Taking The Turkey With A Bow

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), March 05, 2006, 06:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

I was perusing the 'net this afternoon and I came across several sites dealing with Bowhunting the Turkey.  It then occurred to me that I could not recall seeing threads on this subject on this forum.

I came across this page on a site that addresses the subject:

http://www.dto.com/hunting/topic.jsp?topicid=1

And this:

http://www.bowhunting.net/wildturkey.net/

There seemed to be a general feeling that it was much more difficult than deer hunting.

I've never hunted any birds other than Grouse with a bow so I can't really have much of an opinion.

buckshot roberts

Jay, I 've never done it and in this part of the state I know of no one who does, If I ever do see or hear about it, I'll try to get as much info as I can, but man you have to be very good at it, after turkey season I'll start to work with my bow,  Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

killahog

I live In ohio and I have been hunting turkeys for 20 years I have for the most part mastered it I usually shoot 2 gobblers for myself and call In 2 or 3 for other people every year. Last year was my first attempt at hunting them with a compound , I have killed 4 gobblers with my crossbow But The compound is much different I do not use a blind or bait and Just getting a bird within 25 yards of you sometimes can take a week and Then one has to draw the bow This is where Thing have gone from This is great to how many pieces can I break this bow into, In a matter of seconds It seams like if you just move your eyeballs to look at The bowstring they are gone.  I am sure That The way to do it is hide in a blind but for now I am not ready for that .

gitano

The only turkey I have ever shot was with a bow. I was out squirrel hunting and two jakes snuck up on me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

killahog

I read your reply and I was Just wondering when you hunt squirrrel with a bow do you only take the shots that are on the ground and If not how do you kept from losing your arrows.

gitano

Actually, ground shots are the ones that lead to lost arrows. I used (it has been a long time) blunts (judos), but I always kept a broadhead in my quiver 'just in case'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

DUMI

THis will be my first attempt at trying to get a turkey with a bow.  In a blind.  I am just starting out so I must be a glutton for punishment....

buckshot roberts

:D It'll be a few years before I'll try to turkey hunt with a bow, but the very best of luck to ya,Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

bowhunter 51

I dunno guys......done alot of bowhunting in my day.......deer, fish, sometimes
small game........but turkey?....Too much movement required for one thing....
Shot an ole chicken once with a target arrow.......Thing ran around a day or
so with that arrow run through it before I could get were I could finish it off....
Led me to believe big birds can be hard to kill unless you hit them in the head..
I'm kinda' partial to a good clean harvest.......I'd say I was pretty good with a
bow but not good enough to do a head shot on a turkey........Naw...think I'll
stick with a shotgun........
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

buckshot roberts

:D I'm with ya on that BH51, I can say I'll never get that good with a bow, yep like to make them clean kills myself, Ron

livetohunt

I read though most of the resonses on here for turkeys with a bow.  I concur with all of you that it is difficult at best.  But, it is not impossible.  A good blind makes it much easier.

You can put a turkey down quick in a few places with a bow.  Head shot is obvious but very tough to do.  Two other spots that I prefer are the point where the leg meets the body and the good old Texas heart shot.

Leg joint removes the birds ability to jump into the air for lift off.  They will be anchored well with this shot.

My favorite is to use a decoy and when the bird is strutting, giving you a view of his full-fanned backside, stick one in just above the back door.  That will spine him and definately anchor him.  It also gives you a chance to draw as his head is blocked by his own fan.

Tags: