First Mauser done!!!

Started by sakorick, April 06, 2006, 05:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Well after 4 months the first Scruggs Mauser is done! This was a model 98 on a Fagen stock that was in real poor condition.....but it shot like crazy! I rebeded and refinished the stock.....Simpson did the checkering....Competetive Edge checked the Head space and I did the rest. I wished now that I would have done some "before" pictures. I have my last Leupold VXII with a Leopold base and rings. It's a beauty and with a 19 inch barrel is very very accurate. What better Elk rifle would anyone need? Guys, to build a rifle like this costs alot of time....time well spent for me. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

sakorick

Jeepers, I almost forgot....I put a Mun Ebony Forend and grip cap on this thing.

M1Garand

She's a beauty that's for sure...what caliber?

rockinbbar

Great job, Rick!

Nice wood too....
What caliber? :D
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

bowhunter1

sweeeeeeeet piece of hardware

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: sakorickJeepers, I almost forgot....I put a Mun Ebony Forend and grip cap on this thing.
First & foremost..........that is one fine looking firearm....better than fine..OUTSTANDING................BUT!!:confused:

Are you absolutely positive that is an EBONY fore-end tip? All the ebony I have ever seen is BLACK. Looks like Rosewood to me. My comments are not meant as any criticism..just wondering, amigo!

BTW..........what caliber?

Ol' John:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Hunterbug

Is it still 8X57 or is it 8mm-06? That's a nice looking rifle.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Hmm Rick,

I second Johns' comment of the foreend tip, looks very much like Rose wood to me also!

Nice rife my friend!!!!!!!!!
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

It's an 8mm with the original stepped barrel, 19 inches. The entire rifle with the scope and mounts weighs 8.2 pounds. The forend and grip accents are Mun Ebony a variety with red, green and brown streaks. The left side is very dark and the right side had the nice flavors. Here is a pic of the Mun Ebony in the raw. I get the blocks from a guy named Dwain Coats in Arkansas. PM me if you want his email. The test load was 175 gr Pro Hunters with 4064(what else!) w/ a MV of 2660. Very mild recoil and enjoyable to shoot. Thanks all for the kind words. Regards, Rick.

buckshot roberts

:D  Sakorick, thats a good job ya done;)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

Nice work and nice shooting, Rick!

Maybe those of you thinking the gripcap and forend weren't ebony aren't considering the different species of ebony. The "black" ebony, known mostly for its use in clarinets and piano keys (and turn-of-the-century firarms) is Macassar ebony, Diospyros celebica. It came from the Celebes originally. However, there are other species of ebony, one of which is "Mun" ebony D. mun, which is provided commercially from Laos mostly. No ebonies are solid or pure black. Even Macassar ebony has considerable figure. It's only the heart-wood that is pure black. This form of figured ebony is showing up as trim more and more in firearms as the black heartwood of Macassar ebony gets scarcer and scarcer. It is interesting to note that the advent of using "black" ebony was caused by the growing scarcity of cape buffalo horn Syncerus caffer at the turn of the 20th  century. The growing scarcity of macassar ebony has lead to the use (widespread) of other woods like Mun ebony, rosewood (there are several species Dalbergia sp. here too), wenge (Millettia laurentii), and other exotics. They all look good to me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

By golly, in addition to being a rifle aficionado, Paul is also a Dendrologist! I really like the colors in the Mun variety. I have also used red curly Bubinga and have a Burl Afzelia project ongoing. Regards, Rick.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: gitanoNice work and nice shooting, Rick!

Maybe those of you thinking the gripcap and forend weren't ebony aren't considering the different species of ebony. The "black" ebony, known mostly for its use in clarinets and piano keys (and turn-of-the-century firarms) is Macassar ebony, Diospyros celebica. It came from the Celebes originally. However, there are other species of ebony, one of which is "Mun" ebony D. mun, which is provided commercially from Laos mostly. No ebonies are solid or pure black. Even Macassar ebony has considerable figure. It's only the heart-wood that is pure black. This form of figured ebony is showing up as trim more and more in firearms as the black heartwood of Macassar ebony gets scarcer and scarcer. It is interesting to note that the advent of using "black" ebony was caused by the growing scarcity of cape buffalo horn Syncerus caffer at the turn of the 20th century. The growing scarcity of macassar ebony has lead to the use (widespread) of other woods like Mun ebony, rosewood (there are several species Dalbergia sp. here too), wenge (Millettia laurentii), and other exotics. They all look good to me.

Paul
PIC'S PLEASE................................:D

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

gitano

Her are a few of D. celebica and D. mun. You;ll notice that there is little difference until you see the heart-wood of celebica. Only the far right picture is D. mun.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Gmoney

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Tags: