African Safari What will you bring ?

Started by buckshot roberts, February 26, 2006, 11:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

Were are going on a 6 months African Safari, All is supplied, You must suppy the firearms and ammo, We are hunting,

Big Game, Elephant,Buffalo,
Dangeroes Game, Lions and Leopards,
All the Plains Game, galelle, impala,

What type of rifle will be you "primary" rifle vote for,
Lever,
Bolt,
Double,
Single,

Add In what caliber,
Add if your bring box'ed ammo, or are you are going to roll your on,6 months is a long time, you best bring a 2nd rifle, as well as a sidearm,A shotgun would be nice also, or anything you would like to add.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Rodders

Well, I am here already, but my 2c would be.
bolt action .458 for the heavies - solids for the ele and the buff, softs for the biteys
Then I would bring a bolt action 30-06 for the rest - variety of bullett weights (light for plains, heavy for bush).

Both these calibres are popular in SA so no problems with ammo or components.

Would bring a 12 bore shotgun  - double barrel (side by side cause it looks right) - any other gauge and ammo may be a problem - I would bring aaa, no 3 no 4, no 6 and no 8 shot to cover the full spectrum of wing shooting.

I would stick with popular handgun calibres like .38 spec, 9mm or 40 s and w in order to be sure of finding ammo or components.

All of these are based on purchasing ammo or components here. I you bring your own, then anything that can do the job as well or better than the mentioned calibres would be OK.

Twizzler

Hi Buckshot:
I would cary the double rifle myself. Like to get off the quick second shot if needed. Thick skinned animals like the buffalo I would use the .458 as mentioned by Rodders. I would probaly go with the .375 HH for the thinner skinned stuff like Lion. Still going with the double rifle as the second shot if needed is much easier than a bolt action. A scoped bolt action would be great for long distance shots but for the close shots in the brush open sights on a double rifle would be my choice.

grayghost

I'd take what I posted in my thread: The ultimate gun kit. I believe that would cover all I would need. I'd take factory ammo, most likely Federal premium. Never had any problems with their cartridges. Only problem with South Africa would be the semi-auto shotgun. Nothing but bolt actions or side by sides/over and unders allowed. I didn't mention pistols but if I were taking a pistol, it would be a large caliber revolver or a single shot TC. 30 days would definately require good stamina. Just a 10 day hunt can wear you out if your hunting hard, but a 30 day safari would be the true ultimate hunt. Good hunting, grayghost
In the end....the Hunter hunts himself

Brithunter

Hi All,

Of my current battery I would choose the following:-

.458 Bolt action (Mauser P-H 1100M which has scope + Irons)

.30 Springfield (again Mauser P-H 1100 deluxe)

.270 Win (BSA scope + sporting peep)

12 Bore SxS Non Ejector 30" barrels

That is a the list for factory ammo ;) now if I can bring enough handloads then :-

.458 Win Mag

9.3x57mm (Husqvarna Mauser)

.270 Win

12 Bore SxS NE Boxlock

The 9.3x57 shoots surprisingly flat but I doubt that ammo could be found easiy if at all in Africa, it also shoots 235 grn and 285 grn bullets into the same group at 200 yards, the 286's drop out the bottom at 300 though. Hmmm I suppose I could bring a .303.....

Now if it was a wish list I would replace the .458 with a .416 Rigby or even the .450 Rigby :D  Or even a 9.3x74 Double rifle as I think that I could just about spring the cash for one of those.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: