I went to the gun shop yesterday

Started by varmint hunter, March 14, 2006, 02:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

varmint hunter

I didnt buy anything but i did have a look around.

As you guys may know, i am in the market for a .22-250, and the shop dude did show me a few rifles. The one he was particularly keen on and which sells well here in Australia was the Remington Model 700 VS SF II. This rifle was on the shelf at $1995 AU, so to me, I thought it was a little overpriced. Your Thoughts?

Also i had a look at the Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x50 ($499). This was a great scope! It turned me on!! He also showed me some Swift scopes, eg. 6-24x50 ($350ish) amongst others. Leupolds were nice to view, despite the price tag, as it goes up a notch from the Bushnell - $700-$800.

Will have to do some looking around, and on Saturday morning i will be back out there, this time in the heart of Melbourne, to look through another shop.

Varmint HUnter

sakorick

That's outrageous. You can buy a custom 22/250 on a mauser action with all the bells and whistles for 1/2 the price .....with a nice new Douglas or Wilson barrel. Bold trigger etc etc. JIMHO. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

rockinbbar

Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

sakorick

Quote from: rockinbbarBack away from the Swift......;)
Bingo

varmint hunter

ok swift thumbs down. I called up a different shop, and they sell the model 700 for $1700, but still a little pricey? They have Rugers around $800+ in the .22-250 - any thoughts on that?

rockinbbar

I'd really check into a Savage if they have one there.

I have 4 of them. They all shoot remarkably well. The price should be less than the Ruger, & half of the Remington....

Rockin'

varmint hunter

i have been looking at savage and do like them. They seem to be difficult to get here in Australia though. Some dont stock it, and other have to order it to get it. I will look deeper though

Any thoughts on Tikka? They seem to be well priced and accurate rifles in the .22/250...

varmint hunter

i forgot to ask rockin, is that shot through the neck, just under the jaw??? Nice one though.

rockinbbar

Broke his neck at 300 yards with a .223 55 gr ballistic tip.:) You would really not believe all the animals that rifle has killed in the past 3 years....(mostly predators)

It think the Tikka rifles are fine as well. You may want to actually heft & shoulder the rifles before you choose. One may fit you better than another.

Hunterbug

UHM, how does AU money convert to American? We are blessed. What is easy to obtain for little money in America is not so in other countries when firearms are concerned.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

M1Garand

Quote from: varmint hunterAny thoughts on Tikka? They seem to be well priced and accurate rifles in the .22/250...
I've heard a lot of good things about the Tikka and if it's priced reasonably may be one to take a closer look at.

sakorick

The Ruger's are nice but need triggers......this one doesn't http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976683307.htm The CZ's have a set trigger.

I also like the Tikkas very much. I have a 7Mag (for sale on GA) that is a tack driver. They have fully adjustable triggers to 2 pounds I believe.

Regards, Rick.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: HunterbugUHM, how does AU money convert to American? We are blessed. What is easy to obtain for little money in America is not so in other countries when firearms are concerned.

I believe that it is all based upon the current market rate for kangaroos.

This seems to be one of the answers 'bug:
http://www.x-rates.com/

Apparently 74 cents on the U S dollar.
[/size]

bigboar

Hello Varmit hunter. I recently purchased a bushnell Elite 3200 in 5-15-50. I agree its a great scope. I don't know who you are dealing with but their prices are high. I gave $350 for mine. I called the shop I purchased it from and he said he could order another for the same price. If your interested I will give you his e-mail.

sakorick

You can get them alot cheaper on eBay...NIB. Go to ebay and this is the item number 7226191895 Regards, Rick.

Tags: