Daughter Shot And Missed

Started by knuckledragger, November 12, 2004, 12:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuckledragger

Well, last light yesterday PM, we had a doe come in on the food plot we were watching.  My 13 y/o took a shot and missed, about 60 yds. She had to reach around me to do it and had her elbow against my shoulder.  The little darling was just shaking with excitement.  It was an awkward shot in low light with iron sights, she's pretty bummed out.  We spent an hour or so looking for blood or hair or any indication of a hit, she understands now that you cant just shrug it off and go home.  You owe it to whatever critter you're hunting.  

We'll go spend some more time on the range, maybe even shooting near sunset to simulate last nights conditions.  One of the lessons is with iron sights, you just might have to call it quits before you would if you were using a scope.  

The property will be heavily hunted until after Thanksgiving, so she'll have time to practice.  She wanted to put a scope on, but I wont budge on that.  This is how she'll develop good marksmanship skills, then she can graduate to whatever optics she prefers.

KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

Antler3

Well bless her little heart...Glad she got to take the shot though. It will be a memory that will last a lifetime. Tell her to not give up and that she will get her deer. Seasoned hunters miss too. I have missed my share...and I too shoot with iron sights. I use a winchester model 94 30 - 30. I just came in from sighting mine and missed the target by 6 inches !!! Lowered the back sight and got it pretty close. Tell that little darling I'm rooting for her  and to practice practice practice.

Good luck to ya'll  and hope you have a successful season !!!
ANTLER 3

RatherBHuntin

On the bright side, at least it was a clean miss and that doe just might be back on another day.  I hope she didn't get too disappointed over the experiance, and that she wants to go back out.  It probably just whet her appetite for hunting.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Jay Edward (deceased)

A great experience KD...and I love the 'follow up'.  My little girl got almost all the jitters out hunting ground squirrels.  Her first shot was as good as I wanted and the buck gave up the ghost pretty quick.

I sure hope your little hunting buddy keeps at it and gets rewarded for her persistence.

knuckledragger

I ordered her a 20 gauge bbl for the T/C so she can hunt on base (no rifles for hunting).  She's disappointed about missing but not discouraged, she'll do fine.  The more she does it, the more she'll be able to control her excitement and the shot.  Still a long season ahead of us with plenty of opportunity.

KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

Tags: