Dating British-Birmingham proofed Guns

Started by Brithunter, February 21, 2006, 09:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

For those who may have rifles from BSA & Parker-Hale and are interested in when they were made. Despite the records of P-H being destroyed by the new owners in the mid 1980's the daft idiots burnt them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's possible to determine when they were made by the View mark, on BSA's it appears near the proof marks and is somethimes mistakenly taken as part of the proof marks. On P-H rifles it's more normal to find in underneath the barrel which of course requires removal of the stock.

The view mark is crossed swords with letter and numbers in the quadrants formed by the crossed swords for most part however for a period from Jan 1st 1975 - 1984 the view mark is a circle or oval with two letters side-by-side at the top with a digit centrally underneath.

This afternoon I got a copy of these marks and the years they relate too faxed to me from the Birmingham Proof house and have been busy determining when my rifles were made and found a few surprises. I have also found out exactly which model my 30-06 is, it's a Super.

Now some more information for ohiobob, your rifle is a 1200 Super Deluxe. The Deluxe has a Gold trigger as well as some better polishing on the bolt and bolt handle, got this little snippet from an ex-employee with 30 years at P-H, The prefix did follow some sort of sequence and this fellow is going to check his private notes and see if he cannot shed some more light on them for us However it seems that P-H did sort some actions away and did not used them for some years after numbering them hence my "B" prefixed 1200 Super Deluxe was actually proofed in 1988 despite the fact that a "B" prefix is much earlier so check those view marks and then we will see when the rifle was actually proofed. Oh P-H proofed their rifles in the white before finish polishing and blacking so the marks are smooth to the touch, any that feel raised means that the rifle has been submitted for re-proofing at some time .

So Rick now we can really tell when your rifle was made.

This is a view mark:-

Hope this is of someinterest and help :cool:
Go Get them Floyd!

magimp

Are you able top pass on the view mark data,
i have 2 PH rifles , a 30-06 and a 7x57.

Wayne

Tags: