Daniel Boone's "Rifle"

Started by Stryker, May 21, 2006, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stryker

I had the chance to visit Frankfort this past week chaperoning my daughter's 4th grade field trip. It had been some time since I had been there, but was looking forward to seeing the new Kentucky Historical Society's museum. When I was there as a kid, they had a rifle that the display plaques said belonged to Daniel Boone. Some years later an author, Joe Nickell, wrote a book called Ambrose Bierce is missing and other historical mysteries. One of the chapters is dedicated to several items purported to have belonged to Daniel Boone. The following is an excerpt from that chapter dealing with the rifle on display on Frankfort.

Among the best known of the "D.B" carvings is that on the stock of a rifle in the museum of the Kentucky Historical Society. That the initials are supposed to refer to the famous Kentuckian is clear from the inscription carved on the other side: "BooNs bESt FREN."

The inscription implies this was Boone's favorite rifle, whereas Boone reportedly referred to his trusty firearm as "Old Tick-Licker." He would not have carved "FREN" in any case: Rather, he spelled the word with the final "d," as in a letter to his sister-in-law in which he sent his affection to "all my frends." The possessive form of his name is also wrong since he retained the final "e" there as well. For example, in a survey document in his handwriting he referred to "said Boones SW corner."

Cut into the gunstock are also 15 notches – "for Indians shot," according to the man who sold the rifle to the historical society at the turn of the century. But Kentucky historian Winston Coleman stated, "I seriously doubt that Boone put the notches there. In the first place, those people thought to much of their guns to mutilate them." Another historian, Bayless Hardin, agreed: It seems the custom of notching a pistol or rifle originated out West during "the Buffalo Bill era."

Museum records inform that the rifle was acquired by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in 1904 from "Prof. Gilbert Walden." No doubt that title "Professor" conjures up visions of a venerable historian, possibly even a Boone expert. Actually, a somewhat different impression comes from Walden's letter to the Governor of Kentucky in 1900. The bold letterhead reads: "CULTURE. ORATORY. PATRIOTISM. STORY. AND. SONG. AMERICA"S FAMOUS ELOCUTIONIST." Below, in large ornate letters is: "Gilbert Walden, Washington, D.C., Virginia, Texas and Oklahoma." "Professor" Walden's Photo dominates the letterhead. It shows him seated, dressed in western attire, with a rifle balanced on his knee and a pistol stuck in his belt. In bold letters is this additional list of his talents: "Noted Cow-Boy Orator, Rough Rider, Scholar and Rifle Shot."

In a sprawling hand, the self-described "Scholar and Rifle Shot" wrote of the rifle.

It is about 140 years old, and was made for Boone by a famous gunsmith from N.C., named Graham, who lived on the Elkhorn in Ky., and made guns for many years after the Pioneers had moved away or died. I got it through the kindness of Dr. Percy de Bonay, of Tallulah Falls, Ga., who had gotten it from a gentleman in Louisville and who had found it through a newspaper article in a country paper in N.E. Kentucky.
It was given to an old trapper and friend of Boone named Dedman and kept in a mountaineer family for years. For a long time it was hidden away in an old closet until found. The people were nice and intelligent who had it, but poor, and they sold it to a Col. Ellis (I think) of Louisville and a friend of Dr. de Bonay's.

If the rifle was indeed made when Walden claimed – circa 1760 – it would be most unlikely to have actually belonged to Daniel Boone. That is because Boone's rifles, as well as his other possessions and those of his companions, were confiscated by the men's Indian captors in late 1769. The only weapon the men were allowed to take with them on their release was a small "trading gun."

Another problem with Walden's story concerns his mention of the "newspaper article in a country paper in NE Kentucky." We found a photocopy of what must be the same old clipping in the files of the Kentucky Military History Museum. It is unidentified and undated and quotes an anonymous "gentleman from Eastern Kentucky." The man (who refers to himself with the royal "we") stated that he had an old rifle which was "said to have been" owned by Daniel Boone. He mentioned the 15 notches and the "rude letters: BoONEs bEst FRIN." But the anonymous gentleman gave a notably different record of the rifle's prior ownership.

The point here is not that "Professor" Walden intended to be deceptive in this regard. (After all, it was probably he who supplied the old clipping.) Rather, it is merely to show that the alleged provenance is even more tortuous and uncertain and unverifiable than has heretofore been reported.

In short, the gun's provenance is confused and suspect, and the inscription is fraudulent. As forgery expert Charles Hamilton told us, shortly after he had exposed the "Hitler Diaries" as spurious on the basis of the handwriting, "I think the Kentucky Historical Society has a lot of nerve to display a remark [i.e., "BooNs bESt FREN"] that even from this distance I can spy as a fake."

In addition to this damning evidence, during our investigation we repeatedly heard doubts expressed about the rifle's antiquity. These came from a number of knowledgeable persons. A long-rifle expert who had once thoroughly examined the rifle branded it an obvious fake, and a collector of antique firearms agreed the rifle is of doubtful authenticity on stylistic grounds.

Such expressions persuaded us to contact an independent expert, and we asked for a recommendation from Henry J. Kauffman of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, author of the important text, The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle (1960). Since the rifle in question was alleged to have come from North Carolina, Mr. Kauffman suggested we contact John Bivins of the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, who readily agreed to assist us in our investigation.

In a subsequent letter, Mr. Bivins wrote:
Matters of Provenance are certainly important to us in studying any material culture, but we certainly can't overlook the documentation provided by an object itself. Matters of style, technology, and social custom can speak as powerfully as the documented history of an object, and the case of the "Boon" rifle, they speak clearly enough to provide us with more information than the history of ownership does.
To be as succinct as possible, I believe that it is generally understood among students of the American long rifle who are familiar with this particular weapon that the piece is exceedingly unlikely to have enjoyed actual ownership by Daniel Boone. That is certainly my opinion.
He Continued:

The rifle is a southern Appalachian type, showing in it's architecture (shaping of the stock), form of the iron mounts (particularly the trigger guard) and the use of a bone heel plate at the butt a combination of details typical of the mountain areas of NW Georgia, Western South Carolina and SW North Carolina. The style of the stock, most particularly the thickness of the butt and the shaping of the wrist area, indicates a probable date range of 1820-30, and this is reinforced by the style of the rifles lock.

Citing the tendency of pre-1800 American rifles to show "a good deal more of the Baroque heritage of European gunstock design." Mr. Bivins stated: "stocks were more robustly shaped, and butt plates were significantly wider. Rifles of the Pre-Revolutionary period often have a butt plate 2" in width or more." He added, "Every aspect of the style of the 'Boon' rifle clearly points to a later period.

In conclusion Mr. Bivins stated that, while Boone undoubtedly had owned a number of long rifles, "I most emphatically do no believe 'Boons best fren' to be one of them." He added: "It could not have been made earlier than the year of Boone's death, and for that matter I don't believe Boone would have so wretchedly defaced the stock of a rifle in such a manner. I have never seen any long rifle so treated other than a few that had been decorated by plains Indians. In addition, we have no evidence of a gun maker by the name of Graham."

Notice in the photos, the state no longer makes the claim it belonged to Daniel Boone. If any one is interested, the white item near the end of the rifle was said to be a plaster cast of Daniel Boone's skull when his remains where re-interred in Frankfort in 1845. No such record of anyone making the cast officially exists. The notches, mentioned in the article, are located to the front of the rifle's lock. Also, note the Indian carving with the western plains style headdress. The Shawnee and Cherokee of Daniels day would have been more apt to wear a turban. Even those this rifle wasn't Daniel Boones, it still interesting to see a rifle from the early 1800's.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Skip

Hunterbug

That's a great post. Thanx for sharing!
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

buckshot roberts

:D Stryker thanks for the post, Next time i'm in lexington I need to drive on over an see it, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

And why, exactly, would a partial cast of Daniel Boone's cranium have any relevance? Sheesh! I'm not very positively impressed with this museum. Thanks for the info.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Gmoney

Not impressed with the "partial cast" rather than the "whole cast"? Or not impressed because the museum had a cast of Daniel Boone's skull on display at all?

Whatever the reason may be that the partial cast skull is there, I bet their intentions were good for trying to give the public a display where they might enjoy the historical value and learn something....

Thanks for posting Stryker, enjoyed the read....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: gitanoAnd why, exactly, would a partial cast of Daniel Boone's cranium have any relevance?  Paul

I believe it was another item created by Da Vinci as a code to indicate 'skull duggery' Paul.  It turns out that Boone may well have been a female.  There is a secret guarded by the Priory Of Sion that Boone actually sashayed into Kaintuck.

Thanks for the post Stryker.  Very interesting indeed!
[/SIZE]

gitano

Quote from: GmoneyNot impressed with the "partial cast" rather than the "whole cast"? Or not impressed because the museum had a cast of Daniel Boone's skull on display at all? Both. First, what's a cast of a man's skull got to do with a display of rifles he may have used? Second, why wasn't a whole cast made? Most likely because they weren't skilled enough to do the difficult part. So, let's just show what we've got. It'll get some paying sucker in. Finally, would you want a cast of your skull used to draw people into a museum of your stuff? What relevancy does someone's skull have to what they did in their life? Unless of course you're a proponent of phrenology, or it had a tomahawk buried in it.

Whatever the reason may be that the partial cast skull is there, I bet their intentions were good for trying to give the public a display where they might enjoy the historical value and learn something.... And exactly what are we learning from a partial cast of Dan'l Boone's skull? I'm all ears.

Thanks for posting Stryker, enjoyed the read....

I dunno Jay - I heard Dan'l Boone was "gay". Wasn't everybody that ever did anything noteworthy?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

:D Stryker , I'd like to say thanks for the post, I'm not running over your post  but i would like to post this, Ron

Boone's Bones Brouhaha

Frankfort, Kentucky; Defiance, Missouri

Frankfort grave marker detail.Daniel Boone is hardly a folk hero superstar -- in fact, a lot of people get him confused with Davy Crockett -- but he's been popular enough over the years to merit a Hollywood movie, a lunch box, and a postage stamp. And one thing is certain about folk heroes, even second-stringers: Everybody wants their old bones.
Oklahoma, for example, dug Will Rogers out of California's Forest Lawn Cemetery and buried him in their own memorial park. South Dakota, not content with its Crazy Horse ubermemorial, stole Sitting Bull's bones from North Dakota and reinterred them on their own soil. Even "Mad" Anthony Wayne, an Indian-fighter and a popular subject of pre-interstate monuments, was yanked from his Erie, PA, grave by his son, who boiled the flesh off of the corpse and headed for home (Paoli, PA) with the bones in a bag. Then the bags were stolen. Who knows where Mad Anthony is today?

Defiance's Boone grave.Daniel Boone has suffered similar body-snatching shenanigans but with a twist: He appears to have ended up in two graves.

Everyone agrees that Boone died at his son's home near Defiance, Missouri, in 1820. Everyone also agrees that he was buried nearby in Marthasville (about 14 mi. west), near the grave of his wife, Rebecca. But then the story gets muddled. The folks in Frankfort, Kentucky, would have you believe that Rebecca and Daniel were exhumed 25 years later and reinterred in Frankfort Cemetery. The marker near Defiance mentions the reinterment, but...

According to Defiance, Frankfort dug up the wrong body. The grave next to Rebecca's was already occupied when Daniel died, they say, so he was buried at her feet. Daniel's relatives were angry at Frankfort and didn't tell them about his true burial plot. They let Frankfort cart away the body next to Rebecca's, the body of a stranger.

Frankfort's Boone grave.
Scientific scrutiny seems to support Defiance's claims. A forensic anthropologist studied a plaster cast of the skull in Frankfort's "Daniel Boone" grave in 1983 and said that it really belonged to a large black man. Frankfort, of course, pooh-poohed those allegations. Both graves have worthy monuments. Frankfort's is bigger (that was, ostensibly, the reason for the move in the first place) but it's in a big cemetery and must share its surroundings with other dead people. The memorial near Defiance is out by itself, and it's worth remembering that Daniel Boone's own reason for leaving Kentucky was that it was "too crowded." We say, since the marker is all you get to see anyway, it's a toss-up. Daniel Boone is buried in the spot easiest for you to get to on your next trip.
Case closed.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Stryker

I'm glad the post was enjoyed. It certainly took a different path than what I thought it would. Thanks for the follow-up Ron. I grew up with the rumors that it's not old Boone in Frankfort as well. Knowing how Daniel felt about Kentucky, I wish they would have left him in Missouri. That said, I believe he is buried in Frankfort for the following reasons.

1. I have never been able to document a case where a loved one was buried at the foot of someone else. The only time I ever hear it mentioned is in this case.

2. From a historical viewpoint, this is a family cemetary in 1820 Missouri we're talking about. I doubt a black man would have been buried there, let alone next to a white woman.

My two cents

Mark
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

gitano

I was rereading this thread and it occurred to me that I can off a bit "harsher" that was my intent. For that, I would apologize.

My INTENT was to point out that lots of people actually start "museums" SOLELY for the purpose of separating people from their money and that "artifacts" (rarely FACTUALLY authenticated) are used to draw people in and in turn, once in, they will likely part with some of their money. A partial skull cast seems to be exactly just that sort of "artifact". I'm trying to fathom what one is supposed to gain with respect to ANYTHING about Daniel Boone from a cast of his skull. Even if there was nothing about his guns and the presentation was just about his life history, what possible value - other than a desire for the macabre - could a cast - partial or whole - have except to "get people in" to the museum.

Anyway, apologies to Stryker (Mark) for coming on too strong on a side issue.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: