Heavy barrel vs Standard Barrel

Started by varmint hunter, March 22, 2006, 02:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

varmint hunter

Tell me whats the main differences with heavy vs standard barrels. Is there any accuracy differences? Or is it just that when doing some sit down shooting you are able to steady a heavy barrel more, and also when shooting multiple shots (eg 3 in a row) the heavy barrel will have a better accuracy over this successive shots.

bigboar

Good day Varmit hunter. I am not going to say that what I am about to say is the true gospel, but I will tell you what I have understood to be the reason for the bull [ Heavey] barrel on a rifle. The weight factor does come into play on helping to steady your shot placement. It also helps to reduce recoil on larger calibers. The thickness of the barrel also disperts the heat more evenly through out the barrel with makes the barrel harder to heat up because of the thicker metal. I believe this helps reduce fouling in the barrel. Again, I am not 100% on this so I to would like to hear other comments on this topic.

neufdaddy

I have always understood the reason for a heavy barrel to be about heat. Heat causes metal to swell and when a barrel swells it can change the pressure points on the barrel, that, in turn, can cause a change in POI from shot to shot. A heavy barrel dissipates heat better and because of its sheer mass it's harder to heat up.

sakorick

That's all true, however, once a barrel is hot it's hot irrespective of the barrel size. Most of the P dog hunters like the Heavy barrel cause they can put more bullets downrange all day long. A bull barrel does not reduce fowling. If you read some of David Tubb's stuff, the moly bullets reduce fowling not the barrel weight. If I were going to buy a varmit rifle for P dog hunting or target shooting, I would consider a Bull barrel. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

rockinbbar

One  more thing about a heavy barrel, is that it is more rigid.

When the bullet is going through the barrel of any rifle, it flexes to some extent...like jerking a waterhose....It will flex, then return it it's natural position. It is actually more of a vibration as the bullet travels throught the barrel...

Anyway, a bull barrel, or a flutted heavy barel has more rigidity to it & resists this vibration better than a lightweight barrel.

The heating up factor is the main reason I like my bull barrel rifle though.

And it does aim steadier than a light rifle, but can be a pain to pack up and down the mountain all day, for several miles.

I get lots of extended shooting time at the bench as well, without having to let the barrel cool.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Tags: