Knives - Straight? Or Drop Point?

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), March 25, 2006, 06:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

I don't know about the rest of you but I prefer the straight blades almost exclusively.  Drop point blades just don't look good to me and I do not care for clipped point either.  Where I do have one or two LARGE clip point knives... the 'clip' is as razor sharp as the blade.

RatherBHuntin

Whatever type of blade this one is, I like it.  Is it a clipped drop point?

Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: RatherBHuntinWhatever type of blade this one is, I like it.  Is it a clipped drop point?
In some circles that is called a 'roach belly', some times it is called a 'skinning knife' due to the curve which allows a rocking motion.  It is a good looking knife.

Here is an image of a Damascus Bowie with a 'clipped' blade.  Most folks do not sharpen the 'clipped' portion but I prefer to do so
[/size]

gitano

I'm not too particular about drop-point vs straight, but if push came to shove, I'd probably pick the straight.

The older I have gotten, the smaller the knife I prefer. I can make quick work of things with a small knife, whereas I find myself having to be more cautious with a longer blade. Nowadays, either my Leatherman does what's necessary, or a two-bladed Case takes care of everything from fox to moose. Scalping is done in the field with the Case, and I use a small paring knife to flesh the scalp and turn the ears, lips and toes, back in camp or at home.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

quigleysharps4570

Looks like I'm the odd duck...I like a drop point.

bowhunter 51

Drop-point..........better for hog-stick'n.......Seems like it's got less resistance..
Doesn't interfere with sharpening.........I like the look.................
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Skip

I like the drop points myself especially when reaching up into the chest cavity of a deer or elk to sever the windpipe. I can put my index finger on the top edge of the blade and "know" exactly where the blade is at all times.  I favor the shorter length blades in my knives.

buckshot roberts

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Alboy

Do not have one now but I have also used and liked a "Tanto". For skinning I liked the short working tip, easily resharpened with out dealing with whole knife.

Steel on mine was not good at holding an edge so it went down the road with a little buddy in need of a camp knife in the pasture out back.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Noyb72

Not to sound esoteric, but I prefer a knife rith a "flat" ot slighttly dropped clip point. The advantage of a clip piont is the long cutting plane and the fine point. A sheepsfoot provides the longest cutting plane but has a serious issue with piercing anything. To get a drop point to have the fine point of a clip basically turns the knife into a dagger and removes any depth or "belly" to the blade. However, I find little use for the concave arc of the top of the clip, I prefer to fill that arc with meatal to increase rigidity and surface area. If the area actually bulges to convex slightly, so much the better. This allows me to follow Skips example and roll my index finger over the spine, which is what all that file work on knike spines is fore, preventing your finger from slipping. This is for a "general" field knife. For specific aplications, each knife design has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Ron

Inukshuk

All my skinning knives are drop point. Simply won't snag the meat. Just slides better under the fur. maximum blade length 4". I only use one knife for a complete skinning and butchering.
To Go Where No Man Has Gone Before
Live Long And Prosper

Brithunter

Hi All,

Whilst I do prefer a drop point blade for most use for skinning I have a special skinner :-

that works very well :) .

I fixed blade knife is recommended for stalking here in the UK so I brought this Boker :-

that has a rubber type handle however I always liked stag horn scales and while searching for one that I liked in my price range I brought this old carbon steel knife off E-Bay:- r

which is a Wade & Butcher "Boone" and takes a wonderful edge. At the moment its' in Scotland having a new sheath made as the original has rather passed it's sell by date.

Then one day while in my local gunshop I saw this in the display case:-

it's another Boker and it has the stage scales and because of it's size and shape it fits rather nicely in the knife pocket in my hunting trousers.

I also carry a Buck Cross Lock either on my belt or in my day pack.
Go Get them Floyd!

Inukshuk

Drop drop drop dropppp point. Much easier to skin and no snagging.
I love knives and I'll have to look for a new one to add. Darn!
To Go Where No Man Has Gone Before
Live Long And Prosper

Paul Hoskins

I'm with Gitano on this. I've carried a pocket knife since I was a kid and they have done everything I need a knife for. I have all sorts of knives but the pocket knife gets the duty most. I use it for everything from cutting off a chew of tobacco to working a bear or deer over. For some things I like a short stout blade. I don't care much for stainless but have several dozen of them. Just bought a new FROST fixed blade for heavy work recently. It's stainless tho. Got it home and find out Frost is owned by Hispanics now and the fine print on the blade says China. Really ticks me off. ..........I carried the old Case in the pic over 50 years. The scales are worn smooth. I retired it and carry the Kissing Crane sodbuster all the time now. ...........Paul H

Tags: