set off and when you have to clean it. I also find that pyrodex fouls up the barrel a lot sooner.

drinksgin (deceased)

BB;
Never tried Goex, I still have some 40 year old Dupont, the reason I went off ml's for a number of years was the smell.
Pyrodex was better and 777 is much better on smell, 777 is much better on reducing fouling than either BP or Pyrodex, in my experience.
I just would not shoot a ML if I had to use BP.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Skip

I have had a TC Renegade for so many years I can't remember when I bought it. Chose the rifle over others as it was about the only one without the flashy brass on it. The single trigger was an aftermarket item, mine looks like it was just a double with the set trigger removed. Looked in my junk drawer for the double trigger I took off when I went to a single. No luck so far finding it. I prefer the single for hunting..gives me much needed room for my gloved trigger finger. The stock of my Renegade was a bit short for me so I added a recoil pad to it. Unlike Jay, I am not a traditionalist when it comes to Blackpowder, although I do cast my own bullets for it and my BP pistol.

Tags: